Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to ask someone to shake me.

(19 Posts)
Iwintheunpopulaitycontest Tue 21-Mar-17 20:24:01

Seriously someone talk some sense into to me. I am sat here sobbing because I couldn't keep up at a new dance/fitness class this evening. It was supposed to be fun and uplifting experience instead it seems to have just confirmed how hopeless I am at everything. sad

Creampastry Tue 21-Mar-17 20:36:37

Everyone else was probably just the same, don't feel so bad. No one is ever coordinated!!!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:37:50

Sounds like me at Zumba. .
Me and mate used to send at the back!!
Problem solved til you get more into it!!

joystir59 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:49:44

Zumba is nasty. Made me feel completely inadequate OP. Just move one- go swimming instead

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 21-Mar-17 20:52:19

Zumba is a bloody nightmare, I hurt and couldn't keep up and felt like I just wiggled side to side for a bit.

justdontevenfuckingstart Tue 21-Mar-17 20:54:10

Iwin My DD2 is at uni and couldn't find anything suitable, she started learning Kpop routines in her room off youtube. Good cardio rate and she loves it.

PovertyJetset Tue 21-Mar-17 20:54:29

Dance class- nooooooooo!!!! Too complicated, go do a different class. I love love love working out but my body will not get comply with any type of dance!!!

Fuck the dance class.

Do something else flowers

foxyloxy78 Tue 21-Mar-17 20:54:45

OP just because this class did not go too well I very much doubt you're hopeless at everything. What do you enjoy? Try something else for exercise instead. Body combat or body pump is fun and does not need that much coordination. cake cheer up.

NannyR Tue 21-Mar-17 20:56:15

I hated zumba - totally uncoordinated and wasn't fun at all. I do love aquarobics though, the instructor teaches so that everyone can work at their own level and you're in the water so if you make a mistake no one can see anyway.

FunnysInLaJardin Tue 21-Mar-17 20:59:33

That is a shame OP, but I know what you mean.

I have been to classes like that and have hated them.

I now go to a class in the school hall with folk of all shapes and sizes and aged 30-70. None of us are competitive, we all just have a real laugh for an hour. The teachers are twins and are totally fab, they just make it so enjoyable.

You may need to look for a new class!

Iwintheunpopulaitycontest Tue 21-Mar-17 21:04:18

Thank you. I know that you are all right. The class was recommended to me as something that would help me to feel better and take my mind off things! Goodness knows what I was expecting but seriously I was so rubbish. There were times when I wanted the ground to open up and swallow me. I need to find something more suited to my poor coordination and lack of fitness.

Astoria7974 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:06:22

This was me during my first two yoga sessions but I was farting too lol. I just shifted off to the back, practised some of the trickier moves & it got better. If you're really self-conscious when maybe a Sunday morning lesson might help?

LurpakIstheOnlyButter Tue 21-Mar-17 21:10:09

If it makes you feel any better I tried power hooping for the first time last week. I am fairly sure I looked like a seal having a seizure.
I did exclaim after dropping the hoop for the 1000th time that mine was broken.

Some of us are not born with co ordination. Don't stress it grin

MsJudgemental Tue 21-Mar-17 21:19:15

The thing about Zumba is you have to give it more than one session to see if it's for you. Remember, it's DANCE, so if you don't like dancing or have really poor coordination then it probably isn't for you! At my class, newbies who don't get on with it are those who wear too many clothes and don't tie their hair back so get far too hot, stand at the back so they can't see what's going on or see themselves and others in the mirror (so that they can tell when they're getting it right) and concentrate too much on the instructor's feet rather than following those around you and listening to the music. If you give it a chance, you should find that you can learn a routine and then you might find the resulting euphoria addictive!

ThePiglet59 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:24:07

That's me too.
I have the grace and elegance of a sloth being electrocuted.

I just avoid the whole dance thing now.

BiggerBoatNeeded Tue 21-Mar-17 21:28:15

Sorry, no shaking from me. I've walked out of an exercise class and cried because I was so crap. Totally reasonable behaviour wink. You have my sympathy!

OuchBollocks Tue 21-Mar-17 21:28:17

Ha, you should've seen it the time me and a friend went to (what was advertised as)an adult 'beginners' ballet class. NOBODY else was a beginner, and it turns out I have the grace poise and elegance of a hippo out of water. It was very far from pretty. Now it's a funny memory. At least we can say we tried, and have lost nothing other than an hour of our lives, the class fee, and perhaps a small shred of dignity (overrated anyway. Dignified isn't fun)

GoodnightSeattle Tue 21-Mar-17 21:30:01

I have a suspicion that everyone at my Zumba class is taking secret extra lessons. I look like a demented fish gasping for breath smile

SheSaidHeSaid Tue 21-Mar-17 21:31:24

For what it's worth, I danced for years until my late teens and I can't keep up with some of the bloody routines they do at keep fit dance classes.

Shake it off and give it another go, try to laugh when you get a move wrong as it'll actually make it more fun for you... lord knows I'm in hysterics when I try!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now