Talk

Advanced search

To want to get to the bottom..

(35 Posts)
missmove38 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:25:03

Of why my doorbell rings at similar times?

Not only is it always lateish at night but it's also when I'm on my own.

Moved into a town house a few weeks ago, I live on my own. The house has lower, middle & top floor. There is a parking space under the house, my door is on this parking space so not visible to anyone who wouldn't have seen someone walk in.

I have a partner who when I see at mine I drop to work (works nights) Sometimes I come straight home, sometimes I go to a friends for a quick catch up then come home.

The weird thing is it only goes off when he's not here. It's also clockwork in terms of me walking in, lights off downstairs..then the middle floor, then my bedroom light goes on (front of house).i do my teeth etc and within 5-10 mins the bell goes.

Has anyone else had this? I've had bells before with no trouble, I've read about interference. I live in a pretty secluded dead end place which is pitch black at night so can never see anyone the times it's gone, been too scared to answer the door!

Last night I removed the button from the front door..nothing..

Rainydayspending Sun 19-Mar-17 09:26:20

Is it one that sends a signal to the bell or is it wired in to the bell unit?

JungleInTheRumble Sun 19-Mar-17 09:27:51

Bit creepy. You should install a motion activated security light above your door and maybe a camera as well - see who's pressing it.

Happyandhungry Sun 19-Mar-17 09:30:15

If its a digital bell you're probably picking up interference from other peopls bell pushes. Weird that its the same time etc though. I would try a camera or next time when you come in just stand insie by the front door and see what happens.

HecateAntaia Sun 19-Mar-17 09:30:19

faulty bell or someone playing silly buggers.
i'd fit a motion sensitive light out there. if it lights up, you know it's being pressed, if not then you know it's faulty and needs replacing.

a motion sensor light is always a good thing to have anyway

TheWoodlander Sun 19-Mar-17 09:33:28

I would have to set up a camera to see if it's someone doing it. I assume you've never answered it/or nobody's there ?

Fruitcocktail6 Sun 19-Mar-17 09:36:26

I've known a doorbell to go off when the power came back on after a power cut. Could it be something to do with the fuse?

TheBreastmilksOnMe Sun 19-Mar-17 09:38:24

Your house could be haunted or you might have a stalker? <helpful suggestions>

AgentProvocateur Sun 19-Mar-17 09:39:20

Is it a neighbour coming home from work at the same time every night and pressing the lock button in his car key fob? Change the frequency of your bell and see if it helps

Ifailed Sun 19-Mar-17 09:39:42

if it's a wireless one, I have the same problem when my neighbour starts up their car!

Babbaganush Sun 19-Mar-17 09:40:21

My parents had a wireless doorbell that was triggered by some car key remotes. They lived near a school and it happened a lot!

Samatamfabahaba Sun 19-Mar-17 09:42:42

If somebody within a certain radius has the same one it'll be when there's goes off maybe? We had to get a new one as the neighbours four (possibly five) doors down had the same one and it used to go off every morning around seven when his kids got picked up by the nanny/child care woman. Drove me insane.

Algebraic Sun 19-Mar-17 09:48:22

My parents bell used to pick up someone's ring from over the other side so it could be coming from further than you think!

missmove38 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:00:29

Hi thanks for the replies!
It's a wireless one..sorry should have put that to begin with so no wires/power to contend with.
Where I live as I said is pretty secluded. Only 14 houses and is almost set out like a cul-de-sac (veers into 2 dead ends)
Most families are fairly old from what I can see so I'd assume in bed (not many lights on) never any cars either as I've stood and watched/listened with my window open!
I've been down once when my friends been on the phone and heard it..no one there but by the time I get down they would have a chance to have gone.
My friends have mentioned the fact it could be my ex (I had to have a restraining order taken out) but very much doubt he'd waste his time.
Odd one..

OliviaStabler Sun 19-Mar-17 13:02:20

I had this with my old doorbell. Would go off with no one there lots if times. I assumed it picked up signals from elsewhere and bought another one.

JonesyAndTheSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 13:03:40

Camera. Immediately OP. Can you get one today?

SnowBallsAreHere Sun 19-Mar-17 13:07:12

Wireless ones pick up signals from all sorts of things. Try changing the signal/receiver codes in the button and bell, or change it to a wired one

EsmesBees Sun 19-Mar-17 13:12:48

My old one wireless one used to do this. I'd bet that one of the 14 houses has the same bell. Change the frequency and see if it helps.

missmove38 Sun 19-Mar-17 13:32:53

I've brought the button in and will see what happens & go from there. Thanks all

KickAssAngel Sun 19-Mar-17 13:50:10

You say it only goes off when your DP isnot there, but are you sure? could it be you make more noise and wouldn't hear it?

If it's always at exactly the same point as you head for bed there are tow possibilities.
1. You have a highly dedicated stalker who knows your exact routine, whether your DP is there, and rings the bell at the same moment. They have begun stalking at exactly the same time as you moved into the house.
2. There's some electrical glitch caused by the turning off of lights. Possibly when your DP is around you don't do the exact same routine so it doesn't trigger it.

Try going through your night time routine (exactly) during the day, or vary it by half an hour, or start it but then go back and turn a downstairs light on etc. In other words, see if you can work out if it's the lights making it happen. Also get a motion sensor light for outside.

IF it isn't electrical, then move on to the possibility of a fastidious stalker, but that sounds unlikely.

abbsisspartacus Sun 19-Mar-17 13:56:15

I would second the motion activated light idea that way you know if it's a fault or a stalker

mmgirish Sun 19-Mar-17 14:11:58

That sounds a bit weird. Is it expensive to have a camera installed outside your home?

StarryIllusion Sun 19-Mar-17 14:15:56

I would go through the usual routine and then go down in the dark and wait for it to ring. Whip door open as soon as it sounds. Alternatively lie in wait at an upstairs window with a bucket of icy water.

missmove38 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:36:12

Hi thanks for the replies.
I've tried the routine thing turning lights etc on and off. My brother is a bit of a techie and ran me through loads of options.
The bell is inside but by the door (so if it's picking up interference it still will) and will see how it goes.
I wouldn't be brave enough to fling the door open as it's always late at night and very dark!

TheNaze73 Sun 19-Mar-17 16:50:12

It could be a spider

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now