Talk

Advanced search

AIBU... Out of date food!

(12 Posts)
StudentMum92 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:58:34

WIBU to cook tonight 3x chicken breast fillets that went out of date yesterday? Unopened.

Will we be violently ill? How many of you would do it?

Dontsayyouloveme Wed 22-Mar-17 17:59:31

With chicken - no chance!

HerOtherHalf Wed 22-Mar-17 18:00:35

One day? Assuming they've been refrigerated it wouldn't bother me. I tend to use my senses (e.g. does it smell off) as a more reliable indication than use by dates.

Renaissance2017 Wed 22-Mar-17 18:00:45

Why wouldn't you? Surely you know if it's off?

When you buy from the butcher they don't have sell by dates.

Indiebar Wed 22-Mar-17 18:00:52

I'd eat it. Just make sure it's cooked. As you would anyway. It's only a guidance.

DaisyQueen Wed 22-Mar-17 18:01:18

If it smells fine would eat it, I have done in the past and never been ill from it

DermotOLogical Wed 22-Mar-17 18:01:33

Odds are you'll be fine. Smell them before using and see. Trust your senses. You wouldn't eat them if they smelled off within date.

PastysPrincess Wed 22-Mar-17 18:02:01

If it smells fine I would eat it.

girlandboy Wed 22-Mar-17 18:02:56

Of course I'd cook it. It doesn't go off at the stroke of midnight you know!
Is it green?
Does it smell awful?
If not, cook it!!

Snowkitty Wed 22-Mar-17 18:03:32

It'll be fine, I'd use it unless it smelled off. Just cook well - but that applies to chicken anyway. Tomorrow I might be a little more cautious...

remoaniac Wed 22-Mar-17 18:04:13

One day? Yes. I'd probably cook them up to 2 days over.

Manufacturers/suppliers do not put tight use-by deadlines on things, they will leave themselves quite a lot of leeway. I think you've always got at least an extra day.

loaferloveforyou Wed 22-Mar-17 18:17:59

I would...but then I am trying to lose weight so....[light hearted]

But seriously, I'd do the sniff test and if it passes I'll consider using it. I am quite funny about use by dates though except when it comes to fruit and veg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now