We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not feed DS first thing in a morning?

(8 Posts)
Aliveinwanderland Fri 17-Mar-17 08:34:12

DS always feeds every 2 hours through the night, sometimes every 1.5 hours. I don't know how much he takes as he is breastfed but he falls off the boob drowsy and goes back down to sleep.

He has started not wanting a morning feed when he wakes up. I last fed him at 4:30am, he woke at 7:30am and I haven't managed to get him to feed yet. He is fine in himself just not interested. For the past week he has been having less and less as his first morning feed and only doing 2/3 minutes.

Should I keep trying him or just wait for some hunger signs later? Why is he not wanting this feed but still getting me up all night?!

ShowMePotatoSalad Fri 17-Mar-17 08:37:10

How old is your DS? Is he exclusively breast fed?

If yes then don't worry, he'll let you know when he wants milk.

honeylulu Fri 17-Mar-17 08:40:31

He's getting you up for comfort rather than hunger. But then not feeding in the morning because he's had regular top ups all night.
How old is he? If he's over 4 months he probably doesn't need milk at night. I used to dream feed mine at 11 and then not feed again until morning. (This view is unpopular with many people though).
I did still go to them and comfort them with cuddles if they needed it but they soon stopped waking at night at all once the lure of booby was gone!

Aliveinwanderland Fri 17-Mar-17 08:46:11

He is nearly 5 months. We have been trying a bottle of formula at his first night wake (around 9pm from a 7pm bedtime) but he will only take 60ml ish and that's a struggle as he just chews the teat.

Highmaintenancefemalestuff Fri 17-Mar-17 14:17:34

Dd from the moment she was born would never take a feed as soon as she woke up. She would wake 4am have 1oz then up at 7. There was never any point in even attempting to feed her until 8.30-9, she just wouldn't take it. He will let you know if he's hungry and as long as he's putting on weight I wouldn't worry.
I know my self I can't eat as soon as I get up, maybe some babies are the same.

Witchend Fri 17-Mar-17 14:26:51

Dd2 was like that. I used to get to about midday and think, "oh she's getting a bit crabby" then remember she hadn't fed since 4am.

Dd1 and ds both had a big feed when they woke (8am) then would have another at 10am, and then have another 12-1pm.

Now dd2 is 13yo and still isn't keen on eating first thing in the morning, and nor am I.

Trifleorbust Fri 17-Mar-17 14:41:04

He will be hungry when he is hungry, don't worry.

TotalPineapple Fri 17-Mar-17 14:41:39

DD is six months and has never been all that interested first thing in the morning, she too feeds two hourly at night since about four months (she used to go longer).

I've tried telling her that she doesn't need it through the night and that she's just using me for comfort, but she just cried until I gave in and fed her, at which point she went to sleep. Sometimes gently patting her will do the trick, but only rarely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now