Talk

Advanced search

To go to A&E/Urgent Care or GP?

(14 Posts)
HateThinkingUpNames Mon 20-Mar-17 13:33:13

Name changed as identifying.

So I fell down some stairs in the pub on Friday night and cracked my head on the banister/wall. I stood up ok but then passed out briefly a few seconds after. Was a bit confused for a while but reasonably recovered within 5-10mins I think. Had a massive egg on the side of my head. I didn't go to hospital and it didn't even occur to me that maybe I should have. I went home and went to bed.

I have had an unrelenting low grade headache since then which isn't really responding to painkillers. I do feel like it's worse today but this might be because I'm at work. I still feel pretty spacey and am Struggling with bright lights and loud noises. My neck is also quite stiff/sore. I'm going to go home this afternoon cos I'm not really coping.

Basically I am wondering if I should go and get it checked out and if so if I should make a doctors appointment (might take a couple of days) or go to the Urgent Care centre at the hospital on my way home. I don't want to waste anyone's time. Or should I just get on with it and stop whining?!

JennyOnAPlate Mon 20-Mar-17 13:35:08

Yes go to urgent care. Definitely don't wait a couple of days for the GP.

ImFuckingSpartacus Mon 20-Mar-17 13:35:37

I'd go to urgent care if I were you (and I never say that). It's probably nothing to worry about but with that collection of symptoms I would get looked at, soon.

PeaFaceMcgee Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:11

Concussion. Ring GP reception for advice.

abigwideworld Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:27

A&E now!

2014newme Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:40

Ask for an emergency same day gp appointment. You'll be waiting hours at hospital.

Catrina1234 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:40

I think you should go to the urgent care centre at the hospital (unless that's just an out of hours centre) if so I would go to A & E. You might need an an xray or ct scan.

Quartz2208 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:49:25

Definitely sounds like concussion

Misty9 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:54:11

Sounds like concussion and possibly mild brain injury. Ring 111 if you're not keen on a&e but you definitely need to be checked out. Hope you feel better soon

HateThinkingUpNames Mon 20-Mar-17 14:04:00

Thanks guys that's enough to get me to go. I spoke to the doctors receptionist (thanks whoever gave that idea) and she said urgent care as well in case they need to scan so I'm on my way.

Good thing i brought my iPad to work this morning. Hopefully it won't take all day!

Hannahbanana1725 Mon 20-Mar-17 14:10:02

A&e is for emergencies or serious incidents within the last 24 hours. Working in a&e, we see a lot of people who have been in your case. Where their symptoms are not particularly serious enough for an urgent scan, we would refer them to the gp and make an urgent appointment for them. But in your case, they should see you because of your symptoms, and you should be given a ct scan and gcs. Be prepared for a long wait though! You more than likely won't be on the top of the list if its busy

nineanimals Mon 20-Mar-17 14:23:12

Glad you're getting seen today OP. Good luck!

HateThinkingUpNames Mon 20-Mar-17 15:15:42

Yeah I wasn't really expecting to been seen quickly. It is completely rammed as well. Oh well I suppose it's better than waiting at the doctors as well if they were only going to send me back here anyway.

PeaFaceMcgee Mon 20-Mar-17 21:38:51

How was it?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now