Talk

Advanced search

To never to use a thermometer

(51 Posts)
Notthinkingclearly Wed 22-Mar-17 10:22:57

When my first dc was born my health visitor advised me to buy a thermometer. Over the years it has been a invaluable tool when my 2 children have been poorly particularly if it has been stuck at 40 degrees and wouldn't budge prompting a trip to hospital. I have been talking to 2 friends who don't t have thermometers and have never taken their child's temperatures.I am now wondering if I should take my child temperaure when poorly and what other people think. My instinct tells me that it is a good way of assessing my child and Drs use it too but wondered what others think.

RhiWrites Wed 22-Mar-17 10:24:50

Your health visitor advised you use one, you call it invaluable but now you're doubting yourself because others don't?

Whitelisbon Wed 22-Mar-17 10:25:42

I have 5 dc, and very rarely take their temperature. You can tell by touching them if they're warm, and I don't treat a high temp anyway.
I only tend to use it if I need to call ooh or emergency Dr, cos they invariably ask what their temp is.

IamFriedSpam Wed 22-Mar-17 10:28:55

Unless you're obsessively taking their temperature every ten minutes I don't see the issue. I find I'm really good at guessing their temperatures now but it's still useful to have an actual reading if you need to call 111.

Notthinkingclearly Wed 22-Mar-17 10:29:24

I suppose I am doubting myself because compared to other people's children my 2 seem to always be ill. My friend had 4 children and have never had antibiotics just wondering if its luck or whether I run to the Drs to quickly.

Dumbo412 Wed 22-Mar-17 10:29:56

You use it, you find it handy, why change what is obviously a good practice for you?

I don't however use one. do what is best for you

Nicotina Wed 22-Mar-17 10:30:07

Of course it's the best way. I try to gauge it generally by kissing my dd on the forehead (my hands are poor at judging temperature due to MS symptoms). But I would always back it up with a thermometer.

minisoksmakehardwork Wed 22-Mar-17 10:45:23

If it works for you, don't doubt yourself.

I love mine for being able to keep an eye on the dc and, now they're older and could try to pull the wool over my eyes, I can use it to gauge whether they're likely to be having me on or not.

Yes, I know by look and touch whether they are likely to be running a temperature. But with past history for one of mine, I also like the reassurance of knowing exactly when to worry or not.

deadringer Wed 22-Mar-17 11:01:02

Like a pp i have five kids and rarely used a thermometer as i would know by look and touch if they had a temperature but i have always had one in the house just in case. With regards to illness it is part luck i think, my kids were hardly ever ill and seldom if ever needed medication or antibiotics and its certainly not anything special that i have done.

Florrick Wed 22-Mar-17 11:13:41

Years ago, when mine were babies, I got a Christmas job at Boots for some extra cash. I bought one with my staff discount and it is probably the best thing I have ever bought.

I wouldn't really know the difference of a temperature of say 38 or 41 which would be my signal whether to make a GP appointment or not (including obvious signs of illness).

We still use it now they are teens.

Coulddowithanap Wed 22-Mar-17 11:14:11

I hardly use a thermometer. Usually a kid on the forehead is enough to tell if they have a temperature. If they feel hot then I'll check with a thermometer just to make sure.

OreoDream Wed 22-Mar-17 11:19:03

YANBU. They're not always very accurate.

You should judge how ill the child is in general, not their temperature. Some DC could be in ITU with a life threatening infection and temp of 39, another could have mild flu and temp of 40+.

ThouShallNotPass Wed 22-Mar-17 11:36:09

I don't use them. Well, I did once when monitoring a high fever... in my husband.
The kids don't really get ill. It's extremely rare that I would feel the need to know their temperatures. They've had chicken pox and hand foot and mouth but never felt ill with those.
I would like to say it's down to breastfeeding them, healthy eating and strict bedtimes but in reality it's probably just good fortune. Lady Luck being nice.

acquiescence Wed 22-Mar-17 12:25:20

Of course you should use a thermometer. Last week I spent a night in hospital with an 18 month old and a temperature of 41 degrees. It was terrifying and he was very poorly. There was a risk of febrile convulsions and they investigated for sepsis which can kill very quickly. I was 50/50 about taking him to the GP as he seemed ok. Little Ines can't regulate their temperatures well and serious inf actions can set in very quickly.

acquiescence Wed 22-Mar-17 12:26:53

To clarify, my thermometer wasn't that accurate so I didn't realise it was so high. I have now bought a much more accurate one.

acquiescence Wed 22-Mar-17 12:28:34

For anyone saying 'I wouldn't treat a high temperature' you should really seek medical advice and not make this decision on your own! Fair enough if you are talking about a very slight fever with a cold but you need to be so careful, please don't put your babies at risk.

Wtfdoipick Wed 22-Mar-17 12:35:26

4 DC and the eldest is now an adult and I've never owned a thermometer. If they were very hot to the touch and calpol didn't help I would seek medical help. I'd rather trust my own judgment than just do it by numbers.

Heirhelp Wed 22-Mar-17 12:37:41

Taking my own temperature when I'll after having my DD saved my life. I had an infection and was in spesis. I thought I was just tried with being a new Mum and had a cold. If I had gone to bed which I would have otherwise done the outcome would have been very different.

irregularegular Wed 22-Mar-17 12:39:46

I don't think we own a thermometer. I've certainly never used it. Neither did my parents.

Robinkitty Wed 22-Mar-17 12:40:32

I've been through many thermometers and never found them to be very accurate or reliable. I can tell my kids temperatures by the touch and look of them. I do always keep a thermometer to back my educated guess up however and think it's important to have one in the house.

Pippioddstocking Wed 22-Mar-17 12:43:31

I get children regularly in my clinic with parents telling me " oh they don't have a temperature, I would know if they did" . They always have a temperature, sometimes over 40.
As others have said , it's a very useful tool to use along with symptoms of illness to gauge if medical advice is needed.
My advice , use the thermometer.

homeandstillhome Wed 22-Mar-17 12:48:06

I use a thermometer if one of of mine is ill. My older 5 have never been seriously ill but my youngest has had loads of chest infections etc and the ONLY symptom has been high temp (no cough etc). She has needed to be in hospital three times with it. To touch she didn't feel that warm in fact her hands and feet were freezing cold but actually she was very ill and when we took it her temp was high.

DramaAlpaca Wed 22-Mar-17 12:54:48

My DC are adult now & I never used a thermometer when they were unwell, I've never had one in the house. I could tell by touching them & looking at them if they had a temperature, and if I was at all concerned I'd seek medical attention.

FuckyNell Wed 22-Mar-17 12:57:56

I've never used or owned one. Same as pp, neither did my parents.

MothButterfly Wed 22-Mar-17 13:00:57

At my six week check with my first five years ago I asked my doctor what the best kind of thermometer would be very buy for my baby, she advised against it and said to go off how he seemed to me. A couple of times when I have rung 111 they have asked for my children's temps confused I guess you get used to gauging how ill they are with experience with or without a thermometer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now