Talk

Advanced search

Any police around? Shit my stupid new phone dialed 999 on the pin screen help

(47 Posts)
schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 06:50:00

Just looked and realise my stupid new phone which has a stupid emergency function which pops up if you enter your pin wrong and has flipping dialled 999 only I didn't realise it had (pocked dial). Do I need to do anything? Will they call back. Stressed!

Snowflakes1122 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:58:49

They'll probably call back. Just answer it and apologise and explain.

I did this by accident with my aunts phone as a kid!

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 07:08:55

Thanks snowflakes. sad

JonesyAndTheSalad Thu 23-Mar-17 07:28:25

They won't call back. They will turn up. They never just call back in case it puts the caller in danger.

highinthesky Thu 23-Mar-17 07:29:25

^^ Perhaps Down Under...in the UK they call back.

WatchingFromTheWings Thu 23-Mar-17 07:32:10

Yes here in the uk they call back. My son dialled 999 from the phone when he was a kid. Had no idea until the phoned back. They weren't very nice about and I had a telling off. We bought and hung a wall mounted phone within a few hours (in the days before mobile phones were essential!).

MagentaRocks Thu 23-Mar-17 07:32:12

In the U.K. We call back unless we have information on our systems related to the caller of that phone that relates to domestic abuse. Normally it is 3 ring backs. If there is a disturbance heard we generally won't call back either. If we have information on where the person lives we will attend if disturbance is heard or previous domestic calls.

Tighnamara Thu 23-Mar-17 07:33:20

The police came to my door when I did this and also came into the house to check all was well. They were surprisingly understanding. I'm in the UK.

magoria Thu 23-Mar-17 07:34:42

We had 2 very nice police knock on the door one afternoon.

I thought DS was just play chatting on the house phone.

They recommended putting it out of toddler reach in future and were cool about it.

He is a big teenage lump now so things may have changed.

Gunpowder Thu 23-Mar-17 07:34:45

My daughter did it a couple of years ago (toddler playing with mobile phone) They called back. DH apologised. He said they were nice.

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 07:43:37

Thanks all. Magentarocks how soon would they call. Been at least an hour since it happened. Sorry to call handlers and 999 staff for being a dickhead blush

RachelRagged Thu 23-Mar-17 07:47:51

I remember a night in 1994. Police at my door asking if all was alright, it was. They come in and made a joke re cuffing my little toddler. Yep she had dialled. That was,UK but years ago.

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 07:55:54

Those who had them come out. Was it pretty soonish after the call?

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 07:56:37

I've removed the bloody pin screen now BTW so shouldn't happen again.

Snowflakes1122 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:59:01

They called straight away. I remember bursting into tears as I was 7! blush

Don't worry or feel bad. They were nice enough to my aunt. Accidents happen.

Are you sure your phone even calls them properly? I'd of thought you'd have heard something by now.

BertieBotts Thu 23-Mar-17 09:02:01

If you made any sounds when you hung up like "Oh shit!" or similar then they might have just realised it was an accidental dial. As long as you hung up straight away, it's not like you were holding a line up for ages.

BertieBotts Thu 23-Mar-17 09:03:22

DS called from the house phone when a baby. They called back and I hadn't even realised blush They were a bit short and suggested (fairly) that I put the phone out of his reach.

Bloopbleep Thu 23-Mar-17 09:05:32

This happened to me years ago and they called me back immediately and were extremely arsey with me about it. I apologised profusely but it wasn't enough.

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 09:18:16

It definitely connected as i felt it vibrate (it vibrates as a call is made), pulled the phone from my pocket said oh Shit blush when I saw the number and tried to hang up before someone actually answered but as I pressed the end button I heard someone speak but had already pressed end so couldn't react.

Hopefully they heard the oh Shit bit and realised I'm an idiot!

My neighbour in shared flats often has welfare checks done by police so if they location the number they will probably come sigh.

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 09:18:18

It definitely connected as i felt it vibrate (it vibrates as a call is made), pulled the phone from my pocket said oh Shit blush when I saw the number and tried to hang up before someone actually answered but as I pressed the end button I heard someone speak but had already pressed end so couldn't react.

Hopefully they heard the oh Shit bit and realised I'm an idiot!

My neighbour in shared flats often has welfare checks done by police so if they location the number they will probably come sigh.

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 09:20:07

Obviously I didn't really it had or could dial till the point it vibrated as a call was instigated

schoolofconfusion Thu 23-Mar-17 09:21:15

*realise hate this phone today

pleasecomesoonspring Thu 23-Mar-17 09:21:19

They called back within minutes when my lo did it, very understanding.

Redglitter Thu 23-Mar-17 09:21:29

Police don't just routinely attend dropped 999 calls. We don't have the time or resources. If it had connected you'd get a call back asking you to confirm everything was OK. If there's sounds of a disturbance in the background etc someone would attend but then with mobile phones the caller could be anywhere

ChrisYoungFuckingRocks Thu 23-Mar-17 09:40:21

School - how did you remove the pin screen? My mobile is forever going onto the emergency call screen! I'd actually have to press 999 though, it doesn't have an automatic dial (I don't think).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now