Unreasonable mother

(12 Posts)
brasty Sun 19-Mar-17 17:42:57

I was waiting in a queue to use a cash point today, while a mother let her child who looked about 5, to press the buttons. The child kept getting it wrong, and so the mother urged her child to try again. Eventually an adult in the queue complained. And the mother retaliated with "Well he has got to learn".
No he hasn't. Not at 5 and not with a queue of people waiting.
AIBU in thinking this mother was BVVU.

ChrisYoungFuckingRocks Sun 19-Mar-17 17:46:23

Well, firstly, I wouldn't want a 5-year old to know my pin - they tend to blab things out at the most inopportune times hmm.

And if there is a queue of people waiting and getting impatient - no, I don't think YABU. I would probably have said something myself.

Besides, don't you get locked out if you enter the wrong pin three times?

DoloresTheRunawayTrain Sun 19-Mar-17 17:47:01

I'm sure she wouldn't have been so laid back if he had pin locked her card.
YANBU.
5 is not the age to learn any more about cash points than its where the money you have comes out from your bank.
Especially not when there's a queue of others.

CaliforniaHorcrux Sun 19-Mar-17 17:48:06

YANBU that would have right pissed me off as well

Mumzypopz Sun 19-Mar-17 18:07:05

Another Mother who thinks her child has the right to hold everyone up. Absolutely unreasonable.

Soubriquet Sun 19-Mar-17 18:09:52

I felt like this when there was a queue at the self service and a mother was letting her child scan everything through and the put the money in. Took ages to do and I felt the rage really building

She saw the queue was building up and up but just continued with her "where's the barcode on this one? That's right well done. Now out it on this bit. Aren't you a clever boy"

junebirthdaygirl Sun 19-Mar-17 19:09:57

Does she not know the machine is covered with germs??. That would do my head in.

brasty Sun 19-Mar-17 19:13:47

soubriquet That is not on at all. Fine if there is no queue. But other people matter too.

MSLehrerin Sun 19-Mar-17 19:16:59

This (and the stuff soubriquet mentions) totally rips my knitting....😃 it's either a case of "letting the child have the experience of doing...." or "look how clever my DC is" (and I'm using my loud CBeebies voice to let everyone within a 25 mile radius know my child is Einstein.) Ffs.

PollyBanana Sun 19-Mar-17 19:19:13

I had similar with a Pay on Foot parking machine.
The ones on 1st and 3rd floor were both out of order so everyone was queueing to use the 2 machines on 2nd floor.
The queue was at least 20 people (I counted!)

So really was this the right time for lift your 3 year old up and let him put each and every 20p into the machine?
Slowly.
With counting?

Porpoiselife Sun 19-Mar-17 19:27:13

YANBU. A 5 year old does not need to learn the skills of using an ATM! Honestly some people are just odd.

maisiejones Sun 19-Mar-17 19:58:43

I had this at a high street atm a couple of weeks ago. Standing there in the cold propping up my elderly frail dad while dear child was being allowed to withdraw cash for her mum at a very slow rate. My relief when the transaction was complete was short lived as we then went through the whole rigmarole again as auntie wanted cash too. What is wrong with these people?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now