Talk

Advanced search

Gah - People!

(8 Posts)
LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:08:24

This is a very small AIBU in the grand scheme of things - in fact it's two really but they both are massive niggles.
The flower shop where I work is in an arcade and is more like a glorified stall - it's very big but everything - working area included- is on show so there is nowhere to tuck yourself away when having a cup of tea, for example. It looks lovely and colourful and it's flattering that people want to stop and admire it.
Loads of people take pictures of it but I would say only 10% ever ask if they may. I would prefer to get out of the way if they want a picture no one needs a picture of my arse and am happy that we get exposure on FB and Twitter and IG as a result. But so many people walk very close to me, completely ignore me, snap away and then walk off even as I'm saying hello to them.
Being exposed like this means our big, garden sized bin is also very much in evidence. It needs to be as we are always working into it/ sweeping up leaves etc. However, passers by CONSTANTLY use it to throw their crap into it without a by your leave. Metros, food waste, coffee cups ( often full, which is fun), chewing gum, even had dirty nappies in the past thanks for that. Tried a lid, people just lift it up.
Now obviously I would rather people threw their rubbish away rather than just dump it on the floor but AIBU to wish that people would just say "May I..?" before assuming it's a public bin when it very clearly isn't?
And " Hi! Your shop is lovely! May I take a photo?" Or even the universal eyebrow raise if language is a barrier.

Actually, what I'm asking is AIBU to wish more people had manners?

Lalunya85 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:12:15

Yanbu
flowers

butterfly990 Fri 17-Mar-17 19:19:15

Maybe you need some comical signs to get the point across like

"we love our flowers to appear on facebook, Instagram just give me the nod to get out of the way of the photo" Something worded a bit funnier.

In respect of the bin, "We are raising money for XYZ charity so would appreciate a coin for using our bin smile "

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:22:28

Both of those are great ideas Butterfly
A charity sign would be preferable to me barking "YOU'RE WELCOME!" at people 100 times a day. grin

GoodDayToYou Fri 17-Mar-17 19:23:50

Yanbu. Wish them well (in your head) and carry on regardless. flowers

pho3be Fri 17-Mar-17 19:24:25

Is it a garden waste bin? If so make it very obvious/put up signs

GoodDayToYou Fri 17-Mar-17 19:24:34

X post. Love Butterfly's ideas

LadyOfTheCanyon Fri 17-Mar-17 19:33:45

It's such a small thing but it's really hard when you work with the public and you are perceiving niggles like this hundreds of times a day to plaster a smile on constantly. One guy last week threw his McDonald's bag at my feet. I chased him round the corner and handed it back to him with a "you dropped this!" ( he took it back, whilst also saying "Fucks sake!")

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now