Talk

Advanced search

To be pissed off my council tax is higher than my neighbours?

(30 Posts)
IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 14:04:03

Just had my new council tax bill which has increased. After looking into it, I've discovered that mine one other house in the street are in a different CT band to the rest.

I live in a 3 bed end terrace. It is slightly bigger, square footage wise than some of the others but certainly not the biggest. My ndn has a similar sized house but 4 bed and theirs is lower ct! How does it work??

Cosmicglitterpug Tue 21-Mar-17 14:07:58

They might have had an extension since it was awarded.

Miniwookie Tue 21-Mar-17 14:08:25

It's based on house value. If you doubt yours is worth more than the neighbours you can ask the council to reconsider the banding.

MongerTruffle Tue 21-Mar-17 14:09:07

Back in 1993 when this was all decided they just drove around each house listing what they thought it was worth. Contact your council or the VOA if you think you're in the wrong band.

Astro55 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:11:08

They may decide your story in right and increase everyone else's!!

But yes ring and ask

Wando1986 Tue 21-Mar-17 14:12:24

You can ask to be recategorised. Also you can apply for a refund of overpaid ct.

Coffeethrowtrampbitch Tue 21-Mar-17 14:20:08

I have this, my terraced 3 bed is a band d and both my neighbour's identical houses on either side are a band c.

I contacted the local Land Valuation who set the bands but if you don't appeal within six months of moving in in our area it is just tough.

They refused to re-rate my property and just stated that it was rated correctly as far as they were concerned. My neighbour's homes' are still band c and I've paid thousands of pounds more CT than them over the last 10 years.

I hope you can get yours adjusted but be prepared for them to refuse. I don't mind paying tax and don't object to the amount I pay, it is feeling that I'm doing so unfairly that is annoying.

IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 14:23:44

I wouldn't want everyone's to go up confused

I didn't know you could ask them to recatigorise, I'll look into it. Thanks.

HeyRoly Tue 21-Mar-17 14:26:46

I successfully had my house recategorised in the past.

purplecollar Tue 21-Mar-17 14:27:20

You can ask the council to be re-banded. We were because our ndn in an identical house was paying a band lower than us. Initially they refused. Then we got a phone call saying they'd changed their minds. It's worth doing - we got a backlog of payments back for the difference and now pay £30 less per month. Have a look on your local council website to see if you can apply.

purplecollar Tue 21-Mar-17 14:29:45

www.gov.uk/council-tax-appeals/challenge-your-band

Tiggles Tue 21-Mar-17 14:54:56

someone down the road from us complained their band was too high. The result - ours went up. We went to appeal showing them house prices from when house sold etc and still lost.

ASDismynormality Tue 21-Mar-17 15:02:33

About three years ago I noticed that out of 60 identical house about 2 or 3 were in a lower council tax band. I asked for mine to be reconsidered - mine didn't change but just checked the other houses and they are all the same now, bet they wouldn't be pleased with me!

bigbluebus Tue 21-Mar-17 15:13:17

How do you check what bands other peoples' houses are in?

IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 15:15:48

There's such a mix of houses on our street, it's quite odd. I think there's 16 houses, one terraced row, then there's 2x2 semi detached and a couple of detached. At least 3 of the houses are 4 bedrooms. Only the 2 end terraces are in the higher band. It makes no sense really, ours is certainly worth less than some of the others.

oldbirdy Tue 21-Mar-17 15:16:55

Our was rebanded after we moved in; our neighbour converted the basement. The council said the person who carries out the works doesn't "suffer" the rebanding but if it subsequently changes hands after alterations / extensions then they will come out and check. We got rebanded to the next band up.

IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 15:21:39

The only alterations the house has had was changing it from a 4 bed to a 3 bed, converting the 4th into a bathroom. I'm not sure when this was done and there was no extention.

3boys3dogshelp Tue 21-Mar-17 15:22:48

I got ours rebanded down - our house had been the show home and I think when the first people bought it from the developers they bought it including decor/carpets/curtains/kitchen/bathrooms, whereas the rest were empty, so the price looked artificially high.
We bought it for less than it was worth too which helped.
I just wrote to the council and got a letter saying they had regarded us with a cheque for 6 months rebate!

IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 15:23:00

bigbluebus follow the link above from purple and enter your postcode.

ninjapants Tue 21-Mar-17 15:24:36

When DH (then dp) first moved in together into a tiny one bedroomed flat, I accidentally opened the council tax bill for the flat downstairs, which was bigger (the bills were addressed to 'the occupier', the flats had the same number but ours was flat 'A'). Our council tax was a band higher than the other flat which didn't seem right given the size difference. I queried it with the council, turned out they had the addresses the wrong way round, our flat went down a band, and the other went up. Felt a bit guilty about the neighbours' bill increasing blushbut at least we were paying the correct rate

Majorgoodwinschickenbeatstrump Tue 21-Mar-17 15:26:56

Don't be a plonker, yes unfair but they won't put yours down, they'll increase everyone else's!

IHaveOtherNames Tue 21-Mar-17 15:35:35

Major why am I being a plonker hmm if you rtft you'll see that people do have theirs lowered.

EnormousTiger Tue 21-Mar-17 15:41:30

This has been in the press before now. Very often the council responds by moving all the neighbours up to your band so be prepared for being very unpopular indeed if that happens!

jessplussomeonenew Tue 21-Mar-17 15:43:11

www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/council-tax-bands-change has some useful tips.

CPtart Tue 21-Mar-17 15:55:52

We're in a four bed semi. Our previous owners and current next door neighbours both had extensions around the same time, extending each property from a two bed to four bed. When we acquired the property ours was remanded from a C to an E. Our next door neighbours are still paying a C band! We've been told that their property will only be rebanded when the current neighbours move on. Seems completely unfair to me. But I don't think we'd get anywhere challenging it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now