Talk

Advanced search

Relative trying to take advantage ?

(36 Posts)
itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 13:43:13

I have a relative doing some work for me . At the start he said he would have a quote . But work had to begin (building a house) before we got quote . Cut a long story short he got angry when I asked him how many days were left for the job . He said he didn't know . Surely all trades people know how long a job will take having done similar jobs before . When asking him questions he says that's how I work etc . Have told him to leave the job if he doesn't apologise for his rudeness ??? Or should I have sucked it up as he a relative by marriage ??? Just think he wants to squeeze as much money out of the job as poss .

ScarletFever Mon 20-Mar-17 13:44:28

Lucky escape I think

xStefx Mon 20-Mar-17 13:44:56

YANBU, its your house and your paying him. He should be able to give you a rough idea for goodness sake.

novemberontrumpwatch Mon 20-Mar-17 13:45:48

Would never 'employ' a relative to do stuff. Too much can go wrong!

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 13:48:39

I really thought he wouldn't take the hand . Am glad I called him out on it . Now he is saying I have an attitude and that am ignorant . Whereas I was only trying to narrow down a price .... Don't want a nasty surprise ! He will blacken my name now across the in laws even though I know it's his way that's made me pissed off hence attitude . I hope in laws keep their nose out .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 13:51:13

Thanks for above replies So far . I thought I was right in asking questions about payment ..... Just got a feeling about him . Your agreement is appreciated .

ollieplimsoles Mon 20-Mar-17 14:02:02

This is why I don't do commissions for friends or family...

unfortunateevents Mon 20-Mar-17 14:17:19

Can I clarify here - you said he is building a house?? Surely you haven't employed someone to build an entire house without having a comprehensive quote, timeline of work, stage payments schedule etc?

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 14:32:30

It's just one trade he was doing . We have pulled him up on his behavior . Am just worried about any fall out like from his wife etc . He will be apologising to me I hope .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 14:37:59

Am I right in thinking then , in offering no quote , he was preparing to take advantage ??? Cause that's whats pissed me off . Relationship strained now cause of that fact alone .

hellsbellsmelons Mon 20-Mar-17 15:10:01

Not sure what trade but any plumber or electrician knows how long a job is going to take once they've been on site and had a look.
1st fix should be pretty quick.
2nd fixing can take longer but they will still know.
Unless he is useless, in which case get rid and get a proper bloke who can quote you timings and costings on board asap.
Get at least 2 quotes and when they come round them ask them how long the work that has been done should have taken and rough cost!

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 15:32:47

I thought that too . He should know how long it would take . So the I don't know comments was him taking the piss . It's electrical work . He's been doing it for 20 years . We are making him agree to a cost or he can walk . Our contractor had given us an idea of cost . He wants us to pay him per hour . He has to apologise first of course . Yes I wish we never let him near the site .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 15:35:52

Yes he is either 1. Incompetent 2 . Lazy or 3 taking the piss . I am sticking with taking the piss . What tradesman works and gives no quotes . He has said this is the way he works which really means to me I will take as much time as I can and take the piss .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 15:37:58

So pleased now ( all be it possible family fallout ) I called him out . Saved myself stress now .smile

HecateAntaia Mon 20-Mar-17 15:41:10

Never ever ever set someone on without getting and accepting a quote!

It certainly sounds like he was planning to just get as much as he could.

I do not believe he refuses to quote and gets business.

How much will this cost?
dont know. It costs what it costs.
How long will it take? No idea. It takes as long as it takes.
Sounds perfect, when can you start.

Oh fuck off! 😂😂😂

hellsbellsmelons Mon 20-Mar-17 16:08:11

Hourly!
Blimey - get him on a day rate - family/mates rates!
Hourly is crazy!

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 17:23:51

Yes the hourly pissed me off too . So yes he can fuck off . Not like me really to stand up for myself . But I have been shit upon before ( not trades people ) so I have harden up . I think he thought he could do and say as he pleased at our site . What a dick ! Thank you for your replies . I can sleep soundly knowing I was in right as husband didn't want a row .....but can't let anyone take the piss . I may as well hand out money for nothing . I mean husband didn't want to row with his brother but I kind of started the row .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 17:26:05

Hecate I think also he gives quotes to others as he has to be able to manage his own finances . He wouldn't last long not knowing what he had coming into the household every month . Am glad u agree with me .

EmeraldScorn Mon 20-Mar-17 17:41:30

I think you're massively over reacting to be honest; Often when people ask me questions I will respond with "I don't know" if they have been nagging me in some way.

I have a feeling that you've been breathing down his neck and the fact that you sound so smug about starting a family fight is pretty callous - "My husband didn't want to row with his brother but I kind of started the row", there's no "kind of" about it, you did start it and you sound like you're on some type of power trip.

I'd tell you to do your own electrics, seeing as you know so much and by the way I've only ever known electricians to charge by the hour - If you expected a day rate perhaps you should have negotiated like an adult!

Hadalifeonce Mon 20-Mar-17 17:50:54

I have recently had some electrical work done; he came round to look at the job, I selected some fittings, he gave me a quote including all the materials, and told me it would take a full day, and that he would return a couple of days after to tidy up a few things.

That is exactly how it happened, and I gave him a cheque for the quoted amount when he finished.

You are not over reacting or being unreasonable.

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:20:13

Emerald scorn ....power trip ?? Is that a pun ha ha

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:20:56

Thank you hadalifeonce u can see it from my perspective .

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:23:25

All I expected emerald scorn was to be treated fairly ... Not like a money pit . Are u an electrican ??????

ajandjjmum Mon 20-Mar-17 18:23:51

Have you given him an electrical spec and drawings to cost against?

itsnicetobeniceto Mon 20-Mar-17 18:28:27

Yes he had access to all drawings from architect .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now