Talk

Advanced search

to think he might not go for this

(54 Posts)
oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:49:04

Hello
I wrote before about my creepy landlord who locked me in the house.
It hasn't happened since but I have been staying out of the house as much as I possibly can while I look for a new place.
And I found one! The only issue is is that it not available until Saturday and my next lot of rent is due tomorrow and I don't have enough money to put a deposit down for this new place and pay this month's rent. I was thinking of saying to him if I can stay till Saturday then he can keep my deposit (I am that desperate to leave I honestly don't mind losing the money) in my tenancy thing is says I have to stay for 16 weeks and give 4 weeks notice but I didn't sign an agreement, he just emailed it to me and I said 'ok' in reply.
He's not going to go for the keeping thr deposit thing is he? But living here is making me on edge and unhappy. The other day he stood outside the bathroom while I had a shower...just waiting there. He really creeps me out.

Sunnysky2016 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:54:40

I remember your other post and was thinking about you the other day- I'm glad you found somewhere.
I guess you can only try? Sorry not any other advice! Could you book a v cheap hotel or B and B room for the week?

Craicvac Mon 20-Mar-17 07:54:46

Oh you poor thing, that sounds really frightening! And well done organising your escape!

I'd avoid him for he next day or two and then do a runner- send him an email detailing why you've left and suggest that if he doesn't accept your very reasonable proposal you'll report him to the police. (Haven't read the first thread, but you may want to consider doing that anyway). I imagine he'll not want to take you small claims court and have the judge hear about all his creepiness, especially when our never signed a contract. Good luck!

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 07:57:40

I wish I could afford the bnb or something but after putting my deposit down I have £30 left to last me until the 31st so can't do that. I could probably crash on my friends couch (after she saved me from being locked in the other day she said I'm welcome to stay a night if he gets too creepy which is nice) but I couldn't take all my stuff with me to hers

IamFriedSpam Mon 20-Mar-17 08:00:47

I wouldn't worry about the notice. He's effectively voided that by making it impossible for you to stay with his behaviour. Could you stay with a friend until Saturday?

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:01:27

I could but not with all my stuff.

wonderingsoul Mon 20-Mar-17 08:09:35

Do not pay the rent..
Report him to the police for hes creepy behaviour and get out as quick as possable x

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:12:11

I honestly don't want the hassle. It seems to just be me. He seems fine with the other guys who live here.

londonrach Mon 20-Mar-17 08:12:21

Report to the police the bathroom thing!!!

Holdbacktheriver Mon 20-Mar-17 08:13:15

I remember your other thread. Have you got any friends that could store your stuff between them? It's only for a week. I'm sure you could crash on someone's sofa? I know I wouldn't let one of my friends stay in your situation and any of my friends would be welcome to sleep on my sofa and store as much as I could fit in my garage & shed for a week.

I'm glad you're getting out of there op

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:15:13

I have one friend here who I could stay with but I couldn't store my stuff there as her flat is very very small.

luckylucky24 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:23:20

Just approach with your offer and if he says no then hide out in your room and do a moonlight flit before you pay the rent.

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:24:07

Maybe a nice mner could store it??

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:27:38

grin moonlight flit. I just had a hilarious image of me running down the street with my duvet and suitcase

sparechange Mon 20-Mar-17 08:30:20

How much stuff do you have, and where are you based?
A MNer might have space in a garage!

Do you have a car you could store it all in?

RB68 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:31:38

See if you can get a storage unit for a short time or if you use a removals firm they can often store for a few days - even the man and van types might help

LittleMissUpset Mon 20-Mar-17 08:33:17

Could you say your pay hasn't come through or something and then that gives you until the weekend without giving the game away?

I'm worried about what he might do, as he sounds very creepy.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 08:36:00

I have £30 I don't think that will pay for storage.
Little miss, that does sound a good plan but id feel so underhanded doing that. Not saying I won't because I am desperate to move out but id feel awful doing that. Also he's notice me moving out. He doesn't work so is in the house all the time.

HeavenlyEyes Mon 20-Mar-17 08:59:18

no do not sacrifice your deposit - it is in a scheme isn't it? Report to police and do not pay rent for a few days. Any any hassle call 999.

GeekLove Mon 20-Mar-17 09:00:57

I bet he doesn't feel underhanded for being a creepy fucker. Don't feel you own anyone who wishes to do you harm anything.

I hate lying but I can assure you I can lie as easily as breathing to someone who wishes me harm.

Don't pay the rent - and see how much time and storage £30 pounds can get you - it's worth a try. Failing that - I second asking if anyone has a garage or something - offer to pay.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:02:57

It's not in a scheme but I think as discussed on my last thread it's different rules because I am a lodger. He worded it in the tenancy thing is an advanced payment which will be returned to me when I move out. But when I moved in he said it would be my last month's rent. It's all very confusing. If I could move out with minimal fuss that would be ideal.

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:03:59

That £30 had to also buy me food and travel until the 31st

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:04:42

Sorry about the typos. My old phone broke so I'm using an old phone that I'm not used to.

FemelleReynard Mon 20-Mar-17 09:16:31

Seriously, don't feel underhand, start moving your stuff out slowly now then do the moonlight flit when the rent is due. Take a few bags a day.

Can you keep some stuff at where you work or anything for a few days? Or in your car? Surely your friend wouldn't mind it being there for a few days?

oregon1985 Mon 20-Mar-17 09:21:15

I don't have a cat. Rent is due tomorrow!! And the only friend I have had a tiny flat and lives 30 min bus journey away! I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and busy talk to him and hope he's in a good mood and doesn't mind me staying an extra 4 days. If not I'm going to just have to leave my big stuff (drawers and such like) and just take the important stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now