Talk

Advanced search

requesting a term time position at a day nursery?

(12 Posts)
Schooldramabannana Tue 21-Mar-17 23:58:27

It's for a lunchtime assistant 11-2
I can do this 5 times a week term time but only 2 days a week in school holidays when my husband is off
I can't put the kids in holiday clubs as will only be earning £21 a day for 3 hours work so not viable
I have my interview tomorrow and I did write a covering letter explaining the above but worried they're going to only be able to offer me a 0 hour contract ( if I get the job at all! )

haveacupoftea Wed 22-Mar-17 06:02:33

No harm in asking especially at this early stage.
£21 sounds alright for 3 hours work after childcare to me for a nursery assistant job though confused

Lilaclily Wed 22-Mar-17 06:06:04

Agree with have a cup of tea

Sometimes you have to put up with short term pain for long term gain

In the long run they might ask you to cover sickness or leave and you might increase your hours etc
Better to be flexible

Stillwishihadabs Wed 22-Mar-17 06:07:49

Good luck. How old are your dcs ? Some nurseries will take school age dcs in the holidays.

EyeStye Wed 22-Mar-17 06:15:19

Isn't OP saying its £21 pay and out of that she'd have to pay childcare? Which she won't be able to get for just 11-2, holiday clubs will probably have to pay £15 a day per child for a 9-3 minimum to get those hours covered.
You can only refer to your cover letter - I'm sure they've read it and wouldn't have invited you in if it was a problem.

NellWilsonsWhiteHair Wed 22-Mar-17 06:19:03

£21 sounds alright for 3 hours work after childcare to me for a nursery assistant job though

What do you mean, after childcare? confused OP's DC are in school at lunchtime, no?

Good luck OP. When my son was at nursery, school holidays were always much quieter, partly because the funded children weren't there but also because children whose parents worked in education, or were off for school-aged siblings, had some or all of the holiday off too. I could see the hours you propose being totally viable there.

BikeRunSki Wed 22-Mar-17 06:22:00

They may well be well up for this. If they take children for their funded 15 hrs, this only applies in term time, so they'll be much quieter in school holidays.

insancerre Wed 22-Mar-17 06:30:14

I'm a nursery manager and I say you have nothing to lose by asking
They will have read your covering letter and haven't rejected the idea
Recruiting for part time is very hard, not many people are looking for a job for just 3 hours a day

Good luck!

PigletWasPoohsFriend Wed 22-Mar-17 06:41:35

What do you mean, after childcare? confused OP's DC are in school at lunchtime, no?

Read the OP. They are talking about holidays hence asking for term time only!

wobblywonderwoman Wed 22-Mar-17 06:55:04

I think if you have made them aware of this and they offered you an interview- you might be very lucky. They might just need those term hours covered. Best of luck.

JoJoSM2 Wed 22-Mar-17 07:01:06

£21 for 3h? The sent that below minimum wage unless you're 24 or under?

SoupDragon Wed 22-Mar-17 07:10:37

Read the OP. They are talking about holidays hence asking for term time only!

I've read the OP. The "after childcare" makes no sense as there is no childcare payment - the £21 is before childcare

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now