Talk

Advanced search

about Mother's Day?

(16 Posts)
Blinkybell Mon 20-Mar-17 09:44:11

This is doing my head in!

Bit of back ground - 10 odd years ago, we moved a couple of hundred miles away from our families. We go back and visit often and my family and our friends come and visit us often. MiL has never visited.

We always stay with my Mum when we go back - room for us all (me, DH, 2 kids and dog) plus MiL has a couple of dogs who absolutely hate ours.

I also have a 98 year old grandmother who has recently been diagnosed with dementia.

So, to get to the point - we've arranged to go back to visit next weekend. We can't leave here until Saturday lunchtime as DH is a thing he can't get out of so our plan was to travel up Saturday, arrive early evening then go and meet up with some close friends for a takeaway.

Sunday morning we were going over to MiL's - we were going to get some nice croissants and go over for a nice breakfast and spend a couple of hours with her.

My grandmother's care home is doing a buffet/afternoon tea so we were then all going to go over there with my Mum for a couple of hours, then leave and come home about 5ish.

Last night DH was talking to MiL on the phone and she's having an absolute fit. 'It's not fair!!!!'

Apparently, we'll be 'too rushed' if we go over in the morning and we'll be spending more time with my parents as we're staying with them.

DH suggested going out for dinner on the Saturday but this isn't good enough either as it's not the 'actual day'

I give up, honestly I do.

AiBU so say sod you then and sack the whole thing off?

There's lots of history there, we can't win whatever so I'm inclined so just not bother and have a nice leisurely breakfast with my Mum

Laserbird16 Mon 20-Mar-17 10:52:20

You say you can't win so just stick to your plan. MIL won't be happy whatever you do so you may as well do what you want

ImFuckingSpartacus Mon 20-Mar-17 11:05:29

If your man wants to spend time with his mother, he can. You don't have to (and of course he doesn't have to spend time with your mother unless he wants to).
Let him sort it out with her, its not your problem.

Birdsgottaf1y Mon 20-Mar-17 11:10:23

I totally agree that's it up to your DH, to decide if he wants to go to the buffet or spend the time with his Mum.

You don't have to stay joined at the hip. What's he saying?

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 20-Mar-17 11:13:57

He goes to his dm and you do your thing with dc and your family.
Then you don't even have to see mil at all!!

StarlingMurderation Mon 20-Mar-17 11:16:34

I'd send DP to see his mum, and see my mum and gran. I wouldn't do this with my MIL because she's nice but yours sounds like a witch!

Blinkybell Mon 20-Mar-17 11:21:42

DH doesn't want to go and see his mum at all really. He's only going as a) it's Mother's Day and he feels he should and b) we never hear the end of it when we're up that way and don't call in.

He'd rather see my Nan.

It's a bit difficult doing our own thing when we're so far away from home. We're only taking 1 car up and it's all a bit rural and difficult to get around. We timed it so we'd split it fairly equally and leave at a reasonable time. The kids have school on Monday and none of us want to be home too late

ImFuckingSpartacus Mon 20-Mar-17 11:35:07

Then just tell her that if she doesn't want to see you when you have time, you'll see her next time. Her decision, her problem.

Blinkybell Mon 20-Mar-17 12:00:55

Thanks

DH just left it with her, but I dread the fall out.

My kids have been plotting and would quite like to spend some time with me, so I'm inclined just to go out on our own for a nice breakfast and leave her to her sulk.

The issue is the car - they all live fairly rurally about 45 minutes apart with MiL the furthest away and my Nan being about 10 minutes away from the motorway we need to get home, so we had planned on seeing her first for a couple of hours, go back to my Mum's, pick up dog, then go to my Nan's then hop on the motorway and home for about 9pm (if the M25 plays ball!)

We will be at my Mum's longer but we'll be asleep for most of it

Fluffyears Mon 20-Mar-17 12:30:03

Well that's the time you have so sorry you won't get to see her this weekend what a shame. She either takes time you have or gets fuck all.

KanyeWesticle Mon 20-Mar-17 12:40:02

You've got your nan, your mum, your MIL and you, all of whom are Mothers to be celebrated on Mothers Day. She's not the only player in the game, and your compromise sounds very considerate.

If she'd rather not, you get more time with your kids.

chocolatemademefat Mon 20-Mar-17 12:40:25

It's Mother's Day for you too. I hate special days when you HAVE to be with family.

ohfourfoxache Mon 20-Mar-17 12:58:18

Fuck it- leave her to her sulk.

Starlighter Mon 20-Mar-17 13:34:08

It's your day too!

MIL is, of course, being totally unreasonable. Tell her it's that or nothing.

Againagain97 Mon 20-Mar-17 13:39:41

Don't forget the clocks go back on Sunday! Misses point!

CheeseQueen Mon 20-Mar-17 16:52:41

Then just tell her that if she doesn't want to see you when you have time, you'll see her next time. Her decision, her problem.

This!! Nice, politely, and matter of factly. "Sorry, we need to fit in all mums and this is the only way we can do it to be fair. Sorry it doesn't work for you, we'll have to meet up next time."
Bet she'll soon magically make time and want to do it then!
Honestly, she's being totally, utterly unreasonable. Your way sounds lovely - that way everybody's happy and gets to see their mums on Mothers Day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now