Talk

Advanced search

To clean for the cleaner?

(13 Posts)
Deckchair1009 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:29:12

Hubby is away for a LONG duration, in the mean time I'm home with 3 under 4s! I've enlisted a local lady to help with the cleaning but tbh I feel embarrassed and end up half "minting" the house before she arrives! It's generally clean, I don't ask her to change beds and there's no filth or bodily fluids... I'm finding that I am getting stressed and waking up extra early just to ensure its ok. Would it be alright just to say, "sorry, this is how is it is" and let her deal with a bit of scattered toys and sticky/muddy footprints on the kitchen floor? I suppose she could just resign if she didn't like it but...how much would a cleaner put up with?

Deckchair1009 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:30:30

Today 21:29 Deckchair1009

Hubby is away for a LONG duration, in the mean time I'm home with 3 under 4s! I've enlisted a local lady to help with the cleaning but tbh I feel embarrassed and end up half "minting" the house before she arrives! It's generally clean, I don't ask her to change beds and there's no filth or bodily fluids... I'm finding that I am getting stressed and waking up extra early just to ensure its ok. Would it be alright just to say, "sorry, this is how is it is" and let her deal with a bit of scattered toys and sticky/muddy footprints on the kitchen floor? I suppose she could just resign if she didn't like it but...how much would a cleaner put up with?

pointstaken Mon 20-Mar-17 21:33:05

it depends on your cleaner! If you read various threads on the subject, some cleaners would be mortally offended to be asked to tidy up whilst others are more than happy to put your groceries away, change your bed and do your ironing. I know one who walks the dog for an elderly lady.

If your house is tidy, you will know where everything is and your cleaner will be able to clean properly, instead of wasting time putting toys away. I honestly think muddy footprints are fine (but I would personally never leave my dirty underwear on the floor).

Deckchair1009 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:38:36

Thanks Points, it generally is tidy - I want her to clean not waste time but at the same time I find myself rushing around like it's a sales viewing! What level is acceptable?

BellyBean Mon 20-Mar-17 21:40:20

Dirt is always fine, mud is why they're there. Clutter is something you'd usually discuss. I try and tidy before our cleaner comes, even if sometimes it means chucking toys on the sofa/bed. She can't cover the agreed cleaning without me removing the mess. But if you agree that tidying is something to expect and give direction on where to put things and extra time to do so, that is usually fine.

Deckchair1009 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:40:55

And OMG dirty and even clean underwear is well out of sight 🙈

NotWithoutMyMerkin Mon 20-Mar-17 21:43:00

This in our house is known as a pre clean. It's why I don't have a cleaner - because the pressure of having to tidy/pre clean would drive me insane!

BellyBean Mon 20-Mar-17 21:43:43

I'd say it's about access to the agreed cleaning. For example, Others may be shocked, but I've agreed with our cleaner that sometimes there will be dirty dishes, but they are stacked up in the corner by the sink and she doesn't need to go near them.

dingdongthewitchisdead1 Mon 20-Mar-17 21:46:19

I generally 'clear the decks' and tidy for my cleaner so that she can get on with actual cleaning.
Don't stress yourself... stop the guilt and try to enjoy it!
I felt very guilty at first, but what I'm actually paying for is time with my children, instead of shooing them away whilst I wipe / Hoover / mop or whatever!

Redglitter Mon 20-Mar-17 21:46:37

I tidy up but I don't clean before she comes

My cleaner does dishes and changes bed so doesn't bat an eyelid at dirty dishes

RortyCrankle Mon 20-Mar-17 22:16:18

I always tidy before my cleaner comes. She's only here for an hour and I need her to clean, not pick stuff up off the floor and wandering around not knowing where to put it. OTOH a bit of dirt is fine.

FunkinEll Mon 20-Mar-17 22:21:49

I'm about to tidy up for the cleaner coming tomorrow grin

NameNotANumber Tue 21-Mar-17 07:33:09

I tidy before the cleaner comes as if the surfaces are not full of crap then she can clean them easier. I certainly don't dust / hoover / mop etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now