We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

trying to get something done about car parked in front of house?

(13 Posts)
Iris65 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:10:38

We live in an area where everyone has to park on the road. Very difficult to get parked. Over 6 weeks ago I noticed a car parked badly outside our house.It has not moved for 6 weeks and I have seen no one who it seems to belong to.
I've reported to to the council and wonder whether to report it as a possibly stolen car - its a very nice BMW estate with kids stuff on the back seat.
Anyone have any experience? Could it be parked up while the owners are on holiday? Do people do that for long periods?!

CheesyChristie Wed 22-Mar-17 20:12:05

Have you checked whether it's taxed? If it is I don't think you can do anything.

cluelessjane Wed 22-Mar-17 20:12:16

I wonder if you live near me OP as I have exactly the same situation and I'm pretty sure it's a BMW too...

MontePulciana Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:09

Are you near a major airport? People do this on my uncles street for weeks at a time (he's 0.5miles from Manchester airport).

TheNaze73 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:15:03

If it's taxed, insured & not in a restricted parking zone, there's not much you can do.

If you haven't done so already, check here.

www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-tax

Yukbuck Wed 22-Mar-17 20:16:15

Yy to checking if it's taxed... I suppose if you've reported it then it's probably not stolen as the police would have been notified if someone had had a car stolen. Not sure what you can do. In what way is it badly parked?

Lemontwist Wed 22-Mar-17 20:23:02

It might be worth logging with police to check if it's stolen. DH had his car nicked a few years ago and several weeks later it was used in a ram raid. The police said that often car thieves will steal a car then park it up for a few weeks. If it's not been picked up by police after a while then the thieves take it back and do whatever they do with it.

Iris65 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:29:34

Its a white BMW estate parked with one of the rear back wheels on the pavement and at an angle into the road.
Will check if its taxed when I go out tomorrow - can't be bothered to go and look at the registration now. It could be taxed and stolen I think?
I'll also log it with the police as out council are useless very overstretched. They may not have even looked at the report yet.

Iris65 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:38:58

Well once it was on my mind I had to go and check. Tax runs out in a week. Vehicle tax enforcement pretty strict round here so I'll report it once its run out and no doubt then they'll collect it 😏
We're not near an airport but within walking distance of a major train station.

lrb978 Wed 22-Mar-17 21:22:15

It could have been stolen and left for a while. This happened with the car of a family member, car stolen then found a few weeks later after a member of the public reported it, it had been left parked up on a side street about a 5 minute drive from where it was taken from (and co-incidentally also had childrens stuff on view in the back). It may be worth calling 101, explain the situation and give them the number plate to check. If it hasn't been reported as stolen then there is no harm done.

Iris65 Sun 26-Mar-17 15:16:42

Car gone. Got up this morning and it had gone overnight.

DeeNR Sun 26-Mar-17 17:47:03

Maybe it belonged to someone on Mumsnet!

Iris65 Mon 27-Mar-17 20:10:06

😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now