Talk

Advanced search

To spend this much on hens?

(11 Posts)
hellohailey Fri 17-Mar-17 20:16:45

Hello all,

I know this is a forum for mums with kids, so fancy me talking about chickens ha! I've not long been married to my partner and we recently acquired two hens, they were given to me rather than by choice really, though I've become quite fond of them.

I've bought some fox repellent to keep them safe, though I still worry how effective it is really and they could do with a better henhouse as we bought it a bit last minute. The one I'm looking at is £829 though my partner has gone absolutely mad at me for even considering it and says it's out of the question, we've had a bit of a row over it and he's not speaking to me now. He keeps saying he's going to eat them because they're too expensive to keep and it's quite upsetting.

AIBU for wanting them to be well looked after and for thinking his comments are very inappropriate considering how I've bonded with the poor things?

AnitaPallenbergsKnees Fri 17-Mar-17 20:18:55

Buy a cheaper house and spend the rest on an electric fence - tried and tested fox deterrent.

hellohailey Fri 17-Mar-17 20:28:34

If only, Anita! The house is already new and I've just finished doing it up, I can't let two hens run me out of my own home. grin

yellowfrog Fri 17-Mar-17 20:29:48

Not helpful I know, but the hens sound nicer than your husband! is he being serious?

Chasingsquirrels Fri 17-Mar-17 20:30:52

Lol, I think she meant a cheaper hen house - not your house!

ElizaBenson Fri 17-Mar-17 20:32:25

Is it an omlet one? I've usually managed to find them quite a bit cheaper on ebay so might be worth a look

I'd consider eating the husband though he's probably very expensive to keep

Ellisandra Fri 17-Mar-17 20:34:38

I'm giggling at your husband threatening to eat them grin

PhilODox Fri 17-Mar-17 20:35:30

There's a chicken board on MN. Can't remember its name though!blush

user1487070016 Fri 17-Mar-17 20:47:39

How many hens do you need to house? If it's less than 12 then YABU. You can get something very good for less than £500. If you want a plastic one (easier to clean etc) then durham hens do a good one which gives more room per bird than most. I've had one for 18 months with 6 birds in and it still looks as new after it's been washed - they do like a bit of mud.

contrary13 Fri 17-Mar-17 21:16:49

We have four bantams in a wooden coop which cost £140 on Amazon three years ago (it was bought as a place to put our indoor only cats on sunny days outside so that we could have doors wide open), and which is supposed to house 5-6 full sized chickens. This sits on concrete (which means foxes can't dig underneath it... and nor can rats), which can be pressure washed every now and then, as needs be. They also have a lawn run, which cost £50 and a lawn run shelter (which they all complain about and pretend to loathe... but which they all lay eggs in, so they don't hate it that much!), which cost £30. They don't sleep in this overnight, however, as it's on the lawn and... well, mine are spoiled birds (plus we have a lot of outdoor cats, and wandering foxes in the vicinity, so I'm not running the risk).

All told, my four chooks cost less than my two children do, to feed, individually each week. And, frankly, the cuddles my rooster gives me each day, the eggs my hens lay, and the fact that I don't have to beg them to eat their green leaf veggies... makes it all worth it. If the dog didn't already hold the title of "favourite child", then it would belong to my rooster. I'd not be without them. And as I had a serious phobia about chickens until these four flew into my life? That's saying something! Until these, I didn't know that chickens were even capable of individual personalities! Or voices! But now? Now... I know.

My daughter tries to convince me to be rid of them on a near weekly basis (we've had them since August), because she doesn't understand their quirks. Because she won't spent time watching or being around them. Maybe try getting your DH to sit and observe them for a while? Talk to him about how Hen A is bossy, whilst Hen B is a little nervous around X... and does he have any ideas how her confidence can be built up so that she's not nervous anymore?, for example. Didn't work with my daughter... but it did with me! And if I, a chicken-phobe (I was attacked by a flock at a very young age whilst carrying a feed bucket for them), can now not only be around, pick up and cuddle, but also dive into the middle of a rooster squabble for dominance with a bolshy hen, without second thought... yeah, it's doable.

Good luck.

And welcome to the joyful madness that is sharing your life with chooks!

silverlace Fri 17-Mar-17 21:28:06

That does sound rather expensive. Is it one of those with a built in run that you are looking at? Not sure what fox repellent is but I bet it doesn't work. As others have suggested look on ebay to find a cheaper house.

Hens are great fun. I love just standing and watching ours. As to eating them, tell your husband if they are laying hens everything goes into producing eggs, they carry very little meat and what they do would be awfully tough!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now