Talk

Advanced search

Letting your child to wear over night contact lense

(133 Posts)
Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:12:47

My 9 yrs old needs glasses, she is near sighted(last time checked was -0.5). I am thinking of using Ortho-K. Do you use it? Know anyone who uses it? Especially young age children. My husband thinks we should stick with usual glasses.

shirleycartersaidso Mon 20-Mar-17 13:16:11

I think with a prescription that small I would stick with glasses and not wear them all the time.

Flowersinthe Mon 20-Mar-17 13:16:45

Why are you wanting to use contacts instead of glasses?

Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:20:59

Then you dont have to wear them during day time, I have a hard time trying to tell her that she needs to wear glasses. You wear them at night and it corrected your day tine vision and it might help to slow down the nearsightness progress.

FATEdestiny Mon 20-Mar-17 13:21:48

0.5 is a tiny prescription. No need for contacts, glasses will only be needed occassionally.

Flowersinthe Mon 20-Mar-17 13:24:39

Make the glasses fun to wear, you can get ones with spidermen/Disney characters etc on the side and a string so they can dangle when she's not wearing, to encourage her to wear them, stickers for the glasses box too. For such a small prescription and so young seems extreme to get contacts.

DappledThings Mon 20-Mar-17 13:24:47

What's wrong with wearing glasses? I started at 12, DH at 8. It's really not a big deal and I actually really liked picking out my first pair.

I also wear contacts, have done on and off since I was 18 and they take a LOT more getting used to. Even the overnight ones would, I assume be painful till you get used to them and learning how to take them out and put them in could take a while. Plus the hygiene issues. DH never managed to use contacts, no idea how a 9 year old would cope

harderandharder2breathe Mon 20-Mar-17 13:24:55

You have a hard time telling her she might need glasses?!hmm seriously you need to get a grip. Millions of children wear glasses. Her friends will comment the first day (I've only ever seen positive from children this age) and then they're just part of her. It reeks of you being disappointed your child isn't "perfect"

Get her glasses.

Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:25:05

Its getting worse I think(will find out after the check this week). I read that you only wear them before bed then dont need them during day time as they have corrected your vision at night(temporary for the next day only).

DappledThings Mon 20-Mar-17 13:26:19

I started having eye tests at about 10, every time for 2 years they said I didn't need glasses yet I was disappointed. Loved it when I finally got some.

That might make me a bit weird though!

JumpingJetFlash Mon 20-Mar-17 13:26:43

If you can't get her to wear glasses, you'll probably struggle with contacts as they aren't the easiest thing to put in/ comfiest thing to wear.

MrsDoylesladder Mon 20-Mar-17 13:27:05

Barely a prescription at all. Get her a time machine back to the 70s when we had no choice of frames and looked fecking terrible [unhelpful].

Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:27:55

So none of you have tried them.

P/S: seriously nothing you can say/ask in mumsnet without getting an accusation. Both myself and my husband wear glasses and we dont have a problem if she has to wear it, just asking if you know anyone using Ortho-K or have experience using it.

shirleycartersaidso Mon 20-Mar-17 13:28:51

I have never heard of contacts that do that! Regardless, with such a tiny prescription, no I wouldn't. DT1 just got her first glasses (-1 prescription), she thinks they're the best thing ever.

shirleycartersaidso Mon 20-Mar-17 13:29:49

I just looked at google - you have to have a prescription of at least -5 to use them anyway.

violetbunny Mon 20-Mar-17 13:31:01

Yes OP, but you have posted in AIBU, so people are giving you their opinion on whether they think you are being reasonable or not.

Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:31:02

Its opposite Shirley, when I booked an appointment today they said we must be less than -5.0

Hillarious Mon 20-Mar-17 13:31:03

As a contact lens wearer of 30 years, I can only say that they are a faff.

BeyondUser24601 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:31:44

Contact lenses in general aren't recommended for children, are they? Not even at teenage age.

BeyondUser24601 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:32:03

As the eyes are still developing

Greenleave Mon 20-Mar-17 13:33:10

I am hoping there is someone who has used Ortho-K especially for young age.

BeyondUser24601 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:33:19

Should that have changed, I recommend continuous wear over ones you have to take in and out. Less faffing is less infection risk

MrsDoylesladder Mon 20-Mar-17 13:34:22

It seems counterintuitive to make your eyes tired at night while also having the drama of putting lenses in which will wake you up.
Obviously, I have no experience of the lenses you are talking about, although I do have experience of lenses.
She seems a bit young for going through that at bedtime when the focus should be on winding down and maybe reading a relaxing book for a while before sleep so she gets good quality sleep for the next day at school.

FATEdestiny Mon 20-Mar-17 13:34:55

Very different prescriptions.

Which is she?

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Mon 20-Mar-17 13:36:11

I seriously doubt any one with a hint of decent ethics would flog you ortho-k for a -0.50 rx.....the child will barely need to wear the specs, if at all
In fact anyone presenting with that prescription and not complaining of any issues would probably not even be recommended specs.

Still a fool and their money are soon parted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now