Talk

Advanced search

To think just because something was possible 10 years ago, it might not necessarily be possible now?

(21 Posts)
MycatsaPirate Wed 22-Mar-17 13:28:46

A friend has posted on FB about her dc looking for a car.

I jumped on and suggested keeping engine size low and going for a car which would be cheap to repair and find parts for. I also said how much my DD's insurance was (£1,600) on a 1.2L.

A friend of hers then said 'oh well it won't be that much, you just need to hunt about for a cheaper quote. When I got my first car it was £900 for a 1.6i'. Turns out that was 10 years ago and she was 19, not 17.

I have tried to explain that things are very different now but she is adamant that if this lad hunts about he will be able to insure his car for a lot cheaper than my DD paid.

AIBU to think you can't argue with stupid and that times fucking change?

It's like saying my parents bought a house in 1960 for £2,000 and therefore it's easy to get on the property market because they hunted about and got a really cheap house.

Hellmouth Wed 22-Mar-17 13:30:19

I agree, you can't argue with stupid.

There is no way a teenager could get car insurance for that little now!

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 22-Mar-17 13:32:37

I insured my son last year aged 17 for a 1.4l car. It cost £850 so definitely doable.

harderandharder2breathe Wed 22-Mar-17 13:33:03

Yanbu but there's no arguing with stupid so let them get on with it, they'll soon learn

uncoolnn Wed 22-Mar-17 13:33:35

grin I'm 23 and my first car insurance 6 years ago was £1400. I imagine it's even more than that now. Some people just won't be told.

Notanotherpawpatrol Wed 22-Mar-17 13:35:31

Nope, 10 years ago I got insurance for £900 as a 19 year old, however my male friend (also 19) was paying closer to £1500.
She's living in a dream world if she 1) doesn't think insurance hasn't gone up and 2) thinks that everyone pays the same amount no matter what.

vaginasuprise Wed 22-Mar-17 13:36:46

Actually it is possible, DSs at 17 was £780 for a classic mini on a multi car policy.

HecateAntaia Wed 22-Mar-17 13:37:31

well, if she's wrong she's wrong and no amount of insisting will make her right so she doesn't really matter. People say all sorts that simply isn't true.

If you are 100% sure you are right, you could always say ok, find that quote for him and I'll give you £100.

Too confrontational? grin

Maybe things like having insurance with the same company, not driving at night, having a tracker fitted etc all bring the quote down.

SomewhatIdiosyncratic Wed 22-Mar-17 13:37:57

My first car was a 1.4. I was 22 and a brand new driver. With Pass Plus, a decent postcode and some negotiating over the phone (early 2000s) I got it down to £750. I was proud of myself.

I don't think that would help anyone now! Insurance has inflated since those days.

Unpropergrammer Wed 22-Mar-17 13:38:06

used it depends where you live though as well. I'm in Manchester and it would be hard to insure a 17 year old for much less than 2 grand. Whereas my mum lives near Blackpool and you could probably get a quote for around 900 where she lives.

MycatsaPirate Wed 22-Mar-17 13:38:11

used was that as him as the main driver? Any restrictions on his useage?

I have found it to be an utter minefield now. I remember getting my first insurance aged 19 for about £200 but that was in the last century.

My DD's insurance has a black box as mandatory, her mileage is limited and if she wants to go over it, then it's £100 for 1,000 miles. It's so incredibly difficult for teens now.

MycatsaPirate Wed 22-Mar-17 13:39:18

unproper Hadn't thought about area. Maybe this woman lives elsewhere and not where we are. Also dd's insurance increased when she went to uni as no longer parking at our house but on a public road.

vaginasuprise Wed 22-Mar-17 13:40:33

Try elephant.co.uk

UsedToBeAPaxmanFan Wed 22-Mar-17 13:41:19

MyCat yes, he's the main driver. Dh and I are named drivers on the policy. No usage restrictions but he had to agree to have a black box fitted which made it cheaper (think it was 1100 without). The car is kept on our driveway not the street, don't know if that makes a difference.

TheFairyCaravan Wed 22-Mar-17 13:42:05

DS2's insurance at 17 was £900 for a 1.2. That was with him as the main driver, DH and I as additional drivers, and a black box with no restrictions.

DS1 insured a 2.0L 3 series BMW when he was just 20 for just over £700.

There's a very good chance if she shops around she'll get insurance for less than £1600.

RocketQueenP Wed 22-Mar-17 14:04:55

Lol. My car insurance at 17 was just £500!

However this was in 1997 🤣

MycatsaPirate Wed 22-Mar-17 14:12:25

Yes, we don't have a driveway although it was parked up by the garage when she was at home. Now she's away the insurance has gone up.

I do think it's a) regional and b) depends on named drivers.

Obviously fronting a policy is illegal and no one should be doing that at all.

A multi car policy also seems to bring the premium down.

However, I do think a 17 year old would struggle to insure a 1.6i car for less than £1000

Abraiid2 Wed 22-Mar-17 14:16:25

I think you probably could get insurance for a 17-year-old for less than that. I did, last year.

Porpoiselife Wed 22-Mar-17 14:22:06

Often the price will actually decrease if you add on an additional older driver (not as the main driver but in addition). That also worked for my policy when I added my OH on as an extra driver - my premium went down.

IamFriedSpam Wed 22-Mar-17 14:52:13

YANBU. She'll never get insurance for under £1.5k for a 1.6 Litre engine. I shopped around and got one of those plug in devices to make it cheaper and my insurance was £900 (for 10 months not even a year) after passing my test and I'm in my 30s. How much driving is she even going to be doing that she needs a big engine anyway?

IamFriedSpam Wed 22-Mar-17 14:52:44

Should add that I also added on my mum as an additional driver without which it would have been even more expensive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now