Talk

Advanced search

Where's Theresa?

(267 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

TheOldLandmark Wed 22-Mar-17 17:22:01

Following the shocking news from London, where is the Leader of the U.K and what is her response to this?

MichaelSheensNextDW Wed 22-Mar-17 17:23:41

Holding COBRA meeting but bad form not to have spoken quickly or even released a statement via an intermediary.

PlayOnWurtz Wed 22-Mar-17 17:24:18

Downing street dealing with COBRA she's got more important things to do than hold a press conference

TeenAndTween Wed 22-Mar-17 17:24:40

Give her a chance to have the full facts and prepare a statement.
I'm sure she will in due course.

TheOldLandmark Wed 22-Mar-17 17:35:29

MichaelSheensNextDW My thought too. People are scared and looking for answers. My sympathy to the relatives and friends of those affected. Can't speak highly enough of the emergency services and Police on the ground who responded with calm and professionalism.

A speech from the heart, and hip, would be appropriate from May, No?

The80sweregreat Wed 22-Mar-17 17:35:54

She needs more information i suppose.
Need to have a meeting with everyone first, security , M15 etc a COBRA meeting.,
Terrible times.

nancy75 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:39:19

A statement from someone that does not have all the facts in the middle of what could be an ongoing situation is not really worth much, I would rather she carried on with the cobra meeting

Lindy2 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:44:19

The incident is ongoing. I'm sure she will make a statement at the appropriate time. Why so keen to immediately criticise?

TheOldLandmark Wed 22-Mar-17 17:44:44

Agree re: terrible times The80sweregreat

I am far removed (geographically) from current events but watching every news report with great sadness.

All I've heard so far in the past hours about the PM is that she was 'bundled into a silver Jaguar' - not exactly reassuring for those closer and most affected by what's happened.

Just heard...she has spoken to Donald Trump.

CaroleService Wed 22-Mar-17 17:46:30

A joint statement from Commons Speaker John Bercow and Lord Fowler, the Lord Speaker, said: "On behalf of Members of both Houses of Parliament, we wish to offer our thoughts to all those affected and their families.
"We would also like to express our gratitude to the police and all emergency services."

That'll do for me

nancy75 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:47:24

What did you expect her to do, rush out into the street to have it out with the bloke with the knife?
She's the PM, of course her security got here out of there straight away, it's their job

Imjustapoorboy Wed 22-Mar-17 17:47:45

Oh good - a chat with the Donald is so reassuring

I'm surprised she didn't go through the tunnels to no 10. Wouldn't have thought they would have overground

PlayOnWurtz Wed 22-Mar-17 17:48:02

She's got to get over the incident too. She's human. She was involved and a witness so will need to be interviewed too.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:49:04

She's chairing a cobra meeting. Where she should be.

BishopBrennansArse Wed 22-Mar-17 17:49:41

Right. Cos Duck Fart has all the answers.

Cobra is more reassuring, however.

BreatheDeep Wed 22-Mar-17 17:50:03

She was bundled into a car to protect her and remove her from the area because it was thought the attacker was heading into parliament. That's not unreasonable. She hasn't had a chance to speak publicly yet, especially as she's not aware of the full facts.

And I really dislike the woman.

Lindy2 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:51:02

Of course her security got her out and away asap. I think that would be standard for any head of state in any country. I think you're trying to use this tragic event as an opportunity to have a dig at the PM. Very inappropriate and disrespectful to those involved.

MrsT2007 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:51:31

She's doing her job.
Chairing a COBRA meeting, talking to MI5....whichnis what she should be doing

TheOldLandmark Wed 22-Mar-17 17:52:04

Lindy2 There has been an attack on Parliament and two people have died so far. It is not too much to ask that, some hours later, the P.M could have spoken to the country and given some reassurance, even if she cannot give the details of what caused this?

I'm not looking for exact facts and figures, just support for those who are still stuck in offices, have a difficult journey home, childcare to organise, relatives who may be affected, etc. etc. etc.

scottishdiem Wed 22-Mar-17 17:52:21

So what do you want? An immediate announcement but either lacking in detail or based purely on speculation?

Do you want facts or will you actually be soothed by platitudes uttered by the PM?

There is a whole range of things that kick in during these situations. Protocols to follow. Safety to be managed. The whole place is in lockdown still and you want a press conference that will say nothing of detail or fact?

I'd prefer fact over made up stuff. Look what happened with the Jean Charles de Menezes situation - all made up press briefings with no reference to the truth.

As much as I hate the woman the answer to your question is - doing her job, which doesnt include holding you hand.

PerspicaciaTick Wed 22-Mar-17 17:52:23

People are scared and looking for answers.

There just aren't any answers at the moment. It is barely two hours since the events happened. The police have issued a statement. What can the PM say?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 22-Mar-17 17:52:57

Yes it is too much OP. Stop being a gf.

LilacSpatula Wed 22-Mar-17 17:54:21

Yeah, because that's going to make us all feel better? Teresa telling us all is well?!

RTKangaMummy Wed 22-Mar-17 17:54:22

IMHO she could have just put out to news stations etc a very short sentence/statement thanking the emergency services and sending sympathy to the families involved

Obviously she needs to get all the info together and have meetings etc before being ready to put a full statement out but just think she could have put a short sentence out

PlayOnWurtz Wed 22-Mar-17 17:55:25

She has also been directly involved in a serious incident. Give the woman a break!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now