To think MIL is a feeder?

(7 Posts)
Nquartz Sun 19-Mar-17 17:03:03

She always serves up massive portions for everyone else but only gives herself a small portion, if we have a chippy she only wants "a handful of chips", she always bakes but never eats it herself, she always encourages everyone to have dessert but never has it herself.
Is she trying to make us all fat?! For context, she is slim and has never had problems with her weight. FIL lost a lot of weight recently by cutting down on puddings, cakes etc as his cholesterol was getting high.

BertrandRussell Sun 19-Mar-17 17:04:46

Does it matter? Eat what you want and don't eat what you don't want.

SparkleTwinkleGoldGlitter Sun 19-Mar-17 17:08:47

My Mum only serves herself a small portion as she's got older mums hunger has just gone. My Mum also bakes but doesn't eat much of it as she is more savoury than sweet but we love her baking and she enjoys baking so still makes them.

Honesty eat what you want off your plate and leave what you don't want

MrAliBongo Sun 19-Mar-17 17:12:39

If you want less, Just tell her. It sounds like she's never had a problem with her weight because she carefully self-regulates.

Whatsername17 Sun 19-Mar-17 17:18:45

Some people, like my mil, like to see people eat. Providing nice food is a way of showing affection. For some, it's a way of living vicariously through others. I used to do this when I was in the thick of an eating disorder.

HermioneJeanGranger Sun 19-Mar-17 17:25:09

Doesn't sound like she's forcing you to eat anything - just making it clear that even though she doesn't want any, it's available for everyone else.

highinthesky Sun 19-Mar-17 17:26:35

For some people, feeding is a way of showing love.

Your MIL sounds generous and you sound oversensitive!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now