We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To go to a job interview when I've almost completely lost my voice

(19 Posts)
user1489943514 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:07:17

I've been invited to an interview by a hiring manager who already knows me.

She knows my work experience and the interview is not competency based. However, it's still a competitive interview with the NHS for a professional job.

I was feeling completely comfortable and excited for the interview but while yesterday I had a slight cough, today my throats feels like sandpaper and I have almost completely lost my voice. I can physically speak quietly but it's very quiet and some words just don't come out.

I really don't want to miss out on this opportunity and on the interview invite it makes clear no interviews can be rearranged.

There's a written exercise too.

I don't feel awful. I feel a bit more tired than normal and have a slightly runny nose but nothing too bad.

Would I be unreasonable to turn up?

I've bought some cold and flu max strength tablets and I'm seeing if they make any difference.

Toobloodytired Tue 21-Mar-17 14:08:31

They would fully understand & like you said it states the interview cant be rearranged so just go, it shows willing!

user1489943514 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:25:45

That's what I was hoping! I'm never ill. This is so typical!

MrsELM21 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:26:55

Go, you'll show willing and a good attitude to work, good luck!!

comedycentral Tue 21-Mar-17 14:32:02

Rest your voice as much as you can, I am wondering if some thick medicine like txylix will help a little and provide a bit of a coating?

OhSoggyBiscuit Tue 21-Mar-17 14:41:31

If all else fails, hold up signs to talk like Wile E Coyote?

Meekonsandwich Tue 21-Mar-17 15:33:02

Go, it shows determination, and write your answers down on a pad and paper, it shows problem solving.

AChickenCalledKorma Tue 21-Mar-17 15:36:36

Definitely go. They'll probably be very understanding, especially as you're not a stranger and they'll know you don't make a habit of it. Good luck!

fibrecruncher Tue 21-Mar-17 16:11:19

Definitely go to the interview. Can you get to the docs for a note?

Also both my db and I have jobs where we speak out loud a lotable, so I picked up this trick from him. Mix cider vinegar and honey, gargle and swallow, it restores the voice. Not sure if it works for all conditions but whenever I've had a cold and lost mine it works wonders.

fibrecruncher Tue 21-Mar-17 16:11:50

* a lot

user1489943514 Tue 21-Mar-17 16:28:06

Thanks everyone! I'm going to go.

Lozzapops Tue 21-Mar-17 16:36:24

Spoonful of honey before you go in! Good luck!

foxyloxy78 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:12:37

I missed out on a tip job last year for not going to interview when I lost my voice. Wish I had gone. Go and you'll be great.

Moanyoldcow Tue 21-Mar-17 21:17:27

Go! Can you get to a chemist and get some vocalzones? They're really good. I use them when my voice is going and I need to be on the phone loads.

Good luck!!

user1489943514 Tue 21-Mar-17 21:47:01

I have an awful cough now even though my voice has half returned. I'm dosing up on cough medicine and hoping for the best!

MissCalamity Tue 21-Mar-17 22:07:47

Oh no user sounds like the bug I have. Started with losing my voice, with a snotty nose, tickly cough then sinusitis sad
Is your interview tomorrow? I'd definitely go & try & get some drugs from the chemist before hand, definitely shows willing when you're not feeling 100%.

Good luck & hope you are feeling better soon!

hellokittymania Tue 21-Mar-17 22:15:13

I would say definitely go and if worst comes to worst write your answers on your iPad or phone. Do you have a Bluetooth keyboard? Maybe bring your laptop and use your keyboard so you can write faster. Good luck !

maddening Tue 21-Mar-17 22:52:27

Have some tyrozets

Arriettyborrower Tue 21-Mar-17 22:58:08

I had a hideously awful cold, leaky eyes, one swollen shut with interview the next day - same thing, NHS, assessment based no chance of changing the date. I dosed up, went along and got the job.
You'll be fine, good luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now