Talk

Advanced search

6 year old in my house for 6 hours no parents have looked for her?

(106 Posts)
Crazymoo82 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:26:35

My 6 year old brought one of her friend into play at 12 today. The girl is a neighbour however she lives at one end of a rather long street and we live at the other . My dd has to come tell me if she is going into her friends house, should say though that the friend I means is not the girl here atm. Dds friend is only 3 doors down and I can see the house from my garden. However this other girl has been here for 6 hours now, she hadn't had lunch when she came in so I gave them some, asked her if her mum knows where she is she said no she is at the shops! Also gave her dinner now as I wasn't going to give my dds and leave her out. Aibu to be pissed off at this girls parents for 1 going to shop and just leaving her playing In the street, 2 not bothering to look for their dd for so long?
My daughters go out to play they must stay in the garden or if going to play with others then I watch or walk up with them and they all play in one of our gardens together. If my dds had been away for 6 min alone I would be going crazy!

annandale Sat 18-Mar-17 18:27:31

Take her back.

DancingPenguin1 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:28:28

Maybe they're panicking because they don't know where she is. Why on earth have you not taken her back / let them know where she is?!

Lilaclily Sat 18-Mar-17 18:28:52

How do you know they're not out looking for her ?

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Mar-17 18:28:58

YABU not to pop her back home.

What's that about?

DrippyWet Sat 18-Mar-17 18:29:04

Why wouldn't you have taken her back?

DartmoorDoughnut Sat 18-Mar-17 18:29:08

How do you know they aren't looking for her?! Can you see the house from yours? The police could be there!

CurlsLDN Sat 18-Mar-17 18:29:38

But if they don't know where she is, how do you know they aren't going crazy? They may have called the police already!

I wouldn't necessarily believe a 6 year old about all her guardians being at the shop, there may well be someone else at home

RainbowCake Sat 18-Mar-17 18:29:41

If you know where she lives I'd take her home and say to parent, "I thought you might be wondering where she was".
It's a piss take but I would have taken her home well before now.

Maudlinmaud Sat 18-Mar-17 18:30:39

The parents may be frantic looking for the child. Take her home and find out.

Stuck16 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:30:51

My DS is always in and out of neighbours houses, I tell him to tell me where he's going but often he forgets- same with his friends they come here too, and I suspect they don't tell their parents they're coming over. We all know they'll be in one of 4 houses so as it starts to get dark we send them home if they haven't already left.
Just take the girl home.

rainingkitsandpups Sat 18-Mar-17 18:30:56

How do you know they're not frantic?? They have no idea she's in your house! So of course they don't know to look there

WorraLiberty Sat 18-Mar-17 18:31:13

And I wouldn't have given her lunch either, without waiting for her mum to come back from the shops, and checking if it was ok.

She could have gone to the shop to get something for lunch for all you knew.

DixieNormas Sat 18-Mar-17 18:31:15

Well if they live on the same street, even a long one and were looking for her the op would have noticed by now

Take her home

RainbowCake Sat 18-Mar-17 18:31:18

Sorry posted too soon. I would have taken her back sooner as parents might be panicking.

GotToGetMyFingerOut Sat 18-Mar-17 18:31:20

How do you know they aren't out looking and climbing the bloody walls panicking. Maybe her mum was at the shop that doesn't mean she was left alone. Someone else could of been there.

SparklyLeprechaun Sat 18-Mar-17 18:31:53

Have you actually checked with her parents? Maybe they are desperately looking for her and have no idea she is with you? I wouldn't just keep a child in my house without checking with the parents. Her mum might have popped up to the shops for 5 minutes and come home to an empty house, can you imagine that?

mumontherun14 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:32:09

I've had similar before in our street. Can you not walk along with her to her house with her and your DD to let her mum know where she is. I usually find when I do that the parents are a bit apologetic that they have been there so long but then they know for the future that I will send them home after a bit. Sometimes we end up swapping numbers and they'll offer to take my DD in return. Other times it's a genuine mistake and the mum assumed the dad had checked on the DD. I would take her home 6 hrs is a long time x

PossumInAPearTree Sat 18-Mar-17 18:32:10

Why on earth didn't you send her back before now to let someone know where she is?

IamFriedSpam Sat 18-Mar-17 18:32:20

I very much doubt they have the police out looking (they'd obviously have just knocked on all the doors knowing that the kids often play with each other and pop into each other's houses or at the very walked down the street shouting her name). It does sound like they're taking the piss - I'm assuming this girl is around your DD's age?

3luckystars Sat 18-Mar-17 18:32:21

I wouldn't let a child in without making sure their mother knows where they were.

Is this going to be one of those threads full of every excuse why you don't do the most obvious thing?

Take her home!!!!!

fruitbrewhaha Sat 18-Mar-17 18:35:27

gosh yes op, you need to go around to her house, they could be looking for her.

HecateAntaia Sat 18-Mar-17 18:36:43

just because she said theyre shopping it doesnt mean they are.
and even if the mum had nipped out maybe someone else was home.
and its highly doubtful any shopping lasted 6 hours!

its likely the kid lied so they could stay.

for all you know she didnt tell anyone where she was.

you need to take her home.

Teatowelfairy Sat 18-Mar-17 18:36:59

I don't understand why you didn't take her home hours ago or at the very least gone round to check she hadn't been left alone while her DM popped to the shops under the pretence of letting her DM know she was at yours and checking it was OK for her to stay and play awhile. confused

opheliaamongthelillies Sat 18-Mar-17 18:37:05

You should have made her go back (or walked her round) and tell whoever was at home that she will be at yours when she first pitched up! We have loads of kids in our house from the street and I always ensure I know their parents know they are here and vice versa when my dd is at a neighbours! Common sense!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now