Talk

Advanced search

To think it's abhorrent that Germany are deporting someone to Nigeria even though they've never been there

(79 Posts)
cheesyinkent Wed 22-Mar-17 08:31:42

Sorry but if your born in a country how can you ever be deported elsewhere based on your parents origins?

KayTee87 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:32:56

Because being born somewhere doesn't automatically give you that nationality.
Not saying I agree with this case, haven't read the details - do you have a link?

Wando1986 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:35:01

"Germany determines citizenship by the nationalities of one or both parents and also a person's place of birth."

We do exactly the same here and do the same as what Germany have just done.

Also, maybe they shouldn't have supported Islamic State and it wouldn't be happening to them hmm just a thought.

Newtssuitcase Wed 22-Mar-17 08:35:37

They were found with guns and IS flags.....

KayTee87 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:38:07

^ well in that case, well done Germany.

StaggerLeee Wed 22-Mar-17 08:39:33

What would you like to happen to the terror suspects that were found with a gun and a Daesch flag in their possession?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-39348270

BreatheDeep Wed 22-Mar-17 08:42:51

I think it's abhorrent to support ISIS.

AprilTheGiraffe Wed 22-Mar-17 08:44:42

Meh. I won't lose sleep over it.

SaucyJack Wed 22-Mar-17 08:49:40

I think it's passing the buck a bit if the person involved was German, but I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep over the hooman rights of ISIS fanboys.

cheesyinkent Wed 22-Mar-17 08:52:42

How about the country that they were born and GREw up in rehabilitates them? Rather than just dumping them on the tarmac of a country they dont identify in and will unlikley ever be rehabilitaed.

Semaphorically Wed 22-Mar-17 08:53:51

They should be allowed due process according to German law, not spirited out of the country on a Sunday with less than £20 in their pocket and no other possessions but if they aren't citizens and they have broken their visa terms then I think it's a sensible and acceptable decision for the German authorities to take.

MrsGB2225 Wed 22-Mar-17 08:56:26

I agree they should be deported if they pose a threat to German citizens. Why should they be allowed to stay in a county when they support hatred and violence against citizens?

Applebite Wed 22-Mar-17 08:57:16

Cheesyinkent - and how on earth do you think that would happen?! They've grown up in Germany. They know what Germany stands for. They've already had the benefit of unlimited freedom and human rights and a functioning wealthy society.

And they've decided instead that they prefer to try and butcher as many people as possible in the name of the most medieval translation of religion as possible hmm

Semaphorically Wed 22-Mar-17 08:57:21

It does sound like they would have been eligible for citizenship though, assuming Germany has similar rules to the UK about minors who have lived there for a long time. Which does make it a bit dodgy, since it's just bureaucracy that means they're not citizens.

If they are citizens then it's wrong, I agree. If they've always lived in Germany they are more German than they are Nigerian/Algerian.

It's a cautionary tale to countries that don't welcome immigrants properly though. People who are marginalised will more easily be radicalised out of resentment.

Applebite Wed 22-Mar-17 08:58:54

I have huge concerns about what is going to happen when all the moronic Isis fanboys we are busy locking up are all released in a few years' time. They're hardly going to have changed their views whilst sitting in prison with unlimited time to think and brood, are they?! And there is a big issue with radicalisation in prisons too, even allowing for media hyperbole.

Applebite Wed 22-Mar-17 09:02:17

Semaphorically - absolutely. and yet paradoxically at the other end of the scale, countries that are TOO welcoming also have a problem. If you let people become entrenched in their own communities, they won't integrate into the wider country. And it's integration that's the problem, not immigration IMO. There has to be a happy medium between welcoming all cultures and respecting the host country I think, and that certainly doesn't happen all the time.

SaucyJack Wed 22-Mar-17 09:02:23

"I agree they should be deported if they pose a threat to German citizens"

So it's OK for them to go and join Boko Haram and kill innocents Nigerians instead then?

highinthesky Wed 22-Mar-17 09:04:04

It's the host nation's prerogative. I'm disinclined to champion the cause given the circumstances.

expatinscotland Wed 22-Mar-17 09:05:31

Meh. Good riddance.

GinAndTunic Wed 22-Mar-17 09:08:37

What they said. ^

ChasedByBees Wed 22-Mar-17 09:08:54

From the BBC link:

Germany says it will deport two men born in the country but whose parents are foreign - the first such case in German history.

So this is the only time it's ever happened. Their support of IS is quite key to this story, that would have been some drip feed.

icanteven Wed 22-Mar-17 09:09:34

So it's OK for them to go and join Boko Haram and kill innocents Nigerians instead then?

He is a Nigerian citizen. It's a fault of his parents' and his own personal "administration", for want of a better word, that he never applied for German citizenship, but as he didn't, he is not a German citizen and it's not Germany's business to "protect" Nigeria from its own terrorists in this sense (infantalising them in them in the process, surely?). When he arrives in Nigeria, the immigration authorities will know why he has been deported, and can make their own decision about his arrival then. He may well be imprisoned on arrival, and while I'm sure Lagos prisons are GRIM, he probably should have thought of that before joining Isis, really.

It is 100% okay to deport terrorists if you can possibly manage it. Remember how difficult it was to deport Abu Qatada?

Porpoiselife Wed 22-Mar-17 09:11:28

My children were born in France and lived there until early teen. Both us parents are British. My children are classed as British, not French.

OreoDream Wed 22-Mar-17 09:12:23

Surely deporting them is a bad idea? I understand the first criminal case fell apart, but surely it'd be better to keep them in Germany under curfew / electronic tag while they try to build a new case (as the police say they believe they are dangerous, which seems likely)?

If they go back to Nigeria surely they're just free to make whatever awful plans they're going to make unsupervised?

Porpoiselife Wed 22-Mar-17 09:13:23

and what icanteven said ^

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now