Talk

Advanced search

To expect to be paid the same

(10 Posts)
bonfireheart Tue 21-Mar-17 18:30:36

Imagine you are part of team, you all have the same job title, same job description, same manager. Everyone is based at the same site but you were based down the street - would you expect to be on the same salary scale/band? If you found out you were being paid less but the only reason they could give you was "you are not based at x" would that be fair?

Euphemia Tue 21-Mar-17 18:31:36

Is there more to it? More pressure at location x?

Tweedledee3Tweedledum Tue 21-Mar-17 18:33:17

From the description you give, no, it doesn't seem fair. Does it work on a pay banding where people that have been there longer will be paid more?

UpWithPup Tue 21-Mar-17 18:33:41

What exactly does down the street mean? Physically the same road? Or same town?

bonfireheart Tue 21-Mar-17 18:38:24

Same town but minutes away.
The banding is wide so yes you get more the longer you've been there. But I'm a different (lower) banding. Def not more pressure at site A - their remit is only regional whereas mine is regional and national.
Just a bit annoyed & it's just another thing in a long list of crappy things they've done.

Euphemia Tue 21-Mar-17 19:00:31

Speak to HR? Union?

Whatthefreakinwhatnow Tue 21-Mar-17 19:02:01

Are you doing exactly the same job? Even the smallest variation will mean a different job description so will validate a different band for your role.

Allthebestnamesareused Tue 21-Mar-17 19:15:01

There may be a reason. We had 2 offices in same town one had free on site parking and one it cost £600 a year to park 10 mins away in acsr park (no on road parking nearby at all). Salaries for support staff reflected this. Fee earning staff paid at rates they negotiated on start and at reviews.

RJnomore1 Tue 21-Mar-17 19:16:44

Were either group tuped in ?

PebbleInTheMoonlight Tue 21-Mar-17 20:14:12

I earn almost £10k a year more than the man who sits opposite me in work. Same job, same banding, different contracts because of length of service. Things like that are annoying but unavoidable.

Where there's no rational reason I'd be speaking with the union to identify what the rational is for the discrepancy in contract banding and take it from there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now