Talk

Advanced search

Work colleague ordering inform...aibu

(37 Posts)
Figglesticks Wed 22-Mar-17 13:44:30

Male work colleague has asked me what size top I want and then told me he'd be ordering the size up from what I asked for because he fits in a large and he "wants me to be comfortable".
Not sure he realises he's just insulted me but aibu to be annoyed by this?
Feel free to tell me if I am because I'm already in a bad mood and my weight it a bit of a sore spot for me. Fwiw I'm a size 8 in tops.

loaferloveforyou Wed 22-Mar-17 13:46:42

Is he small build? Do the sizes come up small usually?

ImperialBlether Wed 22-Mar-17 13:48:05

But a size 8 is small!

Why is a man asking your size and commenting on it? That's a bit inappropriate, isn't it?

HecateAntaia Wed 22-Mar-17 13:50:28

maybe they are a little tight for the size?

If it is his role to order uniform for staff then maybe he knows from experience that people normally need a size up because of the cut of it or whatever.

I wouldn't assume it was an insult.

That said, you are perfectly free to say to him actually, no thank you, I would like you to order the size I have requested.

HermioneJeanGranger Wed 22-Mar-17 13:50:54

Why aren't you ordering your own uniform? confused

Allthebestnamesareused Wed 22-Mar-17 13:52:58

Maybe he was asking what size you normally are but advising to go up a size because the uniform comes up small but in a clumsy manner.

I suspect he was saying he was usually a medium but had to have a large so if you are normally an 8 you might need a 10.

I think not being insulting just saying you need to order a size bigger as they come up small.

Crispbutty Wed 22-Mar-17 13:52:59

If it's anything like the work tops that we have just got at work then he is just saying that they come up small. People at our place who would normally wear 8-10 have had to have 12-14.

Figglesticks Wed 22-Mar-17 13:53:13

I wouldn't say he's small at all but about average build for a bloke. I don't know about the sizes. I haven't seen or heard of them before today.

DoNotBlameMeIVotedRemain Wed 22-Mar-17 13:56:01

Presumably you've asked for a small and he's said they come up small so suggests a medium may be more comfortable. Size 8 is small but it might be more like extra small. I think that is fine.

dowhatnow Wed 22-Mar-17 13:56:23

I think you are being over sensitive too. If he's average size then he probably takes a medium but needed a large.

Don't define yourself by your weight. You are worth so much more than what you weigh.

HecateAntaia Wed 22-Mar-17 13:58:10

if he is average sized and needed a large then isn't that more likely that the sizes come up small?

Bluntness100 Wed 22-Mar-17 14:01:26

I'd also think he was simoly saying the uniforms come up small and you need to be able to move around and be comfortable in it. I would not assume he was trying to be offensive.

Why is your weight a sore point for you? Do you wish to be bigger and he has hit that sore spot by mistake?

IamFriedSpam Wed 22-Mar-17 14:03:58

I would assume he meant he's usually a medium but wears a large because the uniform comes up a bit small? Because you're petit he probably wasn't being careful as he assumed weight wasn't a sore point for you.

TotalPineapple Wed 22-Mar-17 14:07:46

I also think he was saying the sizes are small so he's order one size bigger for you.

I have to hand out overalls to visitors by guessing their size from looking at them, it's bloody awkward at times, especially when there's a group and I have to give them different sizes.

SauvignonBlanche Wed 22-Mar-17 14:10:42

I don't think he has necessarily insulted you. My work uniforms are smaller than usual sizes. I had to get an order together for my whole team, I explained to them all that they'd need to go up a size but no one believed me!

As they were being embroidered with their name they had to be right so I had some samples for them to try and ever single one had to come back and ask for a bigger size as they'd not taken the sizing advice.

Cheap uniform manufacturers probably want to use less cloth. hmm

wettunwindee Wed 22-Mar-17 14:14:43

The way he told you he fits a large but you see him as average (medium) means it doesn't sound like it was insulting so yes, you're BU.

ShotsFired Wed 22-Mar-17 14:28:50

I occasionally have to order promotional clothing for events and I hate asking people for their sizes. I try and word the emails about it as disinterestedly as I can (if that is even possible). I also include size charts and mention if things run small or large.

I never ever send out a mass confirmation with everyone's size listed, and I will pay a fee for the clothing co to pack and label them individually for me, so people just pick up the bag with their name on when they're delivered to the offices.

Figglesticks Wed 22-Mar-17 14:29:37

I think I am being too sensitive. Better to let it out here than let rip at the bloke when he's trying to order uniform. I think he should have shown us the measurements but I'll leave him to it and send it back if it's too big.
I'm sensitive because growing up I was 5stone (5foot 2 teenager). Whilst I realise that was unhealthy i still miss that size. I don't know why but I've always been petite. Now I'm older that's gone to pot quite a bit and I don't feel like I'm me any more.

Floggingmolly Wed 22-Mar-17 14:32:44

Do you have an eating disorder, op? It's not normal to hark back to the days when you weighed five stone, and feel depressed that you're no longer that size.

TheOnlyColditz Wed 22-Mar-17 14:38:52

5 stone is not something for an adult to aspire to, and you're being silly.

welovepancakes Wed 22-Mar-17 14:39:34

If he was saying that he is usually a Medium but for work uniform he's a Large, I think that's OK for him to explain that you'll need one size larger than usual

troodiedoo Wed 22-Mar-17 14:41:30

In my experience work clobber always comes up small. And people do have a habit of saying they are smaller than they are (not saying you are of course!)

HarryPottersMagicWand Wed 22-Mar-17 14:44:16

You miss the days of being 5 stone and have taken offence to having a bigger size ordered when you are a size 8? You have an issue I'm afraid. Size 8 is very small as it is. I am a 10 and I certainly wouldn't want to be any smaller and am aware I am slim. You seem to think you are not small at an 8.

peachgreen Wed 22-Mar-17 14:47:49

OP, if you are looking back on that weight with longing, I would gently suggest that you might benefit from some counselling.

Otherpeoplesteens Wed 22-Mar-17 14:48:48

Whenever I've been involved in ordering uniforms I always order a size up from what people ask for because sadly, in my experience, women almost always delude themselves about their sizes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now