Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to be unsure how to react on social media when awful events are unfolding?

(54 Posts)
LostSight Thu 23-Mar-17 09:04:45

Does anyone else feel uncomfortable on, (for example) Facebook about all the messages and comments that are made following appalling events?

I just find it hard to know how to respond. I sometimes find it overwhelming and, perhaps rather trite when so many people who are not remotely involved post messages.

Are there people who have been involved in any major incident? Did you find it positive that there was such a public outpouring of sympathy?

I hope this doesn't come across as insensive. I just never know how to react and it makes me personally rather uncomfortable. Modern life has complications that weren't there when I was young.

ImFuckingSpartacus Thu 23-Mar-17 09:05:53

Don't respond. Most of it is just "look at me, how much I care, amn't I amazing?" posting. It's not real.

LadyPW Thu 23-Mar-17 09:06:57

What Spartacus says.

KinkyAfro Thu 23-Mar-17 09:07:21

Ignore or don't use social media like me

Hillarious Thu 23-Mar-17 09:07:37

Absolutely, don't respond. You don't need to add anything.

BeyondThePage Thu 23-Mar-17 09:07:48

It is social media - to me that means just a light bit of frippery - communicating between friends and family.

If I had friends/family involved I might post asking if they were ok (sometimes in these situations direct phone contact is not possible, but wifi available), but generally I don't post at all.

Knifegrinder Thu 23-Mar-17 09:08:37

Be involved with the event. Inform yourself, read the papers, combat the anti-Muslim stereotyping, sign a book of condolence -- but other people's status updates or whatever don't require any response whatsoever from you, nor should they take up a second of your thoughts.

IrenetheQuaint Thu 23-Mar-17 09:08:39

This annoys the hell out of me and I always avoid social media for a couple of days after any terrorist incident. All those trite and pointless comments!

LostSight Thu 23-Mar-17 09:08:49

Oh... Thanks for the quick responses. I was worried it was just me being insensitive.

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 09:09:38

I don't respond. It's a nonsense there's a word for it I can't remember.

PaulAnkaTheDog Thu 23-Mar-17 09:09:58

I don't comment. I do however share the breaking news bulletin in these type of events.

LostSight Thu 23-Mar-17 09:23:39

I think I'd see that as different PaulAnka. It's more the condolence and guidance type messages I think.

I can see, for example, that Theresa May should comment to reassure people. But I actually find it distasteful when people who are in the public eye, but not involved comment.

For example, I have seen comments from church ministers and minor celebrities. I wondered whether they felt pressure to be seen to be posting the 'right thing'.

There are reasons I don't feel able to stop using social media, but I can choose not to react. Thanks again.

Deadsouls Thu 23-Mar-17 09:25:19

Don't respond. I never do.

PortiaCastis Thu 23-Mar-17 09:27:38

Ignore the look at me types who post inappropriate comments about others suffering

10storeylovesong Thu 23-Mar-17 09:30:28

In response to yesterday's events, I and many other police officers I work with, changed our profile picture to a thin blue line. It's in response and solidarity to losing another one of our police family as it really does affect each and every one of us, whether we know that person or not. It reminds you of your mortality and the fact that we too may go to work one day and not come home to our families through trying to protect other families. I didn't feel the need to write a trite status.

ArchNotImpudent Thu 23-Mar-17 09:34:39

Modern life has complications that weren't there when I was young

It undeniably does, but Facebook is one complication you can remove - it's not compulsory to have an account.

SailAwaySailAwaySailAway Thu 23-Mar-17 09:35:35

Responses are not compulsory. Just ignore.

watchoutformybutt Thu 23-Mar-17 09:36:29

Just don't comment on it. It's all so predictable. You get people who aren't anywhere near the event checking on as "safe" (wtf thanks Brenda I know you live in Scotland but I was so worried until you checked on!), a random hashtag, everyone changing their profile picture to the same image. Just avoid it like the plague.

watchoutformybutt Thu 23-Mar-17 09:36:40

Just don't comment on it. It's all so predictable. You get people who aren't anywhere near the event checking on as "safe" (wtf thanks Brenda I know you live in Scotland but I was so worried until you checked on!), a random hashtag, everyone changing their profile picture to the same image. Just avoid it like the plague.

Huldra Thu 23-Mar-17 09:37:37

There's no need to respond.

I use FB to stay in touch with friends and family over the world, there are often links to news bulletins and breaking news. A friend of mine in the states posted links yesterday I imagine to alert his other expat friends and US inlaws. I posted a link and may Canadian brother saw it whilst about to board a plane in South America, he responded with Oh My God.

LouKout Thu 23-Mar-17 09:39:48

i agree. I think people tend to wallow in the details far too much saying things like "I was there 3 weeks ago" and sometimes competitively angsting with each other about it. Not necessary IMO.

MrsHathaway Thu 23-Mar-17 09:40:30

"Look for the helpers."

If you want to engage, Like/React to the posts sharing positive messages.

Brendan Cox saying Islamic fundamentalist terrorists represent Muslims only as much as as his wife's killer represents people from Yorkshire.

Stories of the medical and other emergency responders running towards the scene.

Tobias Ellwood MP attempting to resuscitate one of the injured.

Fortheloveofscience Thu 23-Mar-17 09:40:33

I got quite cross at all the people checking in as 'safe' despite being miles away from the incident. I work a mile down the road and other than hearing the sirens and having the news on-screen, it was business as usual. It reeked of trying to make it 'all about them'.

SharkBastard Thu 23-Mar-17 09:42:33

Most of them are grief vampires who scurry to be the first to post atrocities. I don't respond, I don't need too.

The positive stories are excellent to spread, and there are plenty in times of atrocities.

LouKout Thu 23-Mar-17 09:43:12

and sorry but the threads on here irk me. fair enough if people have genuine involvement and are worried my heart goes out to them but usually it's people wallowing in the ghoulish details and spreading misinformation before anything has been released officially.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now