Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to take a chicken poxed girl out to play

(31 Posts)
Noodlebugs1981 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:43:42

My DD will be 5 tomorrow & has had chicken pox for a week. Her party has been cancelled & we've been all home all week. She's a happy bunny now and all spots have crusted over apart from two deep stubborn ones on palms (which I feel would never get to the surface!). AIBU to pop to the park for a scoot...would an outdoors playground and DD in gloves be appropraite? hmm

TaliDiNozzo Sat 18-Mar-17 19:48:07

I think you probably already know YWBU to do this.

EdenX Sat 18-Mar-17 19:48:22

I was told by GP that there haven't been any known cases of passing it on after 5 days from onset of the rash.

Wickedstepmum67 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:51:34

Poor thing to miss her party! As someone who caught Chickenpox at 24, I have to say please be glad your little one has had it now and be hopeful she has infected some chums. It's a minor inconvenience at 5, but nasty and potentially serious as an adult. I didn't get it as a child because adults kept infected kids away from school etc back then. The only exceptions to not sharing the bug are pregnant women and anyone with a lowered immune system.

hazeyjane Sat 18-Mar-17 19:57:41

It's a minor inconvenience at 5, but nasty and potentially serious as an adult.

This is not necessarily true. Chicken pox can have rare, but, devastating consequences at any age in those that are healthy and those who have underlying health conditions.

toobreathless Sat 18-Mar-17 19:58:16

Personally I would take her out.

The risk of infecting others after the rash has been present for 5 days or more is almost zero.

(Doctor)

Littlecaf Sat 18-Mar-17 19:59:11

Yes go for it. Keep her away from other kids

i think you can take her for a scoot somewhere quiet, but not to a kids' playground.

WantedDeadorAlive Sat 18-Mar-17 19:59:37

Erm.... Im still surprised how many people are not aware that you can catch chicken pox more than once. I've had it a grand total of 3 times, each time gp confirmed. I believe I've probably built up an immunity now!

Back to the original post- as long as the spots are scabby then it's fine, even if she looks a fright! Shame about her party hopefully you were able to rearrange. Happy 5th birthday OP DD!

toobreathless Sat 18-Mar-17 19:59:46

Sorry vague wording I mean AFTER 5 days so day 6 onwards.

captainproton Sat 18-Mar-17 20:02:28

Children can die from chickenpox although it is true more adults die from it than children.

ActuallyThatsSUPREMECommander Sat 18-Mar-17 20:02:42

She's had it a week - she's scabbed over. I know that MN's paranoia about CP is normally well founded but in this case you should definitely take the poor wee mite out for a runaround.

ImFuckingSpartacus Sat 18-Mar-17 20:07:20

Once they have all scabbed over you can go wherever you like, its not contagious anymore.

WhirlwindHugs Sat 18-Mar-17 20:09:19

We found spots on the palm of hands never scabbed, just eventually faded

Dinosaursdontgrowontrees Sat 18-Mar-17 20:15:52

Would covering the Ines one her hand with plasters work?
I think I would take her out, poor little thing.

Coulddowithanap Sat 18-Mar-17 20:20:54

I took my son to a park when his chicken pot spots scabbed over. I chose a local one that is hardly ever busy. There was no one else there at time we went anyway.

Lazyafternoon Sat 18-Mar-17 20:45:21

Personally I would.

I'd avoid others, but a bit of fresh air would do her world of good.

coconutpie Sat 18-Mar-17 20:59:00

No you absolutely cannot take her out until all scabs are crusted over. I can't understand parents who just have blatant disregard for the health of others. Yes it's an inconvenience to be stuck at home for a week but it's ONE WEEK, suck it up. It's attitudes like this that make it spread and next thing, an immuno-compromised person gets it or a pregnant woman and that's really serious and can have devastating consequences.

coconutpie Sat 18-Mar-17 21:00:45

PS
Happy birthday to your DD. Throw her an even more special party when she's better and get her an extra pressie or something to make up for it.

Porpoiselife Sat 18-Mar-17 21:01:01

Once they have scabbed over it's fine as no longer contagious. Hope she's spot free soon!

Porpoiselife Sat 18-Mar-17 21:02:11

Oh and ones on palms don't scab, so if the others have it's fine!

TheHobbitMum Sat 18-Mar-17 21:02:24

If she's still contagious then please don't! Could you drive to a woods or somewhere out of the way to get out for a walk? There are so many people who are immunocompromised (me included) and I would he seriously ill sad It's just not worth it

Mum2jenny Sat 18-Mar-17 21:05:00

I would, but many ppl would disagree.

Moocherbot Sat 18-Mar-17 21:07:21

When my son had it he had a bigger nap in the day and we went to the playground in the evening when everyone else had gone home. It was like a special adventure and actually quite memorable.

ImFuckingSpartacus Sat 18-Mar-17 21:09:42

If she's still contagious then please don't! Could you drive to a woods or somewhere out of the way to get out for a walk?

It's established that she isn't contagious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now