Talk

Advanced search

Party for 5 yo on a sat that starts at 10.15am?

(53 Posts)
Ellieboolou27 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:54:56

Posting for traffic - and mn advise as I'm a party virgin.

Dd has a July birthday, the farm that I plan to book has two times 10.15-1.30 or 2-4.

I'd really like a 10.15 as kids get tractor ride and animal handling experience, the 2-4 slot is slightly cheaper so it's not a cost saving option.

Inviting around 12-16 kids all reception age. As parents would you be shock at a party that starts so early on a Saturday morning?

Need wise party novices to avoid paying £18 a head in advance to book if it's a bad idea.

RoganJosh Tue 21-Mar-17 20:55:34

Seems fine to me. It's not like we aren't awake!

Ilovewillow Tue 21-Mar-17 20:57:09

Sounds perfectly reasonable! Sounds like a lot of fun!

TooExtraImmatureCheddar Tue 21-Mar-17 20:57:26

DD's 5th birthday party a couple of weeks ago was 10-12 on a Sunday - and half an hour's drive away for most people. Everyone came! They all said it wasn't too early as they would have been up anyway.

ViolentDelights Tue 21-Mar-17 20:57:51

Nope, I'd prefer it as it would allow me to get on with my day and not have to deal with an over tired, over excited, sugar laden, sweaty mess of a small child at 5pm.

Ds went to a party that started at 10.30am last Saturday, best party ever (for me at least).

Graceflorrick Tue 21-Mar-17 20:58:15

I would be declining an invitation to a party that lasts more than two hours. I'm quite busy (lazy) though.

NapQueen Tue 21-Mar-17 20:58:38

Good for me! Dds birthday aged 4 was 10.30-1. Good time! Most with that aged dc are up anyways.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 21-Mar-17 20:58:43

No, that doesn't seem remotely early to me. Plenty of reception kids still get up at ridiculous o'clock in any case, so most parents will be up well before then.

NapQueen Tue 21-Mar-17 20:59:01

Can people stay on afterwards and enjoy the farm?

wigglesrock Tue 21-Mar-17 20:59:10

It's grand - I've been to quite a few parties with a 10 start. The kids are in good form, it doesn't take over your whole day.

Allthewaves Tue 21-Mar-17 21:00:28

Hate early start parties but I would take dc if they wanted to go

Figglesticks Tue 21-Mar-17 21:00:39

I'd Be more than happy to turn up at that time but maybe explain in the invite that it's that early so the kids can get involved with the animals etc. That way anyone who is a buy put off by it being early can see why you've invited them out that early on a Saturday. But I wouldn't worry too much, ds5 is always up at that time anyway (more like 6am on a Saturday)

ClaireH26 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:00:57

Personally I'd hate going to a kids party that early; just because I'm awake doesn't mean I want to be dressed and out of the house on a Saturday! But it looks like I'm in the minority so if the early slot will be a better party then go for it! I'd still go, but I'd bitch about it.

anotherdayanothersquabble Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:06

Start time is fine, it is a bit long though... for everyone...

TooStressyForMyOwnGood Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:28

That's absolutely fine. Wouldn't personally consider it too early - we are out of the house far earlier than that every Saturday so 1030 would give us a rest!

TenThousandSpoons Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:39

10:15 is not too early. However 3hr 15 is very long for a party, unless it's quite "free time at the farm" mostly?

androbbob Tue 21-Mar-17 21:01:46

Depends whether kids have dance lessons swim lessons or football that they would have to miss. You could find half of them can't come. I prefer early as it doesn't impinge on your whole family day.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 21-Mar-17 21:02:59

I hate early parties, but thankfully I have an early riser DH who does them grin

That sounds fine OP, would the parents be expected to stay for the whole time?

Gileswithachainsaw Tue 21-Mar-17 21:03:20

I prefer early. Saves the excitement lasting the whole day.....grin

Agree it's rather a long party though...

Porpoiselife Tue 21-Mar-17 21:05:19

I prefer morning birthdays especially for that age group. It means they aren't waiting around all morning excited for the birthday later on!

Grilledaubergines Tue 21-Mar-17 21:05:35

The party start time is great and can't see an issue with the length of the party. There will be lots to entertain them.

If you have a family day out at a farm, you'd spend more that 3 and a quarter hours surely?

Up and out was always a good things for parties when DC were younger as it meant that if we were having a boring afternoon or had shopping to do etc, I didn't feel an ounce of guilt as they'd had their fun.

friskybivalves Tue 21-Mar-17 21:08:53

Had that kind of time slot for my DS (5) and it was great. It was a soft play party. They were full of energy and raring to go. Parents happy to sit around drinking coffee and reading papers (those who stayed around). Where the guests were concerned there was none of that slightly whingey over-reacting malarkey that you can get by the end of the afternoon at that age.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Tue 21-Mar-17 21:09:26

Prefer early parties not only because DS is early riser but it spares the 'is it time yet' on constant loop

Ellieboolou27 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:10:27

Wow thanks for the replies!
Just looking at the booking sheet its actually 10.30 - 1pm not 1.30.

Farm said put 10.15 on invites so the kids can all handle animals / tractor ride and don't miss out, this is about an hour, then free play for a bit, there's a little soft play, bouncy castle - little park and sand pit and tabogan ride.

Lunch at 12.15 party bag and home smile guests can stay on if they wish I however will be running for the exit

Ellieboolou27 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:13:34

The farm is a bit rural so parents can leave escape but not much else around the area, lovely tea rooms within the farm though so adults can sneak off for a bit of peace

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now