We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To feel sad that dd was behind someone a lot taller in the choir

(25 Posts)
M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 14:46:16

Thats it really. Was so disappointed That I couldn't see her at all.
Felt a bit angry at the teacher as this is not the first time she put her behind.
I am thinking of having a word with her at parents evening as i feel it's really unfair.

amberdillyduck Sun 19-Mar-17 14:49:04

Did it impact on her ability to sing?

PurpleDaisies Sun 19-Mar-17 14:50:14

Is it because she's with the others singing the same part? It's odd to put a shorter person behind s taller one.

If it obstructed her view of th conductor, it could well have impact d in her performance,*@amberdillyduck*.

I am an amateur singer, with a degree in music, and in any choir, it makes sense to try to put taller singers behind shorter ones, so everyone can see the conductor.

Trifleorbust Sun 19-Mar-17 14:51:28

biscuit

Summergarden Sun 19-Mar-17 14:51:49

That is a bit unfair, I don't know why she would have done that.

No harm in having a polite word with the teacher asking if it can be avoided in future. No need to go overboard though as they probably use a lot of their free time to run the choir.

Spikeyball Sun 19-Mar-17 14:55:27

She may have been put behind because she was a stronger singer. That's what happened when I was at school. It encouraged those in front to sing so the choir were better as a whole.

Helenluvsrob Sun 19-Mar-17 14:55:41

Meh.
Could she see the conductor ? That's what matters. Personally my girls sing a lot and at a high standard. It's a rare concert they aren't directly behind the conductor wherever they stand or I sit !

M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 15:40:12

She wont be able to see the conductor. But It didn't distract her singing, as she knew the song by heart. She is in y4 and in front of her was y6 girls.
She was the only one buried behind, although the music teacher always complement her voice and performance.

Witchend Sun 19-Mar-17 15:42:40

Dd1 often was like that. There were two reasons.

Firstly she had been tall when younger and so when the teacher said talller ones to the back, she automatically went to the back even when no longer tall.
Secondly her best friend was tall and she wanted to stand with her.

Both were her choice and she enjoyed it, which is what mattered.

gammaraystar Sun 19-Mar-17 16:05:45

Get a grip.

haveacupoftea Sun 19-Mar-17 16:08:18

I'm short and have spent my life behind someone taller in everything. I don't appear to have suffered any lasting damage.

M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:14:22

No she didn't enjoy it. And she told me that she asked to change where she is standing but was told that she can't.

M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:17:57

She previously was standing the same b4 at a school assembly, but then i felt maybe they didn't practice enough and it wasn't on purpose. This time was in a big event and lots of schools joined. When i knew that she asked to change and wasn't allowed felt bad. Specially that all other schools did manage to put shorter in front and every single child was visible but her.

TheMysteriousJackelope Sun 19-Mar-17 16:20:27

I would ask the teacher if she can move more to the front as she can't see the conductor and can only see the back of the person in front of her.

At least then the teacher would explain why she isn't put at the front.

She isn't wearing something that isn't quite school dress code is she? DD plays clarinet in the school band. She always sits out of sight as DH bought her a clarinet off Amazon and it is bright green. It looks like a radioactive pickle and obviously stands out amongst the band - all dressed in black and white with traditional looking instruments that are mostly rented. DD doesn't mind as she hates playing the clarinet with a passion and would happily sit off the stage (or out of the building) altogether if she could get away with it.

M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:23:36

No she was wearing school uniform with hair as advised.
I will ask the teacher if there is a reason behind this.

OffRoader Sun 19-Mar-17 16:23:58

YANBU

I've led school music festival choirs before (not that I'm a singer!) and putting the tall yr6s at the front is just silly.

And of course you're not unreasonable to actually want see your DC when you come to see them perform.

It couldn't have felt very nice for DD either, like she wasn't important enough to even be seen.

I'd mention it, why not?

RufusTheRenegadeReindeer Sun 19-Mar-17 16:25:06

Yanbu

I never know why people do this

ChrisYoungFuckingRocks Sun 19-Mar-17 16:28:21

Oh, I totally agree with you. My DTDs (Y4) had a performance on Saturday, and all the tall Y6s immediately push to the front, so all the shorter kids are hidden behind them. It doesn't affect the sound of the choir, but your DC can't see you, and you can't get a photo of them if you want. And this happens at every sodding school performance as well. Surely it's not that much of a hassle for the teachers to ask the taller kids to stand at the back!

5foot5 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:29:49

The MysteriousJackelope
gringrin Oh your post did make me laugh! Radioactive pickle!!

Scrubba Sun 19-Mar-17 16:32:13

Nope, I completely agree! Just last week my 7 yr old daughter was positioned behind a gargantuan year 6 kid. I have absolutely no idea what on earth the teacher was thinking. You literally couldn't even see a single bit of her. Even the parent next to me said "I thought your Sarah was in this club? Is she not here today?"

M2R2 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:56:25

To be honest at school I thought that maybe dd didn't practice enough. This time she knew the songs by heart, teacher was considering her for solo part then changed her mind as for y6 that is their last chance so picked one of them for solo part. Then she gave her a part on the drums but was taken away from her one day before the event for another y6 child. Dd was really disappointed and went home crying after that. And THEN putting her in the back not to be seen hmm

Italiangreyhound Sun 19-Mar-17 17:00:42

Really annoying when you go to an event to see your own child in it and cannot see them.

This happened to dd when we went to see a really great concert they put on. I was a bit put out.

I say mention it.

(Yes, I know you go to hear a concert but to be honest I went to see my girl in it!)

sparepantsandtoothbrush Sun 19-Mar-17 17:20:15

This happened all the time to DD. She's small for her ago so when they used to put them in year groups she'd be behind children younger but taller...she sang louder to make up for it grin

YANBU. It doesn't take a lot to make sure everyone can be seen

mygrandchildrenrock Sun 19-Mar-17 17:29:45

This happened at my children's high school. The oldest children are always at the front, most frustrating. Still, I thought one day my DD will be one of the oldest children so at the front, no such luck she left choir in Y9, always having been at the back! It is the daftest system I've ever seen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now