Talk

Advanced search

Insisting ds takes medicine from chemist

(53 Posts)
Theyhaveallbeenused2 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:37:47

Ds has a bit of a nasty cough so have gave him the medicine we were given by pharmacy. It's his night to go to his dads so told ex I would send medicine in. He replied he will just get him medicine. I insisted he takes what he has been used to. Been made to feel iabu am I?

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:39:34

God it's exhausting isn't it - the struggle for basic cooperation. YANBU.

RebootYourEngine Fri 17-Mar-17 08:41:28

Why are some people so blooming awkward, is he always a dick.

onemorecupofcoffeefortheroad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:42:54

No you're not BU - sounds like ex is being unnecessarily difficult. I'd pack the medicine in DS's bag anyway and just let ex know it's there if needed. So, if DS won't take the medicine ex gets for him at least it's there as a back up. I don't think you can really 'insist' he uses it though as ex will do what he wants anyway from the sounds of it.

Doyouwantabrew Fri 17-Mar-17 08:44:35

Does he mean he wil buy the same medicine for use at his house if yes that's a good idea but if as I think you mean he will buy different medicine just to be awkward then he's an idiot.

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:44:53

Ex is usually difficult. He probably will do as he pleases but I really don't like the idea of mixing with medicine.

Doyouwantabrew Fri 17-Mar-17 08:44:54

Does he mean he wil buy the same medicine for use at his house if yes that's a good idea but if as I think you mean he will buy different medicine just to be awkward then he's an idiot.

Doyouwantabrew Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:25

Oops sorry twice. He is a twat isn't he. Why make things more difficult. Pack it anyway and he may just use it.

Ginmakesitallok Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:49

Without knowing what medicine your talking about its impossible to say whether or not yabu.

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:54

He will probably buy one down at tesco. The one I use the pharmacist prescribed

ErrolTheDragon Fri 17-Mar-17 08:49:16

Why the heck wouldn't he just use the medicine you've been advised to use by the pharmacy and prefer to go to the bother and expense of buying more (which may or may not be as appropriate)?confused

HelenaGWells Fri 17-Mar-17 08:49:44

If it has a prescription label on it just say this one is prescribed you can't just buy one. Then send it with your DS.

HelenaGWells Fri 17-Mar-17 08:51:05

Yanbu he is being unnecessarily obstructive.

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:52:57

Thanks was beginning to think I was bu. Think just has the hump as I have put my foot down regarding bedtime routine.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:54:42

Tell him that it is prescribed medicine so he needs to use this one.

Why do some parents do these awkward things when it's potentially harmful to their child? It makes me so mad.

Annesmyth123 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:55:37

A pharmacist can't prescribe. A doctor does that. Is it an over the counter medicine or one you got on prescription from the doctor?

If it's a prescription one, of course you should send it. (Eg an antibiotic or similar)

If it's a bottle from the chemist that you bought, then I don't see the harm in him buying another bottle of stuff. In that case - It's only a cough. The cough bottle will be broadly similar and make little difference.

IamFriedSpam Fri 17-Mar-17 08:55:42

Bloody hell why can't he just take the bloody medicine he already has.What an awkward arsehole.

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:56:15

Errol because he's using the situation to be obstructive and cause anxiety to the OP and begin an argument.

Annesmyth123 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:57:35

I would buy a bottle for my house. I did when mine were that age. I had my own carpool and cough bottle and expected exH to have the same. It wouldn't have occurred to me to cause a fuss if he'd said "I'll get a bottle from the chemist" or "I'll pick a bottle up". The only medicines that went back and forward were the ones that were prescribed by the doctor, not a bottle of stuff from the chemist.

Annesmyth123 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:57:47

*calpol

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:58:01

There's a difference between saying:

Ok, I'll get a bottle of it to use here. What's it called?

And

I'm not using that medicine. I'll get another one.

The first one makes sense. The second one is nutty.

Annesmyth123 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:00:11

My ex always used branded lemsip. Or calpol. I bought generic stuff.

We had our own standard cough bottles/antihistamines/calpol.

Glad to know I'm nutty though.

Annesmyth123 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:01:06

He can pick a different brand of cough medicine! It's controlling to insist on only One particular brand.

Theyhaveallbeenused2 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:02:30

I would just rather he took what is now in his system. And what he will take without a fuss tbh. Perhaps I'm nutty annesmyth

PatriciaHolm Fri 17-Mar-17 09:02:50

A pharmacist would have given you something you can buy over the counter. It's perfectly possible he'll be able to buy the exact same thing (or if it's kids cough medicine, something with the same efficacy).

He may has history as an arse. But in this case I don't necessarily see the issue. Having medicine in both places rather than lugging it to and fro would be easier, surely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now