To be irritated that there's a Smeg fridge in CBeebies kitchen?

(26 Posts)
arielmanto Sun 19-Mar-17 07:48:56

Just that, really. Seems like a gross waste of money - if they needed a red vintage looking one they could have saved a grand and got a different brand (Swan etc). It's doesn't even need to function! Grr.

SocksRock Sun 19-Mar-17 07:49:54

I bet they keep the gin, tonic, ice and lemons in it...

ShowMePotatoSalad Sun 19-Mar-17 07:51:19

My license fee probably paid for that! angrily shakes fist grin

ANiceSliceOfCake Sun 19-Mar-17 07:54:14

I bet Smeg paid for it knowing full well mums and dads will notice it. Genius really.

MissGoggins Sun 19-Mar-17 07:55:31

I doubt they paid for it. Sneaky BBC advertising wink

RapidlyOscillating Sun 19-Mar-17 07:56:16

It's all smeg on bake off too, I always assumed freebies.

DisneylandDreams Sun 19-Mar-17 08:00:31

One of our old family friends was a freelance stylist for photographic shoots - it was her job to source stuff for props and sets on shoots - i.e. everything the client could supply. Believe me, where they can beg, borrow and steal, they will do so - and branded stuff will be loaned on the understanding that it's good advertising for the company. Look at brands like Apple and Coca-cola in films. All over the place.

tabbymog Sun 19-Mar-17 08:06:05

It's just product placement for the supplier, any advertising is better than none. A red fridge, though, how gross. I imagine myself walking into my kitchen with a developing migraine, do I want to see a bright red monster on the attack... no thank you. grin

NoArmaniNoPunani Sun 19-Mar-17 08:08:26

I thought you were going to say you were annoyed because you didn't want your kids going round saying Smeg.

Aeroflotgirl Sun 19-Mar-17 08:10:26

Brand placement, yes I bet they get given stuff to put in their programmes to advertise it.

MMM3 Sun 19-Mar-17 08:26:03

Ha!

I just had to google "smeg" "cbeebies" and "tv license fee."

I feel so culturally literate now. grin

Ifailed Sun 19-Mar-17 08:29:10

What would be an acceptable brand then, OP?

ErrolTheDragon Sun 19-Mar-17 09:30:11

It's probably a deal to stop Smeg suing the BBC for Red Dwarf. grin

Littleballerina Sun 19-Mar-17 09:34:36

I have a red smeg. I like my fridge.

coldcanary Sun 19-Mar-17 09:35:52

According to an old friend who used to work in bbc finance they are notoriously tight fisted about props - there's very little chance that they paid much if anything for it!
If they can borrow or reuse something they will (just look at Doctor Who - they're always at it!) so it's probably used in a few other programmes.

RustyBear Sun 19-Mar-17 09:48:38

I remember when the BBC weren't allowed to advertise anything - on Blue Peter, they used to put tape over the name on the tube of glue and call it 'rubber solution glue' - you could still tell it was Copydex, though.

augustbody Sun 19-Mar-17 09:53:48

Well I'm pretty sure i have seen Ikea bedsheets in Mr tumbles house so maybe they saved a bit of money that way?

RustyBear Sun 19-Mar-17 09:53:56

Coldcanary- there's a big wooden barometer/thermometer that seems to appear in practically every BBC drama we've watched - DH and I notice it because we inherited its twin from PIL.

tabbymog Sun 19-Mar-17 11:54:46

I have a red smeg. I like my fridge.

I wouldn't mind a green one! grin

The kitchen in my new home is fully fitted with integrateds by the developer, though. AEG kit,very nicely done, not a big national chain developer.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 19-Mar-17 12:07:44

They have little CBeebies logos stuck over the smeg letters, though!

Prole Sun 19-Mar-17 12:55:55

It's probably the fridge that used to be upstairs in the Queen Vic

Doobigetta Sun 19-Mar-17 13:57:09

Poor CBeebies. My kitchen has Smeg appliances (not chosen by me) and they're shit. Triumph of style over substance. Especially the oven.

arielmanto Sun 19-Mar-17 16:34:50

As PP said, they have the little CBeebies logos stuck over the smeg logo though! So if it is product placement it's pretty ineffective. Except I suppose to skint mamas like myself who are just hugely jealous that ANYONE has a smeg fridge. Sigh. As for worrying that DD might start saying Smeg, I have a fridge with BUSH emblazoned on the front, and a female partner. So explaining that one could be worse.

BrutusMcDogface Sun 19-Mar-17 20:52:30

Ariel! gringringrin

mygorgeousmilo Sun 19-Mar-17 20:54:52

It's a popular practice known as 'product placement'. I hope!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now