Talk

Advanced search

Should I let her teacher know?

(58 Posts)
Halle71 Sat 18-Mar-17 15:55:41

My 7 year old / yr 3 DD went on a school trip yesterday and when I was cleaning out her lunchbox I found this. It's her writing.
I asked her how she knows about Chucky and she named a boy in her class.
Reading between the lines (her teacher practically told me) he comes from a troubled background and DD has taken it upon herself to look after him - lends him stationary, helps him with his work, pairs with him for trips because no one else will (her words) and chooses him for team sports.
I really don't want to spoil this relationship or make life any more difficult for him, but I'm also not happy about things they are potentially talking about.
Maybe not mention his name?

AlexanderHamilton Sat 18-Mar-17 15:57:31

If they are 7 they have probably seen a meme sonewhere rather than the film.

Trifleorbust Sat 18-Mar-17 15:59:01

I wouldn't worry about mentioning his name. We were talking about Chucky, Candyman, Freddy etc by maybe 8-9 at school. I've never seen any of those films. It's what kids do.

MissGoggins Sat 18-Mar-17 16:00:57

I would laugh that off. "What a silly thing to draw, let's throw it in the bin and talk about the trip."

Ohyesiam Sat 18-Mar-17 16:05:42

Kids talk about stuff they hear older kids mention. Doesn't mean they have seen it.
My son talks about computer games I know he has never played.
I can understand your concern, but it sound ok to me.

Billybonkers76 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:06:58

My DD sometimes sings "one two Freddys coming for you" in a creepy way. She's not in the slightest bit serial killerish. Kids like creepy things.

Shopkinsdoll Sat 18-Mar-17 16:09:21

My son came out of school a few months ago, mentioning the doll Chucky. I just explained it wasn't real and just a film. He's p2 aged 6.

Shopkinsdoll Sat 18-Mar-17 16:10:46

That's very thoughtful of your daughter helping the young boy.

BarbarianMum Sat 18-Mar-17 16:11:39

You might mention it to the teacher but he may just be repeating something he's heard from other children or an older sibling.

chubbymummy Sat 18-Mar-17 16:12:27

What on earth do you expect the teacher to do about it?

GeillisTheWitch Sat 18-Mar-17 16:14:39

Kids younger than that were all going on about "killer chainsaw clowns" a few months ago at school. It's just a daft phase, kids like scaring each other but I doubt they've seen the actual films.

BarbarianMum Sat 18-Mar-17 16:17:37

Teacher can note it and, if there are repeated indications that this young child is being exposed to unsuitable adult material there will be safeguarding procedures that can be triggered.

Annesmyth123 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:19:52

I wouldn't even take that under my notice. I'd just bin it. And change the subject.

Maudlinmaud Sat 18-Mar-17 16:20:37

If you mention it to the teacher they will just shrug their shoulders at you. They really can't police the nonsense, and this is nonsense, that kids come out with.
Your daughter sounds like a lovely little girl btw.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:26:53

It was done at school on school paper. At the very least the school would take it form you, note your concerns, and put it in his file. They will know whether there is relevant safeguarding background. You hint at this, so it would be remiss not to voice your concerns.

My son was always seated with troubled children because he was nice to them. One day one such child threw a shelf form a doll's house at him and scarred him above the eye. I wished I had intervened before, just o say 'can my son not ALWAYS be with him please?'

As a reminder to those who have laughed this off, one of the Bulger killers (aged 8) watched Childsplay form his dad's video collection Not trying to be alarmist : just saying it's an assumption that he hasn't watched it.

Annesmyth123 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:29:30

My DS used to draw graves and headstones and tell everyone that was where he was going to bury people. He was just a wee boy talking shite. I'd have been mortified if the school had reported me to ss for that.

TinselTwins Sat 18-Mar-17 16:29:40

My kids at that age knew who chucky was but had never seen the film, they just knew it as a halloween costume they'ld seen about.

They knew loadsa characters from grown up films/games through merchandise in shops and ads, but none of them (in their friend groups) had actually watched the film or played the games

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:32:26

Should add - I occasionally get handed things by English teachers, very dark writing usually about death and stuff, Normally , it is just boys going through a 'dark' phase, but I would always talk to the child about it. I would feel awful if I overlooked it if anything subsequently happened. Not to mention, worst case scenario, the Serious Case Review outcomes if a school ignored or pushed aside safeguarding concerns.

The school should definitely talk to this little boy.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:33:57

Anne, I don't think anyone mentioned SS. But only the school knows the background on this child.

APlaceInTheWinter Sat 18-Mar-17 16:34:48

We've had pupils dress up as Chucky for our school's Hallowe'en party (at age 6 or 7).
My DS learnt about zombies at nursery from DCs who had older siblings. He now knows everything there is to know about the Walking Dead through another DC at school.
Let the teacher know if it makes you feel better but I doubt they'll be surprised. It's not necessarily a sign of a troubled child or a neglectful family (in the SS sense).

Annesmyth123 Sat 18-Mar-17 16:35:59

I took "safeguarding procedures that can be triggered" to involve a report to ss

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:38:28

Sorry, maybe I am out of step here but everything apart possibly form the zombies bit in your post alarms me Place.

None of the trick or treaters on our estate at Hallowe'en were dressed as Chucky In fact Scream masks are widely tutted at.

Plenty of schools would not allow Chucky costumes or similar.

That aside, I think some of these gung ho posters may not have read OP's post fully. She DOES identify the boy as troubled.

Am I the only one on here who has seen Childsplay, out of curiosity? It is vile.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:39:49

Anne - that would happen if there were already masses of red flags about the child. For all we , or the OP, know, SS are involved.

Not all safeguarding work in schools triggers SS involvement, though.

ILikeBeansWithKetchup Sat 18-Mar-17 16:40:48

Just asked my 15 yo if he has heard of Chucky.

No clue.

MissGoggins Sat 18-Mar-17 16:41:37

I haven't seen it. Perhaps it would change my perspective if I had.

But nothing on that page says anyone has seen it. It is folklore. One child tells another tells another...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now