Talk

Advanced search

to not be able to relax and enjoy weekends?

(10 Posts)
ssd Sun 19-Mar-17 18:52:24

I don't know why, I have no excuse. My kids are teens, they don't need me to run after them. i can have time to myself and a lie in.

BUT it feels lonely a lot and like I spend the time feeling anxious and keyed up. I have issues I shouldn't have. I wish i could relax and fritter the weekend away like normal people. I always end up waking up with a stress headache, I don't get this mon to fri, just at weekends. My job is very stressful due to the fact it's badly run by idiots, not that its high powered.

Sorry just wanted a moan. I want to relax at weekends and not be tired and anxious all the time. I don't have any family to visit, to take me out myself.

fc301 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:18:19

Sorry to hear that. A stressful job is one thing but not being able to switch of is another. I can sympathise.
I can highly recommend Meditation & Mindfulness for switching of all that background brain noise.
And maybe make some plans for next weekend, meeting friends, visiting somewhere or starting a new hobby?

Autumntactics Sun 19-Mar-17 19:35:27

I'm the same, find it hard to relax, DD doesn't need me much (money and lifts!) and as I'm single I have to make an effort to have some company but actually I feel like just doing nothing much or doing things on the spur of the moment. I go to the gym one day, and I have a fairly regular walk and brunch arrangement with a friend but I often get anxious I think because I'm on my own and so there's more time and space to get neurotic!

QuiteLikely5 Sun 19-Mar-17 19:49:13

What are the issues that you have?

ssd Mon 20-Mar-17 08:15:47

I have family issues making my feel abandoned and alone. I've always spent a lot of time alone but sometimes it makes me feel anxious, like autumn above, I dont want to have loads of plans and would rather do stuff if I feel like it. Most of my friends are surrounded by extended family at weekends so are busy anyway.

I just want to relax and switch my mind off. I had CBT but didnt really gel with it.

BarbaraofSeville Mon 20-Mar-17 08:27:43

Can you make a point of getting up and going out somewhere, with a friend or even if it is by yourself? Museum, coffee and cake, a walk round a lake somewhere? Or stay in bed and read a book/watch box sets?

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Mon 20-Mar-17 08:54:18

I feel a bit like this, too. The free time means I have more time for anxieties. The way around it, I find, is to book in one or tow events like Barbara suggests - something low key, or I try to find a friend to attend a concert or play or the cinema with (sometimes a DC will do!). The other thing I do is to just 'allow' myself this time to wallow a bit. It doesn't matter if you're not doing 'stuff', I tell myself, just relax and enjoy the space and time. This lowers my expectations on myself. Make 'have done' rather than 'to do' lists, and lower the goals you put on yourself. It's OK to do nothing!

whippetwoman Mon 20-Mar-17 09:00:33

I got rid of my regular weekend headaches by completely giving up caffeine. I had a horrible withdrawal headache but after that I didn't get them again. Not much help with the other things but might help with the headache.
If it's any consolation, my weekend with extended family etc has made me feel worn out and drudge-like as all I've done is laundry and housework and ferried kids about!

ssd Mon 20-Mar-17 09:37:45

thats interesting, I too get headaches every weekend

WeAreNotInKansasAnymore Mon 20-Mar-17 10:12:48

I get rid of my regular headaches by packing them off for a walk with the dog, and then going back to bed grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now