Was Carrie Bradshaw BU?

(66 Posts)
LittleGwyneth Mon 20-Mar-17 17:55:30

So, there's an episode of Sex and the City where Carrie goes to a baby shower/ party (baby already born, just adults and cocktails).

Her friend makes her take off her shoes (Manolo, I think) even though she doesn't want to, and at the end of the night the shoes are missing.

Anyway, a few days later Carrie returns to drop the shoes she borrowed to go home in, and her friend offers to pay for them.

Carrie reveals that the shoes were $485 dollars (and this is like, 2002, so probably about £500 now) and the friend refuses to pay for them, offering $200 instead, and then saying that she shouldn't have to pay for Carrie's 'extravagant' lifestyle.

Carrie then gets really pissed off and creates a fake wedding registry for the shoes.

So, I was watching it the other night and I wanted to know what AIBU would make of it. Should the friend have paid for the shoes? Or was Carrie BU to expect five hundred quid shoes to be replaced?

StealthPolarBear Mon 20-Mar-17 17:56:44

Mmm. She didn't want to take them off so I think swnbu. However someone should have probably looked to claim on insurance

ToastDemon Mon 20-Mar-17 17:57:40

That was about the only time Carrie WASN'T completely unreasonable!

LilaGrace Mon 20-Mar-17 17:58:07

Haha- I recently watched this episode! The friend shouldn't have made Carrie take the shoes off. Someone else at the party clearly took the Manolos which they wouldn't have been able to do if the hosts hadn't insisted in a shoes off policy. So yes, they should have paid for the shoes!

PossumInAPearTree Mon 20-Mar-17 17:59:34

Guess if her shoes were that expensive she could have taken them off and carried them/kept them by her. But yes flat owner should have filed a police report, got a crime number and tried claiming.....but maybe for s theft claim you need evidence of a break in?

Gowgirl Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:10

No she wasn't, the friend was unreasonable but no way would I leave my good shoes out of sight, too expensive to risk

HillysChair Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:22

Just rewatching SATC and Carrie is a bloody cow to Aiden

VanillaSugar Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:46

Carrie is being unreasonable for wearing such expensive shoes.

CanaryFish Mon 20-Mar-17 18:03:12

The friend should've made more of an effort to find out who took the shoes. She sighed and made a fuss about how much they cost and how she had a real life and Carrie didn't.
Carrie then totted up everything she'd spent on the friend's engagement, hen party, wedding and wedding present and the birth of each child and that's what prompted her to do the fake registry.
I can kinda see where she was coming from with it.
I think if the friend had been more sympathetic or helpful then it never would've got that far

mumonashoestring Mon 20-Mar-17 18:07:13

I've been rewatching these recently and have to agree with ToastDemon - a rare occasion where Carrie got completely hung up over something and I didn't think "oh do shut up..."

Majorgoodwinschickenbeatstrump Mon 20-Mar-17 18:07:25

Carrie was an irritating selfish nob who makes my toes curl with embarrassment most of the time she was on the screen. Therefore whatever this is about I'm willing to bet she was being unreasonable.

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Mon 20-Mar-17 18:10:26

I remember watching this episode years ago and being very angry on carries behalf. SWNBU.

ThoraGruntwhistle Mon 20-Mar-17 18:19:49

Not unreasonable re the stolen shoes, but rather ridiculous being all shock and put out about her shoes when Miranda's waters break on them.

Northernlurker Mon 20-Mar-17 18:28:36

As I recall even the friend agrees Carrie was not unreasonable because in the end she buys the shoes through the registry.

redexpat Mon 20-Mar-17 19:19:47

Totally on Carrie's side in that episode. And as she pointed out she had spent 2k celebraring that particular friends life choices.

redexpat Mon 20-Mar-17 19:21:02

Why shouldnt she spend that much on shoes if she wants to and can afford it?

ImFuckingSpartacus Mon 20-Mar-17 19:23:54

She can spend what she likes on shoes, but if you have pairs that cost as much as a car, don't leave them lying around! I would have kept them in my hand and left early as the party was shit

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 20-Mar-17 19:24:55

*Carrie then totted up everything she'd spent on the friend's engagement, hen party, wedding and wedding present and the birth of each child and that's what prompted her to do the fake registry.
I can kinda see where she was coming from with it.*

This ^^

Carrie is a flaky, annoying, self-absorbed drama llama, but in this case she was NBU.

worriedmum100 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:25:15

I've just re-watched most of SATC and the first film.

Totally agree with pp who say Carrie is mostly incredibly annoying apart from this episode where she had a point. I rather embarrassingly yelled at the TV when she has a go at Miranda in the film for not forgiving her husband for shagging someone else. Given Carrie's utter contempt for Big's wife and Aiden her hypocrisy is astounding.

Actually I may be a bit over invested....blush

OwlinaTree Mon 20-Mar-17 19:26:12

That's a great episode! SINBU, the point to me is the friend not valuing Carrie's choices even though Carrie has supported the friend's choices.

TheDowagerCuntess Mon 20-Mar-17 19:26:40

Supported, and forked out a lot of money for them!

OwlinaTree Mon 20-Mar-17 19:27:27

The film is crap though. Loved the TV shows. Can't bring myself to even watch the 2nd film.

greenworm Mon 20-Mar-17 19:27:35

I'm with all of you who say she was unreasonable the vast majority of the time, but not in this particular case. I think she handled the situation pretty well

TheLambShankRedemption Mon 20-Mar-17 19:38:33

She was U in saying 'this is an outfit'. Cobbled the last few things in her wardrobe before laundry day more like, was not a good look.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 20-Mar-17 19:40:59

She was usually awful, but I totally agreed with her on this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now