Talk

Advanced search

To wonder what happens to anti social neighbours who own their own homes?

(11 Posts)
Ummerryeah Sat 18-Mar-17 10:18:32

I was reading in my local paper about a block of flats where the tenants are all being evicted by the landlord for anti-social behaviour.

I've also read on here people giving advice to people suffering anti-social behaviour to contact the landlord where appropriate.

I was then wondering what happens to anti-social neighbours who own their homes? Can they be evicted? Who then gets their home? Or what happens to them?

I'm not the anti-social neighbour or fortunately affected by anti-social neighbours I was just wondering.

JustRosieHere Sat 18-Mar-17 10:21:30

You can contact environmental health and it can get to the point where they are issued with an order to stop the anti social behaviour, if they ignore the order they can go to court. I've never heard of anyone having their home removed from them though. From experience though private landlords don't necessarily sort out anti social behaviour either.

Happyandhungry Sat 18-Mar-17 10:44:39

I did see on tv once a set of neighbours arguing over a hedge (ridiculous i know) it got nasty over time and eventually went to court. The people with the hedge lost and had to sell their home to cover legal fees. I suppose this can be the way it happens sometimes for unreasonable homeowners. Other than that not sure? It would be really hard. I know you can get an ASBO that means you can enter an area including where your own home is in extreme circumstances so you'd be forced to sell that way too i guesd.

LakieLady Sat 18-Mar-17 10:57:45

It's very difficult to do anything.

Noise nuisance can be dealt with by environmental health, but they'll only take action if it's really serious. They'd also do something if the neighbours were leaving loads of rubbish around and attracting vermin.

The sort of anti-social behaviour that is below the threshold where the police will act is almost possible to address without taking them to court, and that costs a bloody fortune.

I put up with years of low-level abuse from the bloke next door that I'd have reported had he been a council tenant.

Funnily enough, it stopped soon after DP moved in.

SheldonsSpot Sat 18-Mar-17 11:00:39

It's very difficult, if you own your home and your neighbours own theirs, to do anything about ignorant antisocial fuckers, other than move house.

cazisalittlenuts Sat 18-Mar-17 11:20:16

Going on my personal experience, very little happens to anti-social people who own their own home. There is a particular family in my street who, every weekend without fail get drunk, slam doors, shout and scream at each other in the most abusive language, and even on occasion have threatened to kill each other and nothing gets done. Its not even the parents half the time any more, its the teenage children. When it was reported to the people that deal with Antisocial behaviour in my area, they didnt even bother to investigate further after the neighbour who lives directly next door to them apparantly hears nothing from their house... but yet the people who live in the street behind us, and the over the road neighbours hear everything.

thegoodnameshadgone Sat 18-Mar-17 20:50:45

And does anyone remember the thread where the op was worried about buying a house where the neighbours were council tenants? My comment was its luck of the draw on neighbours. At least with council tenants you can complain and I guess it will be addressed. (I'm a council tenant waiting for the right to buy or right to acquire). Really is luck of the draw isn't it

Applebite Sat 18-Mar-17 20:56:59

It's really difficult. A friend of my parents had a family move in next door - there were 13 of them in a 3 bedroom house. The noise was horrific and they started praying really loudly, early in the morning. She asked the father if they could do it a bit later and he just replied, "children must learn!"

She was also gardening and some of the younger kids were "hunting" her over the fence - the little sods had sharpened some canes and were chucking them at her like spears!

In theory you have a claim for nuisance but in practice it's quite hard to prove. She ended up selling her house in the end - but the only person who was interested was in the father's family so she took a bit of a hit on the price sad

dancingdaffs Sat 18-Mar-17 21:03:34

It's very difficult, if you own your home and your neighbours own theirs, to do anything about ignorant antisocial fuckers, other than move house.

^ This.

And if you own your own property and make a complaint you will have to disclose it when you move.

mistermagpie Sat 18-Mar-17 22:38:41

I work for a council and we have a team that deals with exactly this. There is antisocial behaviour legislation designed for tackling owner-occupiers and a range of enforcement measures (plus 'softer' things like mediation) that can be used. I won't bore you with them all but they culminate in an ASBO basically. There are injunctions which can be used to keep somebody out of their home even if they own it but this is rare and would be related to risk of violence or harm.

I'm in Scotland but if you Google antisocial behaviour legislation in your country then you will be able to find out more.

Ummerryeah Sun 19-Mar-17 08:25:01

What happens mistermagpie if they are given an injunction?

Are they housed in council accommodation? Are they allowed to sell their house to purchase a new one? What if they refuse to sell their house or are in negative equity so can't buy somewhere but aren't allowed to live there does the council have a duty to house them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now