Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to say that the vast majority of women are sexually assaulted at some point [poss trigger]

(553 Posts)
knackeredinyorkshire Wed 22-Mar-17 20:04:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Backingvocals Wed 22-Mar-17 20:06:37

Totally. Every woman I know. My DD one day I guess sad

PeaFaceMcgee Wed 22-Mar-17 20:07:02

Groping in clubs and catcalling.

nutbrownhare15 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:07:54

Same as Peaface

gigi556 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:08:15

Nope. YANBU. Me and every woman I know. It really sucks.

MrsTwix Wed 22-Mar-17 20:08:17

I've been groped on public transport but thankfully nothing worse. I think you might be right I'm afraid.

Ftumch Wed 22-Mar-17 20:10:08

I agree. I don't think I have ever spoken to somebody about these things and they have said "No, never happened to me". I think a lot of women see it as just an inevitable part of life. sad

Porpoiselife Wed 22-Mar-17 20:10:32

Yep. I'm dreading when my girls will be going out independently sad

Sittinginthesun Wed 22-Mar-17 20:10:45

I agree completely. I have led a fair dull life, but, off the top if my head, I can think of at least five occasions when I have been assaulted - only one of which was during a drunken night out.

I have been assaulted at work by a senior manager. By a fellow student in Halls. By a "friend" who I met for lunch, and then jumped on me. By a group of strangers who grabbed me in the street and put their hands down my top.

LBOCS2 Wed 22-Mar-17 20:11:22

Yep, and every woman I know.

MumBod Wed 22-Mar-17 20:11:51

Groped and harassed in clubs.
Coercion.

therootoftheroot Wed 22-Mar-17 20:12:53

yes i agree about the inevitable part of life. i have two teenage sons and i was talking to my eldest about this one day. The time i was in a club and my boyfriend's mate put his hand up my skirt, the time the man on the bus groped my arse from behind, the bra snapping at school etc etc
he was really really shocked.

AwkwardSquad Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:04

Yup, multiple, starting from age eight or nine.

TheBatPig Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:18

I was first sexually harassed (assaulted?) when I was 11. Its happened numerous times since then. It's also happened to most females I know well enough to speak of such subjects with. Some more severe (gang rape) others less violent but still upsetting or intimidating nonetheless. Its common, in my experience.

Destinysdaughter Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:18

No, most women I know have. I was once on a course with about 20 pp and I disclosed about what had happened to me as a teenager, was shocked to realise that something similar had happened to 8 other women in the room...

TheOnlyLivingBoyInNewCross Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:35

Coercive moments with boyfriends (no, not just one dickhead bloke in my past...). Male boss in the pub I worked in who used to love squeezing behind me at the bar so that his crotch rubbed up againt my bum. Yelled at randomly in the street about the size of my boobs.

cuirderussie Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:42

Yes, attempted rape, groping, flashing, verbal abuse, some scary threatening situations -and really, my experiences are unremarkable among my friends in our lifetimes. Can't bear to think of my dd having anything bad happen to her but no one completely escapes it sad

jellyfrizz Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:57

Multiple.

loveyouradvice Wed 22-Mar-17 20:14:58

Yes multiple... me and every woman I know... DO NOT WANT IT TO HAPPEN TO MY DAUGHTER... so support everything which helps changes this unpleasant aspect of the world...

zoobaby Wed 22-Mar-17 20:15:18

You are correct. As a child... 2 girls pursued by about 4 boys (very scared) in stairwell of hospital (saved by some builders working on site). Nothing happened but it was fully freaky and I know for sure they didn't just want to say hi. Also as a child... indecent exposure by a man who was later caught after he had actually attempted to lure a girl into his car. As a teen/young woman... groping, mainly the bum and occasionally the chest area, in packed places. Not so much these days thankfully. Not young enough I suppose.

nicetoseeyoutoseeyounice Wed 22-Mar-17 20:15:26

Sadly yes. It's seemingly ok to grope or harass if drunk. Cat call in public. Invade a woman's personal space without it being a "big deal" Most women i know, if not all of them have experienced this to some degree. I've never really thought about it until now.

AwkwardSquad Wed 22-Mar-17 20:16:21

Only attempted assault, minor assault, harassment, exposure, catcalling though. 'Only'.

Crispbutty Wed 22-Mar-17 20:16:32

Yes sad more than once

CwtchMeQuick Wed 22-Mar-17 20:17:01

Been flashed, groped, cat called, forced into sex by an abusive ex. Unfortunately most women I know have also had similar experiences.

AyeAmarok Wed 22-Mar-17 20:17:07

Yep, every woman I know has had something like this, of varying degrees of seriousness.

Sadly, I know a few who took it as a compliment sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now