Talk

Advanced search

To have phobia of small metal objects?

(6 Posts)
sniffle12 Tue 21-Mar-17 10:47:49

I know I am being unreasonable (definition of phobia!) but want to know if there is anyone else out there. A quick Google shows me this is more common than I thought and curious to know if anybody has found anything that has helped.

Since I was around 9 I have been unable to touch (or touched reluctantly/with immense disgust) small metal objects such as jewellery, coins, keys that aren't my own (although I will always pick up even my own keys by the plastic bit), etc. Although I have less need to encounter/touch other objects, it would be the same for any small metal object e.g. those display cabinets in antiques shops that are just full of random objects like tiny spoons = want to vomit. I will touch change to hand it over in a shop but as briefly as possible, and I then have to rub my hand on my clothes and then can still feel a 'sensation' where it touched for ages afterwards. If someone has left some change on a desk nearby at work or is say, messing with their ring taking it repeatedly off and on again, I can't concentrate and just want to get away.

I do have a general 'thing' about cleanliness so that's probably where it's come from and likely my brain has taken it too far and too specific - as there are all sorts of things I touch in a day which must have your regular amount of germs on (e.g. work keyboard, bathroom doors) with no problem.

heretohelpGB Tue 21-Mar-17 10:57:15

Oh my god - this is a thing? I have hated touching change all my life and always thought it was just me. Always have a sensation I m about to throw up but know I won't! Never got my ears pierced, wear my wedding ring but nothing else - all because I HATE small metal objects!!!

Wouldn't mind but sometimes I read other "hygiene" threads on here and think I must be a bit of a slob as really not OTT on hygiene in other areas of my life....but metal ughhh!

heretohelpGB Tue 21-Mar-17 10:59:39

This is why I love mumsnet - no matter WHAT comes up as a topic there is always someone else who "gets" it!!!😀 I have found my kind of people here!

Snibril Tue 21-Mar-17 11:16:12

Hello, I just wanted to check in to say hi! I have been phobic of metal for as long as I can remember and have always thought I was simply bonkers. It's incredible to find I am not alone! I can't stand handling money, I don't wear any metal jewellery, use cutlery with plastic handles and generally go to great lengths to avoid. If I hand money over when shopping I can feel the sensation until I wash my hands, it can be quite intense. It's nice to meet you!

FairytalesAreBullshit Tue 21-Mar-17 11:29:44

No phobia is daft, it all stems from something. The big question is how does it impact your life, if it's disabling, maybe see your doctor to see if they can sort CBT. Sorry you're suffering.

sniffle12 Tue 21-Mar-17 11:33:37

shock nice to e-meet you all ! Good to know I'm not alone haha.

Have you taken any steps to getting over it or do you just get by? I have thought of getting it looked at, but I know the end product of treatment would be to freely touch these things and I don't want to! (counterproductive I know grin)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now