Talk

Advanced search

To think even if I wanted to I could not leave my husband

(20 Posts)
thesunstillshines Sat 18-Mar-17 18:13:46

We have been finding things difficult since having DC but even if we wanted to split AIBU to think we couldn't.

Reasons are

I have no family to help. As in, no one at all, so if I got ill my children would be taken into foster care.
Money, even splitting everything down the middle we would both be left without basic things
Our lives are now always linked due to dc

Or aibu

NapQueen Sat 18-Mar-17 18:16:13

You dont need family help. If you require childcare for work you will have help from the government as a lone parent.

If you fell ill the kids could go stay with their dad for a bit while you recover.

You share kids so yes your lives will always be linked. But you can still be on your own.

ProudBadMum Sat 18-Mar-17 18:17:02

Wouldn't their dad take them if you got ill?

esiotrot2015 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:18:54

why would they be taken into foster care if they've got a dad in the picture plus maybe inlaws too?

People split up all the time and manage, money isn't a reason to stay together

DJBaggySmalls Sat 18-Mar-17 18:20:31

Its difficult but doable. You do have to be a coper. I was rushed into hospital and the DC's went into foster care for 2 weeks. They were fine.

There are 3 things you need to sort out;
Housing
Income/benefits/maintenance
Job

If any of those are insecure its hell. People need secure homes and proper job contracts.

thesunstillshines Sat 18-Mar-17 18:21:47

No no inlaws. I think dh would prob move abroad if we split. Housing, income and jobs would all be insecure. It's not just money. I mean it's part money but also a load else.

user1489860385 Sat 18-Mar-17 18:54:28

I am foreign, still have quite an accent after 25 years, get very often ill, do not have relatives,... and somehow we manage.
You will find new friends, who will help you. You will encounter generosity from most unexpected places. Yes, there are very tough times too, but you will be better off at the end.

Ihavefriends Sat 18-Mar-17 18:56:16

It may well be a bit shit at times if you left him.

But the bigger question is: How shit are things now?

You're asking a question you wouldn't ask if all was well, so how bad is it? That will modify how bad it will feel if you left.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sat 18-Mar-17 18:58:40

I thought I'd never cope if I left exH. 2 years down the line we're coping just fine. It's tough at times but we manage. Eventually I got to the point where I couldn't continue in our marriage any further.

Pestilentialone Sat 18-Mar-17 19:01:57

Any woman can leave any man any time she wants to.
It might not be easy or glamorous but it is possible and there is help.
womens aid is just one of those helpers out there.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Sat 18-Mar-17 19:03:28

This is a very odd post OP.

I've been ill many times and I'm sure all parents have been ill at times. Children don't get taken into foster care just because you're ill.

Do you really not have anyone? Where are your friends?

bluetigergreen Sat 18-Mar-17 19:04:22

I think you still could if you actually wanted to. Lots of people are single parents without support networks but as PP said getting benefits (if eligible)/housing/job in place beforehand is key.

I hope I don't sound like a total hypocrite but I feel like I couldn't leave if I wanted because DP and our DCs have a great relationship and as DP is from a country without an agreement on returning children kidnapped by a parent, us splitting would mean that DCs would lose contact with one of us. Since DP is not violent, I think that is too high a price to pay for an unfulfilling relationship.

thesunstillshines Sat 18-Mar-17 19:48:31

I'm sorry you feel it's odd. No I don't have any friends who could take my children

ImFuckingSpartacus Sat 18-Mar-17 19:51:32

* If you require childcare for work you will have help from the government as a lone parent*

Lol. That's hilarious.

Beachedwh4le Sat 18-Mar-17 19:52:13

Their dad would take them. Moving abroad doesn't stop him being their guardian 😳

HopelesslydevotedtoGu Sat 18-Mar-17 19:54:09

Would your husband really move abroad? When would he see your children? Wouldn't he stay local for regular time with them?

ChrisYoungFuckingRocks Sat 18-Mar-17 20:03:05

I live in the UK and all my family is in South Africa. My ex alienated me from all my friends. I literally had not one single person to help me. But I left him, with only my DTDs and what clothes we could pack (with the help of the Woman's Refuge). We coped, we got through it, and our lives are much better away from him. He still sees them every weekend, but leaving him was the best thing I've ever done.

If your relationship is unhappy/abusive or whatever, you shouldn't stay in it on the off chance that you may get ill some day. Chances are you won't get ill. Whatever you decide - you can cope. It's not easy, but it's certainly possible.

thesunstillshines Sat 18-Mar-17 20:06:40

Well the illness is just an example. But yeah i think he'd either take DC to canada or he'd live in canada and have a new family. Anyway I can't leave but just saying i don't think it's an option.

amberdillyduck Sat 18-Mar-17 20:09:00

This is almost the same as another post last week.

thesunstillshines Sat 18-Mar-17 20:10:04

thank you that's really helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now