Talk

Advanced search

MIL never replies to messages

(38 Posts)
Pashworth Fri 17-Mar-17 08:22:41

Whenever I send a message to my MIL she will take days to read them & never replies. I can see that she is online & comments on other people's posts on FB etc

LilacSpatula Fri 17-Mar-17 08:23:44

Call her instead? Some people don't have messenger or don't notice messages if through Facebook. I'd certainly reply quicker to a text.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 17-Mar-17 08:24:15

So don't message her. She obviously doesn't want to communicate that way.

TheNaze73 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:33:51

Ring her then

Pashworth Fri 17-Mar-17 08:45:43

She has messenger., she has everything & replies to other people. I don't see why I should make extra effort when she cannot

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 17-Mar-17 08:49:11

I don't reply to anyone instantaneously by any source except phone calls. It's not personal to that person, it's down to how busy I am or what I'm doing when they contact me. I'm not at someone else's beck and call, nor are you and nor is she.

If you know it doesn't work, don't do it!

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:52:49

Don't message her. . Lots of mners would love an excuse not to contact mil!!

KateDaniels2 Fri 17-Mar-17 08:55:38

Ring her? Maybe she feels a message isnt putting any effort in.

Meowstro Fri 17-Mar-17 09:20:11

If it's important then call her and stick to that rule. If not, try texting and if you get the same issue, don't bother contacting her at all when it's not crucial if she can't give you the courtesy of a message back.

Pashworth Fri 17-Mar-17 09:22:05

Why so angry with the apostrophe! My my someone is full of their opinion being right

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:26:30

That's weird OP. Seems a bit rude of her. What's she like to you in person?

Pashworth Fri 17-Mar-17 09:31:51

All smiles and kisses 😐

skippy67 Fri 17-Mar-17 09:33:24

Maybe she just doesn't like you that much.

HecateAntaia Fri 17-Mar-17 09:35:01

why do you message her? do you actually need to?
I would just stop messaging her tbh.

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:36:42

Even weirder! I've no idea then. What are you saying in your message? Is she reading it?

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:37:08

That's unkind skippy!

HecateAntaia Fri 17-Mar-17 09:37:12

what do you mean about apostrophe and opinion?

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 17-Mar-17 09:40:37

In my personal experience, I've found that some older people don't understand about 'closing the loop' with texting and Messenger. So, they read it, think, "Ok!", and carry on but not reply. In the same way that you don't reply to a note left in the fridge or the kitchen table.

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:43:14

Yes I've found that too with some people Penelope. It's quite frustrating. They read the message and don't reply. Unlike some people that reply and when I've replied will then send me xxx then I will send a smiley face and then so will they! Never ending grin

blueskyinmarch Fri 17-Mar-17 09:45:18

How do you know she replies to other people? You can’t see her other messages. Do you ask specific questions? My DD2 only replies to messages if i ask her a question. Otherwise she reads and doesn't reply.

What are you talking about with the apostrophe? No-one mentioned an apostrophe.

highinthesky Fri 17-Mar-17 09:53:03

MIL is passive aggressive and has subliminal hatred for you, OP.

Stop messaging her.

NavyandWhite Fri 17-Mar-17 09:54:07

Ffs I hope that was a joke highinthesky!

gnushoes Fri 17-Mar-17 09:57:33

So contact her a different way. She may not really like messaging as much as you do. Or ask her?

DonkeysDontRideBicycles Fri 17-Mar-17 10:08:43

If she can manage other technology it seems odd she doesn't reply to your messages.
Someone I know really has trouble reading her texts so she asked me to write in capitals which seems like shouting.

I often have my phone to hand but the times I have just put it away in my bag or set itdown and gone upstairs or outside or to the loo when it rings and so miss a call are too numerous to count.
I really hope folk don't think I screen their calls or deliberately ignore them. blush I always scramble to ring or text back.

Allthebestnamesareused Fri 17-Mar-17 10:46:31

My Mum doesn't actually know how you PM on FB and always sends so called private messages direct to people's timelines. I therefore never use that form of messaging if I am expecting an instant reply. she lives abroad and I have gotten my niece time and again to show how how to PM and where my messages will be but to no avail. I am sure its not personal.

Pick up the phone and speak to her if you need to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now