Talk

Advanced search

To think it's a bit weird that people get power hungry over becoming an admin for a Facebook group?

(50 Posts)
cheesyinkent Mon 20-Mar-17 17:30:42

Some act as if it's some all powerful job and they have real authority. But I just find it a bit strange going on about being an admin of a group that may have thousands of members but only a few hundred actually use it a month.

Derlei Mon 20-Mar-17 17:45:59

Yanbu, I'm part of one for a soap opera and I have been sighing today at the pettiness by some of the admins. Makes me want to post loads of spoilers and then quickly leave the group!!

TheNaze73 Mon 20-Mar-17 17:53:23

YANBU. They need to get a life

Redglitter Mon 20-Mar-17 17:56:08

Oh you haven't seen power crazy til you encounter one American admin for a book/tv series. She's off her rocker. If anyone dares disagree with her she removes them. I'd love to see the size of her blocked list it honestly must run into thousands

ProfYaffle Mon 20-Mar-17 17:57:32

Yup - I'm with you on that. Can't bear over moderated fb groups, especially the ones that try and control what you can and can't discuss.

Freshprincess Mon 20-Mar-17 18:05:59

I used to be one where you weren't allowed to post after 9.30pm. You got blocked if you did, without any warning. Every morning there would be a long post about how hard the admins work to keep 'your' group going and how they waste time every day blocking people for infringing the 930 rule. No explanation of why the rule is in place either.
I left as it was becoming an ever decreasing circle of members and bitchy PA comments about people they'd blocked. They started with such good intentions but the power rush took over and ruined it.

dontbesillyhenry Mon 20-Mar-17 18:10:35

I got chucked off the cath kidston one despite having being been a member for ages and having made many purchases due to the stupid admin woman not liking me asking why she removed one of my perfectly acceptable posts
She's a power mad loser that one

FreshStart2017 Mon 20-Mar-17 18:13:14

I joined a couple of American fb groups for tv shows over there, the admin are control freaks! I left all the groups after a few weeks. I noticed a lot of the time admin would turn off commenting which got really annoying.

ScarletFever Mon 20-Mar-17 18:19:23

I can't bear the 'turning off the comments' thing, so annoying

Anyone on the 'neighbours fanatics' page?

Trills Mon 20-Mar-17 18:25:47

People get power crazy about ANYTHING.

Have you ever been involved in anything to do with a PTA?

GeillisTheWitch Mon 20-Mar-17 18:27:33

The main admin for my local selling group is a complete twat. It's hilarious how self-important he is. YANBU.

MeNeedSleep Mon 20-Mar-17 18:32:02

Not fb but there is another parenting forum which has power mad admin. Dare you disagree with her!

pigeondujour Mon 20-Mar-17 19:21:29

I LOVE those admins.

intheknickersoftime Mon 20-Mar-17 19:24:59

Dontbesillyhenry, kudos to you for getting chucked out of a Cath Kidston Facebook page! What on earth could you have done for that to happen!

ThreeLeggedHaggis Mon 20-Mar-17 19:24:59

YANBU but like pigeondujour, I love watching these admins on their power trips - always good for a laugh!

By the way I am an admin so if this thread doesn't go the way I want, watch out.

DesignedForLife Mon 20-Mar-17 19:25:24

YANBU but some need to turn off comments for a reason, threats of libel etc have been made. Who'd have thought second hand clothes could cause such drama?

SittinginaSleazySnackBar Mon 20-Mar-17 19:30:45

One of the groups I'm in was "recruiting" admin. Was really strange the amount of people begging to become one !

witsender Mon 20-Mar-17 19:33:35

I used to admin a large parenting Facebook group,it was fucking crazy. I ended up leaving Facebook for a year it did my head in so much. People can be fucking arseholes online.

mineofuselessinformation Mon 20-Mar-17 19:35:22

The group where I used to live is a case in point (I stayed on it cos I'm nosey!)
The admin removes anything to do with her own family if it's negative, had a massive row with someone who posted a valid point then blocked them...
But the best one was when she got all hoity-toity about the 'church room' on the side of the village hall being used for a Ladies' night event (they had a penis-shaped bucking bronco grin), claiming it was disgusting and disrespectful - until a member of he local church committee came on to say they had never seen said person at any service, the room in question was not consecrated and that as far as the church committee was concerned, the local community had every right to use the room for any event they had booked and paid for.
She went very quiet for a while after that....

EduCated Mon 20-Mar-17 19:37:14

YANBU, groups over a certain size always go a bit bonkers.

I'm on a few groups with some spectacularly highly strung admin.

Welshmaenad Mon 20-Mar-17 19:39:51

I admin a massive FB group. When there are hundreds of thousands of people you HAVE to be a bit of an anal rule-upholding twat or it all gets out of hand. I like to think I mostly have a sense of humour though.

MadisonAvenue Mon 20-Mar-17 19:42:08

There's a group that I'm in which is just for old local photos. Really interesting page but the main admin fella is power crazy. Occasionally a member will post and ask for information - without posting a photo shock - and he immediately responds, preceding his speech with the word 'Admin', and launches into how it's a place for posting photos and then turns off comments, saying that the member should be contacted via messenger if anyone has anything to add.
Retired twat with too much time on his hands I think.

anyoldname76 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:44:58

i got abusive pms and the admin of a beading group called me a thief for copying someone elses work. i hadnt, i had followed a free tutorial on youtube. i posted the link on their page and left. they were totally bonkers

hungryhippo90 Mon 20-Mar-17 19:56:29

Sad fuckers.

I saw someone list it as their job once. I howled!

ThreeLeggedHaggis Mon 20-Mar-17 19:59:02

hungryhippo90

Interviewer: "Have you held any positions of responsibility?"

Candidate: "I'm admin of a Facebook group."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now