Talk

Advanced search

To hate the spiel at the Costa drive through?

(63 Posts)
FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 21-Mar-17 11:34:41

I know the lad who did it has been told to. He'll have a script no doubt. But my teeth were grinding listening to it.

I couldn't drive away as I was there with a client. Have never been to one before.

Is this common practice?

Lucked Tue 21-Mar-17 11:36:45

Never been, what is the jist of it?

WyfOfBathe Tue 21-Mar-17 11:39:19

I'm just jealous that you have a Costa drive through!

I saw a Starbucks one at a motorway services once, but I didn't know that Costa even had any!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Tue 21-Mar-17 11:42:56

Ooo - we've been threatened with a Costa drive through as part of a new development nearby. To nicely compliment the three other Costas we already have in our small town I suppose.

What's the spiel?

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 21-Mar-17 11:47:55

The spiel was something like " hey how are you today? That's an excellent choice...mmmmm mmmmm yes! Awesome was used. Come in down said in the TV programme way. Very perky chat and there was other chat. Seemed to last an hour but was probably less than a minute.

I'll no doubt have to go again so will jot it down.

Oh the hot chocolate was tepid. I cba to take it back. He might have had a breakdown.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 21-Mar-17 11:48:35

Come on down*

BarbaraofSeville Tue 21-Mar-17 11:49:21

I've never used a Costa drive through, but I assume it's like McDonalds where they try to upsell you where possible and pretend to mishear, so if you asked for a small latte, they would come back with 'so that's a large latte with extra shot and syrup and a muffin'?

Because it seems that pissing off your customers by trying to force extras on them that they don't want and didn't ask for is the way that business is done these days.

WorraLiberty Tue 21-Mar-17 11:49:33

There are drive though coffee shops now??

BarbaraofSeville Tue 21-Mar-17 11:51:35

'Hot' chocolate in coffee shops is never hot. I've given up asking for it now. If I get a hot chocolate I like to sit and sip it, so expect it to be hot so I can do this.

But sadly it's usually at the minimum acceptable drinking temperature when you get it so only drinkable if you neck it down straight away.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 21-Mar-17 11:52:54

I know Worra I was shocked.

It was like he was auditioning for Annie.

FreakinScaryCaaw Tue 21-Mar-17 11:54:18

I wish I'd known that about the tepid chocolate. Luckily work paid for it.

Scribblegirl Tue 21-Mar-17 11:57:37

After a night over with a total rogue unsuitable chap about 7 years ago, he took me to the Costa drive through the next morning. I'd never seen one before and was shock at the concept. It was the best bit of the date tbh...

SistersOfPercy Tue 21-Mar-17 11:59:36

We have two drivethrough Starbucks locally, to be fair they are quite good and don't go into a spiel.
Our local McDonalds has suddenly started to though, we now have 'Welcome to McDonalds! My name is Ermentrude, how may I help you today' followed by bits of small talk about food choices. I'm an anti social cow, partly why I like drive thru service, stop bloody talking to me grin

DiseasesOfTheSheep Tue 21-Mar-17 12:02:47

Never had that at a Costa drive through. The one that's recently sprung up on one of my routes has a selection of cheerful but not overly wittery staff. It's efficient and minimises my interaction with humanity. I love it grin

MsFortunaMajor Tue 21-Mar-17 12:07:24

The town I live in has a Costa drive through and a Starbucks drive through. I feel spoilt now.

Ask for your hot chocolate to be made extra hot and then they won't give you a lukewarm one.

Dancergirl Tue 21-Mar-17 12:08:15

God I hate this.

I just wonder why Head Offices of Costa, supermarkets and the like insist on this drivel, surely they must know it pisses a lot of people off?

There must be a gap in the market for 'no-talking' baristas/checkout operators?? grin

juneybean Tue 21-Mar-17 12:08:32

shock where is there a Costa drive through?! We only have Starbucks up here in Tyne & Wear!

Isitjustmeorisiteveryoneelse Tue 21-Mar-17 12:11:49

Maybe you should do it back next time?
'Hey, guys, can I 'get' a triple shot, soy, hazelnut latte? Woah, this coffee is sooooooooo gooooood, I'm just soooooo jealous of you guys working here in what must be the best company in the whole wide world! You guys rock! Yeah!'
If you've got room you could jump up and down excitedly on your seat a la Tom Cruise. That'll learn em.

badabing36 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:13:26

I used to work at Starbucks had to upsell and do all the name on cup crap. It was a depressing place to work. I just don't think that fake cheeriness stuff works in this country. It tends to make the customer angry rather than happy.

Floggingmolly Tue 21-Mar-17 12:14:17

"That's an excellent choice"?? Why in the name of God do they think customers want to be validated in their choices by a spotty teenager when they both know he couldn't give a shite (and rightly so)?
Patronising crap. And actually backfires, sometimes.
I'd tell them to shove it.

jay55 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:16:01

I love that McDonalds now have touch screen ordering. I feel bad that it means there are less jobs but I love the lack of spiel. Drive throughs should have the same.

DrAbbyYates Tue 21-Mar-17 12:18:33

Ours doesn't do this.

I was very sneery when it opened and thought it was the nadir of western decadence.

Then I had a nap-fighting baby who would only reliably sleep in the pram or the car. The sheer bliss of being able to get her off to sleep, get a coffee and then MN read a book for half an hour in the car was transcendental.

FreeTibet Tue 21-Mar-17 12:20:04

Did he not say "take care" as you drove away? That seems to be the (bloody awful) latest phrase that people who don't know you from Adam say.

ArriettyClock1 Tue 21-Mar-17 12:20:57

Yuk - this would drive me nuts.

Can't stand strangers asking me how I am, for starters. (Unless I am in the states, where it doesn't bother me, strangely)

BarbaraofSeville Tue 21-Mar-17 12:22:27

YY Flogging. Bloody irritating. A lot of companies make the checkout person make a positive comment about purchases. In M&S they'll say something like 'that's a lovely colour' about a top.

If the Head Office people at any big multinational companies are reading this, no customer likes this and your staff hate doing it.

Customers don't believe that the staff like or care about your purchase. Why would they? They're just trying to earn money and get through the day. It doesn't add value and won't make us choose you over the other guys.

In fact, we are more likely to choose the other guys if they aren't over familar, don't ask nosy questions and don't try to upsell us.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now