Talk

Advanced search

To not put decking in the garden?

(46 Posts)
ChequeredPasta Mon 20-Mar-17 12:14:05

So myself and OH are updating our garden. OH is very keen for decking at the bottom of the garden, but I'm less convinced. I'm worried it will date, and that decking is 'over'
Is decking 'over' and chavvy, or a lovely use of a small space??

GloucestershireGuy Mon 20-Mar-17 12:22:47

Do NOT have decking. That is all.

Happyfeet1972 Mon 20-Mar-17 12:24:32

I agree OP. We took our old manky stuff up with a view to replace....But we won't now. I think it's over, or soon will be. Not that I'm any kind of trend predicter...

ThisisrealityGreg Mon 20-Mar-17 12:24:32

Rats. That's all I'm saying.

Fluffyears Mon 20-Mar-17 12:24:41

Firs he want to maintain it every year? Mil has it and expects dp to sort hers out but he does what fil does and says 'you wanted the damn stuff...'

BaronessBomburst Mon 20-Mar-17 12:27:15

I'm not sure it being fashionable or not should be the point. It harbours rats and mice and needs loads of maintenance. What's wrong with a nice brick or cobblestone patio?

ClaudiaWankleman Mon 20-Mar-17 12:28:00

I think decking is over. Large, warm tone sandstone paving is in at the moment I think. Exact tone to match house brick colour. I think prices for stone have come down in the 15 or so years since decking peaked in popularity.

Real stone (not concrete covered with something) will last far longer too, and be easier to clean. Does, of course, depend on budget.

SabineUndine Mon 20-Mar-17 12:30:30

It's ugly and collects rubbish under it. I'm having my garden done and have given the designer a free hand but have stipulated no decking. YANBU.

Ohyesiam Mon 20-Mar-17 12:31:29

It's good if your garden slopes, and you want to create level areas, but if it's already flat? It will become a haven for rats.

DrippyWet Mon 20-Mar-17 12:35:10

Decking is over - and is a magnet for rats
🐀

Flagstones last forever and are easy to maintain. They can be inexpensive and as contemporary looking as you wish.

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 20-Mar-17 12:37:13

Decking has been over for about ten years. Natural stone is the way to go.

chocolatemademefat Mon 20-Mar-17 12:37:46

We've just decked our back garden and we love it! I'm fed up with people looking down their noses at decking, paving, double glazing and most things that make life easier. Do what you want to do - it's your money. I've seen gardens of people who look down their noses at decking etc - I wouldn't want them anymore than they would want mine. Why do you even care - make your own decisions.

Coulddowithanap Mon 20-Mar-17 12:38:16

We have a small area of decking in our garden and I hate it. It gets really slippery, maybe I need to get outside and clean it with special cleaners but I haven't bothered googling to find out how to stop it being a hazard.

I'd go with a proper patio.

gleam Mon 20-Mar-17 12:38:44

Again, rats.

justdontevenfuckingstart Mon 20-Mar-17 12:39:17

Claudia you're absolutely right. Importing stone now is cheap as chips. OP don't look at places like Global or Marshalls, Ca Pietra. Stupid prices.

specialsubject Mon 20-Mar-17 12:40:36

gets slippery and attracts vermin.

if you want to be a fashion victim, your call. But there's a reason it has gone out. The issues were obvious from the start, of course. Bad idea for the UK climate.

tessiebear4 Mon 20-Mar-17 12:44:08

It's awful. And rats!!!!

AnUtterIdiot Mon 20-Mar-17 12:48:23

We moved into a house with a small decking platform at the very end. i don't think it's "chavvy" or "over" or whatever, but it gets very slippery unless you constantly go over it with a decking broom.

I haven't noticed a plague of rats in our garden, but that might be the resident greyhound.

AnUtterIdiot Mon 20-Mar-17 12:48:52

*very end of the garden.

Mulberry72 Mon 20-Mar-17 12:52:09

Harbours rats and too much like hard work, we declined when our landlord offered to have our back garden decked (he'd done one of his other properties gardens and had loads left over).

Doyouwantabrew Mon 20-Mar-17 12:55:11

I know it's slippery but no idea af the rat issue.

Love mumsnet. grin

Second natural stone too.

Chickydoo Mon 20-Mar-17 12:55:27

We are about to get rid of ours, and have a nice patio area instead

MiaowTheCat Mon 20-Mar-17 12:57:05

It looks shabby really quickly if not maintained. Even Titchmarsh has apologised for turning the entire nation onto the decking fad.

Mind you our patio slabs are looking shite at the moment but I know that it's only an afternoon of work to get them back up to standard.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 20-Mar-17 12:59:15

I liked ours in our old house... but it is so slippery, and the kids constantly dropped small toys and bits of food down it.

We also called it Spiderland. Because oh my god the spiders 😬

StarlingMurderation Mon 20-Mar-17 12:59:52

I wanted decking but DP has said no, and since he's the gardener, his word goes. But we do have a bird table and a shed. How would I know if we had rats? We live right on the edge of a small town (i.e. There's our neighbour, then there are fields and a small wood) but we do have cats who are keen hunters, and so far they haven't brought home any dead rats (we have had voles, field mice, rabbits, shrews, actual mice and birds)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now