Talk

Advanced search

AIBU.. Terrified of smear!

(17 Posts)
StudentMum92 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:20:22

Hi ladies

Just after some reassurance really as I have my smear test today!

It's my first smear since in years and it's the first time a professional has been down there since giving birth to DD 8 months ago!

Memories of having painful sweeps keep coming back and I start to panic!

My family has a history of cervical so I have to go but I'm so scared.

Pathetic I know, IABU sad

bigchris Thu 23-Mar-17 06:22:06

It will be fine
You could take a couple of ibuprofen while you sit in the waiting room if you think it might hurt although in my experience having a baby means everything is much looser down there grin

NikkiP53 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:33:58

I understand your worries but please just go ahead and get it over with - it will be over in seconds and no way near as bad as your sweep. Once you've done it it won't seem as bad the next time. Good luck and best wishes

StudentMum92 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:39:21

Thanks for your reassurance!

Should I take paracetamol or ibuprofen beforehand? How long before my appointment?

whodoesntloveafluffycat Thu 23-Mar-17 06:49:24

Get to your appointment in plenty of time so you don't feel rushed and go to the loo beforehand if you need to.
Is it with the Practice Nurse? If so explain that you are nervous and she'll take it easy. It really shouldn't hurt, just be a bit uncomfortable

rosie1959 Thu 23-Mar-17 06:56:03

Please don't worry I have had many a smear test and apart from being in an ungainly position it's never hurt or even felt uncomfortable

AmethystRaven Thu 23-Mar-17 06:56:19

I usually rattle on about whatever pops into my head to take my mind off it. Last time the nurse was telling me about a fashion show she was in as she was doing it! It's only a few minutes, hope it goes well.

amprev Thu 23-Mar-17 06:59:10

Have you got a rubber squeezy stress ball? I find these really help me in situations like this (and I've had smears, vaginal ultrasounds and a xolonoscopy! ).

NikkiP53 Thu 23-Mar-17 07:05:16

It won't hurt to take paracetamol beforehand if it reassures you, not sure you actually need to though. It takes up to an hour to work so maybe take it 45 mins or so before apt? You'll be fine just think it's only a few minutes out of your life x

Coughandsplutter Thu 23-Mar-17 07:05:48

Try and relax and tension will make it worse. Tell nurse you're nervous. Paracetamol half hour before. Deep breaths, as nurse is doing it, in through nose, out through mouth. Go to a happy place, mine is always a beach. Then give yourself a little reward after!

NikkiP53 Thu 23-Mar-17 07:06:39

@amprev me too, I have ulcerative colitis so when the nurse is all nice and reassuring at a smear test, I'm like don't worry I've had worse things out in worse places haha sorry tmi

LollyLarkin Thu 23-Mar-17 08:26:17

Wear a skirt so you don't have to strip totally below the waist (I feel somehow more in control!), tell them how nervous you are, turn away and focus on your breathing, go and have a reward coffee and cake! You will feel so much better once it's over and done with but the anticipation is horrible. Good luck.

LadyLaSnack Thu 23-Mar-17 08:34:37

I had a smear recently OP, about five months after DS was dragged into the world after multiple sweeps, induction, breaking of waters etc, (he was eventually born by section).

I was scared, like you, as was my poor traumatised cervix.

Honestly it was like a spa day in comparison!! Totally fine!!

Miserylovescompany2 Thu 23-Mar-17 08:38:38

The fear is worse than the actual smear itself. I had myself worked up for days. The doctor was aware of my anxieties, let me go at my own pace, explained exactly what she was going to do. It was over in minutes.

Yes, it was uncomfortable, but, nothing like I'd built it up to be in my mind. It's nothing like a pelvic sweep.

I was covered with disposable paper across my mid section, so wasn't completely exposed.

I didn't take pain relief prior to the smear - I have a VERY low pain threshold.

StudentMum92 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:32:57

Hi everyone! Thanks for your reassurance!

It was fine! Drama lama over nothing haha!
There was blood in the sample so may have to go again if they can't see the cells clearly.

Miserylovescompany2 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:56:02

At least you know what to expect next time. Fingers crossed you don't need to repeat anytime soon...

StudentMum92 Thu 23-Mar-17 14:56:51

Thank you!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now