Nhs 111(26 Posts)
wondered if anyone could help, not really aibu but thought I'd get more responses here.
A few weeks ago my 2 year old had an ear infection and perforated ear drum he had the pain before the actual gunk started coming out of his ear, when the gunk came out the pain seems to have eased. He was priscribed antibiotics.
He's hasn't been 100% today and has been of food, put him to bed as usual he was asleep for about half hour and the screaming started, I settled him but few mins later the same thing it's been like this since half 6. He's screaming and holdong his ear-the same ear as before.
He's now lying on me half asleep but still the odd crying and holding his ear and very agitated.
I called 111 as this is how he was when he had his last ear infection they got someone to call us back who said it's not an emergancy case and to give him calpol, which we told her we already had. She asked if any gunk was coming out and we said and she said well he's not showing signs of it being a infection even though he didn't have gunk last time when it started which we told her!
She then said to not put anything in the ear and left it at that.
I feel like there happy for him to be left like this untill we get to see a gp on Monday! Does this sound like the start of an infection or am I being over cautious
Also this is the only out of service number to call in our area no walk in clinics or out of hours doctors to cAll
Don't rate 111 with regards to ear infections. We had the same issue with DS. Was told it was viral, or just give calpol. We ended up going to minor a&e, if late, or gp if during the day (and could be seen). And surprise surprise each time he was suffering really bad. If in doubt I advise seeking help elsewhere
I think maybe the person might have been abrupt, but they're right.
Calpol for pain and reduction of any temperatures, but antibiotics aren't routinely given for ear infections.
I've phoned 111 for several issues over the years. Each time they've told me to give Calpol but take them to A and E if I was worried.
Bloody useless, if I wasn't worried I wouldn't have called.
Did your little one have a gunky ear at first?
Iv called them back and they said they will get a doctor to call back with in 6 hours Iv out him back to bed and he's quiet for now, but don't want him to be left in pain!
The standard advice for ear infections is to give calpol at first for 2 days then antibiotics if no better or if it becomes gunky or there are other signs of illness- does he have a temperature? That's usually a good sign of an infection.
BUT, you've said he's had a perforation recently. Did you tell them that on the phone?
Friday night is often busy. If he can manage to sleep overnight with calpol and still seems off tomorrow then call again.
If he can't sleep because of pain, even with calpol then ring again tonight.
Don't be afraid to call back if he stays the same or gets worse.
Nope it take him to the nearest walk in centre or A&E, my neice now has hearing loss her right ear due to horrific infections, wouldn't be so bad.... however she's completely deaf in her left ear (didn't develop at birth and they only found out when she was being tested for dyslexia)
Oh I didn't know that about antibiotics after 2 days, his temp was fine but I took it after calpol so will take it again when he due more. Yes I told her the about the perforated ear but she didn't say anything or mention anything about it, he's been quiet for about 15 mins now which is the longest he has been
He only had a leaky ear once, and he had about 12 ear infections is one year. The signs we had were a temperature, clingy, rubbing his ears and the glands being slightly raised. Each time he had antibiotics. One ear infection needed 3 courses of antibiotics before it went! If he's sleeping well for now, and seems happy, I'd wait until the morning and take him to a minor a&e, or doctors (if they are open weekends - ours aren't) x
Poor little thing! My toddler has just recovered from a gunky (or snotty ear as he called it) he'd had it for 10 weeks. This is the second winter he's had lots of ear issues. It started off gunky, then smelly gunky (which we needed antibiotic drops for) then clear/green gunky. He always had his finger in it which was horrible.
He's been well throughout the 10 weeks, although whenever he had a cold the gunk levels would increase. We had several prescriptions for amoxicillin but were told not to give it unless he was unwell - Calpol and ibuprofen given alternatively was advised.
I hope your little one feels better soon, it must be really miserable for him. DS has seen the consultant this week for a hearing test as he's had so many infections/perforations, luckily all seemed ok but hopefully next winter he won't have as many!
Oh no that seems awfull Beverleymacca he's woken up today with a gunky ear, called 111 back they said they'd get some one to call me with an appointment within 24 hours just had a call back and they said it's really busy so she doesn't know when they will be able to see him and just wait for another call which could be 24 hours. Do you think I should wait it out he seems ok has managed to eat a little cereal currently just sitting quietly on the sofa, his temp seems fine. Just don't fancy taken all the other kids with me to sit in A n e for hours. We havnt got any walk in places or anything here just 111.
My dd has had a gunky ear for about 3 weeks. She's had 2 different lots of antibiotics, now on her third lot. I was advised to give ibuprofen to ease the inflammation. She's fine in herself tho. She's 21 months. Hope ds feels better soon
my DS 1 perforated his eardrum by poking a pen in his ear, and got an infection when he was little, had antibiotics and it appeared to clear up but kept coming back turned into a cholosteoma where the ear drum grows inwards trapping gunk and infection behind it causing the bones in his ear to disintegrate, had to have several ops to clean it all out and rebuild the bones. I always say after an ear infection go back to GP to check its really fully gone. DS2 had the usual ear infection, red, inflamed, pain then gunk and his GP kept getting us back every couple of weeks until he was sure it was clear, we look back and think this is why he avoided any more ear problems unlike his poor brother.
OP, I'd leave him. Both my dds have had infections like this when younger. They usually resulted in the ear drum perforating. Her constant told me that she doesn't want my dd to have antibiotics unless she is unwell or had a temperature. I was also told that the gunk meant the pain and pressure would stop, so I expect he will be happier today.
NoW it's popped and the gunk is coming out he will be more comfortable. Before it popped it would have been the pain from the build up of pressure that was upsetting him. Keep him topped up on calpol and you'll prob find he'll be ok until Monday when you can get him to you GP. Obviously if you get a call back you may be able to get antibiotics sooner but like I say once the eardrum has popped the painful pressure has gone. Hope this helps
He does seem happier now it's popped, so hopefully hel have a better night tonight thansjf ir everyone's help
Glad he's perked up a bit! It's really not nice though and quite alarming to see fluid leaking from their wee ears so it's no wonder you were worried.
Glad he's feeling better.
Just as an aside, if you had a call back from NHS111, it will have been from a trained medical professional, a doctor, nurse or paramedic. Calls that the call handler is unsure of are referred on to the qualified personnel on the team and there is one on every shift.
Just to update got a call around 4! They priscribed antibiotics for me to pick up at local pharmacy so didn't need to him. Hopefully theyl kick in soon! X
It is only gunky once the ear drum has perforated and that releases the pressure. Many ear infections are viral so don't need abs. If he has congestion in his nose work on easing that (nasal drops, decongestant vaporiser etc) as that in turn will help ear pain.
He is a bit congested his eyes are very watery to, should I hold of the antibiotics untill I get go to see him on Monday then?
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.