Talk

Advanced search

Job center telling me off for being 3 mins late

(176 Posts)
makowhite Thu 23-Mar-17 09:50:24

When they never apologise when they call me in 20+ mins later (when I'm early) and the half an hour meetings never last more than 5-10 mins.

I'm rarely late, but seeing as the appointment is far longer than needed and they are late most of the time.

PeaFaceMcgee Thu 23-Mar-17 09:53:28

YABU. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 23-Mar-17 09:56:01

Ooh don't speak out about the powers that be, now.hmm.
You should know quite well. Its one rule for them and one for you.

Unusualllly Thu 23-Mar-17 10:01:32

Just because they run late does not give you the right to be late too. Although I understand it is annoying.

MsJamieFraser Thu 23-Mar-17 10:03:04

Well you were late, how did they tell you off?

Stormtreader Thu 23-Mar-17 10:05:20

Its all part of the attitude of treating unemployed people like disobedient children, really annoys me!

Branleuse Thu 23-Mar-17 10:05:54

as long as they didnt sanction you, I would just take it, and try harder to be early next time.

FlyingElbows Thu 23-Mar-17 10:07:50

It's part of the attitude of expecting unemployed people to turn up on time for a pre-arranged appointment just as you would have to were you an employee.

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 23-Mar-17 10:08:17

Exactly, Storm.
The irony is though. If it were not for the unemployed. They wouldn't have a job.

AllebaraMama Thu 23-Mar-17 10:08:42

Wow it was 3 minutes not 30 minutes. They're such arseholes

LilacSpatula Thu 23-Mar-17 10:09:43

Don't they run late as a consequence of people being late? Just sayin... hmm

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 10:10:03

It's an interview. If you were 3 mins late for a job interview you wouldn't get the job.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 23-Mar-17 10:10:56

Presumably they treat it as if you were late for work or for an interview

Awwlookatmybabyspider Thu 23-Mar-17 10:15:59

No one knows why the op was late, though, do we.
For all we know. She may have been caught up in an accident.
Her bus may not have turned up. Anything can happen
. I don't suppose being unemployed, that. She can afford to hire a helicopter.

RB68 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:16:40

Next time they are late give them a good telling off.

More seriously, just tell them it was unavoidable and not a regular occurrence. They are playing power trip and mind games

Its called how to make people feel as shit as possible so they don't come back and we can massage the figures to look good

Bodicea Thu 23-Mar-17 10:19:54

But they probably run late because of people turning up late for their appointments. If no one was late they wouldn't run late as much. Also I assume they are trying to get you to treat it as a job interview.

Lucked Thu 23-Mar-17 10:20:27

I think it is probably a chronic problem with some people and they end up taking it out on everyone.

Unexpected delays happen - buses break down, accidents block roads etc take it on the chin if you can.

theBaldSoprano Thu 23-Mar-17 10:23:34

If everybody arrives a few minutes late to show how casual they are about the appointment, how is that going to help anyone?

HillysChair Thu 23-Mar-17 10:23:39

How many of you have ever actually been to a jobcentre hmm

They don't run back to back appts one in one out, the interview lasts 5-10 mins.

Fuck em OP. It's all part of making it as horrible and dehumanising as possible.

AllebaraMama Thu 23-Mar-17 10:25:42

I've been to the job center before and on more than one occasion I've seen staff scoffing chocolates at their desk, gossiping colleagues or sitting on their phones for up to half an hour. They're piss takers, well most of them.

AllebaraMama Thu 23-Mar-17 10:26:24

So it's not always because other claimants are late. They just like to take breaks when they please.

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 10:27:39

You know they will have paperwork (well computer work) to do after the meeting?

PonderLand Thu 23-Mar-17 10:31:35

When I used to sign on my appt was always delayed. However I suspect this is because a lot of people were late before me!

JustAnotherPoster00 Thu 23-Mar-17 10:31:52

If everybody arrives a few minutes late to show how casual they are about the appointment, how is that going to help anyone?

I take it you haven't been to a job centre lately, if lots of people turned up late there would be a lot of sanctions going on, hopefully they didn't sanction you OP, they sanction for a lot less

welovepancakes Thu 23-Mar-17 10:33:02

I think you have to suck it up, but can see it's frustrating

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now