Talk

Advanced search

Apparently I type too loudly

(177 Posts)
Tabsicle Thu 23-Mar-17 08:14:44

So, I work in an office. Normal open plan.

Apparently one of my colleagues has put in a complaint about me. She says I type too loudly. I do, to be fair, type quickly (90 wpm) and that means I tend to bounce around the keyboard rapidly, and other people have said I type as if I'm in a bad mood (I'm not. I just type at thinking speed).

Nothing else - I don't eat at my desk, I don't really talk much, I don't wear heavy perfume. My boss has been very nice about it and said I'm doing nothing wrong but would it be OK to get me a quieter keyboard, and if that doesn't work, colleague will have to live with it.

AIBU in how I type? Is she? This feels really petty and while I know we don't get on (she's been really ratty and competitive with me recently, which I think it because we work in a target based environment and I've had some very good results lately) I'm a bit thrown that she has actually put in a formal complaint. It seems rather weird too. MN jury?

Pencilvester Thu 23-Mar-17 08:16:25

It is really annoying when people type very loudly. Also, when they wear bangles that clank on the desk. Would it be difficult for you to try and type more quietly?

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 08:18:22

I had a colleague who did this. When she was typing it was really loud and rat a tat tat. And made it very hard to have a phone conversation or concentrate it was so loud. And she had an older keyboard with the deeper keys. So it was rattly.

I'd see if you can get a quieter keyboard or a mat or something for underneath

But she is bu to put in a formal complaint.

Having said that, if others have noticed that it seems as if you're in a bad mood there might be something in it.

I don't know grin I have splinters from sitting in the fence. I hope the keyboard sorts it.

Fruitcocktail6 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:18:30

It's petty but petty things can really grate on people after a while. You could try the quieter keyboard.

HallowedMimic Thu 23-Mar-17 08:19:06

It isn't necessary to bounce around the keyboard just because you type at speed. My son does, and it drives me up the wall.

I type fast, but my fingers sort of brush across the keyboard, there's no need for any noise or force, unless you have a keyboard that intentionally clicks when you press a key.

Tabsicle Thu 23-Mar-17 08:19:16

I don't have bangles.

I have zero idea how to type more quietly. I have tried, but it reduces my speed by more than half, and slows up my work pretty heavily.

EastMidsMummy Thu 23-Mar-17 08:19:17

A formal complaint? Jesus!

Loud typing is annoying but your colleague is a douchebag.

treaclesoda Thu 23-Mar-17 08:19:39

It's hard to say. But in reality you can never please people. A few months ago I worked in a job where in the space of 24 hours one person complained that I was too loud and another complained that I was too quiet. hmm

Lunalovepud Thu 23-Mar-17 08:20:33

This has nothing to do with the volume of typing - it sounds like this is just a way for your colleague to try to legitimise her dislike /jealousy of you. Sad really...

I'd agree with your boss - try a quiet keyboard and if that doesn't work she'll just have to live with it. Or she can move desks. Whatever.

LadyPW Thu 23-Mar-17 08:21:04

I've heard you breathe too heavily too - could you stop breathing sometimes too? grin
Maybe suggest that they try to block out the sound of your typing with their own. After all, if you're busy working then you don't notice someone else's typing (unless you're autistic and have noise sensory issues but I don't think that's the case here!)

Tabsicle Thu 23-Mar-17 08:21:07

Work keyboard clicks every time I type.

OK. I'm BU.

Still no idea how to fix it as I've always typed like this. Gah. I guess I suck up the half speed work while I try and teach myself to type again.

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 08:21:53

Can I ask. Did you train (like my annoying colleague and me) on a manual typewriter?

Because I think that makes you type heavier. Because I'm the olden days you had to hit the keys a lot harder than nowadays.

JumpingJellybeanz Thu 23-Mar-17 08:21:59

One of my colleagues once complained that I breathed too loudly. Some people are weird.

EffinElle Thu 23-Mar-17 08:22:07

Yanbu, that sounds ridiculous!

Universitychallenging Thu 23-Mar-17 08:22:15

*in

MumBod Thu 23-Mar-17 08:22:24

Oh ignore her. If she wasn't spending her time focusing on your tapping she might get some bloody work done herself.

MissisQuigley Thu 23-Mar-17 08:22:44

I also type too loudly according to my colleagues. Are you an old gimmer like me Op? I learnt on a manual typewriter and you had to thump the keys! I could type more quietly, but it would really slow me down.

TheProblemOfSusan Thu 23-Mar-17 08:23:15

A formal complaint over your typing speed is fucking ridiculous. Absolutely out of tree unsensible.

I type fast like you and on the wrong keyboard it makes a clatter, it must just be a style of typing, but there's a really really easy way to deal with this. "Not your fault but you really typing noise is driving me potty, can we order you one of these quieter keyboards?".

Formal complaint, honestly.

apotheke Thu 23-Mar-17 08:23:30

Are you on my train right now? There is a woman beside me whose nails clacking loudly and quickly on her laptop are making me want to scream!

MaroonPencil Thu 23-Mar-17 08:23:55

DH, who I work with, says I type too loudly. I try to keep it down if he is on the phone but otherwise, as with you OP, that is just the way I type, and typing more quietly equals getting less work done. I press hard with a pen too.

Jellybean85 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:24:03

I used to be you!! blush after a few people pointed it out to me I did make an effort, I found that actually I was hitting with way more force than was needed. It's really possible to type as fast as we do gently! A newer keyboard will help too.

The irony is now I'm aware of it and I've fixed the problem (I think) it drives me crazy when other people do it grin
Honestly try going more gentle. It didn't take me long to adjust and didn't slow me down

jcne Thu 23-Mar-17 08:24:45

It is annoying when someone hammers away on their desk. I have a colleague who needs to stamp a lot of things and fucking hell don't I know it. A formal complaint sounds a lot extreme though, assuming you haven't skipped out the party they politely approached you and you told them to F off. I'm sure a higher quality keyboard will alleviate this. It wouldn't hurt to be mindful of how much racket you are making though.

Tabsicle Thu 23-Mar-17 08:24:56

Universitychallenging - I did! I did a secretarial course when I was sixteen which included typing. My mum said that every girl should have typing and shorthand so she would never be out of work. This probably gives away my age as well. grin

So you might be right that it's something with that.

MaidOfStars Thu 23-Mar-17 08:25:05

Get a soft touch keyboard. Anything with keys that click should be smothered with petrol and set fire to.

BellyBean Thu 23-Mar-17 08:25:33

A different keyboard can make a big difference. But your boss has already said you don't need to try to type more quietly, so don't worry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now