Talk

Advanced search

To think exercise is supposed to help with anxiety

(16 Posts)
TheoriginalLEM Thu 16-Mar-17 20:42:25

so today i overdid it on a cycling ride. was such a lovely ride and our ten miler turned into circa 40 miles shock

So as well as hurting all over (fine im a rusty overweight cyclist) am sat here on the verge of a panic attack. Managing to hold it together (just). Am two weeks post stopping ADs after a SLOW withdrawal so doubt it is that.

Ate a lovely pub lunch and don't feel hungry but forced down an orange.

Whats happening? low blood sugar? high blood pressure?

can you lovely vipers distract meplease

Coldhandscoldheart Thu 16-Mar-17 20:46:23

Bath? With radox or something in it.
I think exercise helps more over the long term maybe, and being sore all over can make you feel a bit funny.
More food too, something warm like a cup of tea & toast?

AwkwardSquad Thu 16-Mar-17 20:47:40

It might be some kind of seratonin blip? I found I had some ups and downs coming off ADs.

Well done you on that amazing bike ride. Would mentally retracing your journey help distract from the panicky feeling?

Waitingonasmile Thu 16-Mar-17 20:48:27

You are probably completely exhausted and that can't be helping. flowers

TheoriginalLEM Thu 16-Mar-17 20:54:46

love the idea of retracing the ride. thanks. Dp has been making offerings of food -avocado is helping

toolonglurking Thu 16-Mar-17 20:58:09

You 'bonked' I think. Very common when cycling, you went further than you had planned - did you have water/an energy bar/flapjack?
Seriously, (carefully) google 'bonk' and 'cycling' and you'll read loads of posts about people training and getting their nutrition right.

harderandharder2breathe Thu 16-Mar-17 20:59:29

Any new thing or change can be anxiety inducing even something good like an epic cycle ride. Add in coming off ADs and I'm not surprised you're a bit wobbly! Try not to feel guilty or blame yourself for feeling bad when you "should" be feeling better, you can only feel what you feel.

Distraction helps me, something mindless when I'm bad like colouring or a simple craft. Or someone I love talking to me about nothing in particular just telling me about their day.

Yes to having something to eat to stop blood sugar crashing, whatever you can face eating have it (but avocado is wonderfully healthy so well done there!).

Likeaninjanow Thu 16-Mar-17 21:01:39

I also think you've 'bonked'. I've had that happen and went with lots of fluid, including some sweet tea, and an early night.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 16-Mar-17 21:08:39

Will Google bonking! can't wait to tell Dp we may have "bonked" today.

We had a pub lunch complete with beer and was definitely in need of something to eat by then. Had a lovely bugger the calories meal and a pint (probably a mistake!) but managed the cyclehome really well (and it was mostly downhill and with the wind).

feeling a bit better now but it was definitely too far, fell victim to the weather and the thrill of cycling somewhere new. oh and i reckon "Kent downs" should have been a vlue that there would be a few hills mountains

toolonglurking Thu 16-Mar-17 21:16:38

Well done you for getting home, you should be very proud of yourself!
Have a rest, don't let this experience put you off, and next time you head out on your bike chuck a wee something in your pocket.

Alice212 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:21:05

I have anxiety and over exercising can make it worse
Adrenaline
I think your body doesn't know the difference between adrenaline sparked by a good or bad thing?
Combined with med withdrawal. I think that's it, hopefully won't happen again.

I have low blood sugar and low blood pressure and have to be careful when I get the feeling of "I should go for a longer run because I can keep going", easy mistake to make.

TheoriginalLEM Thu 16-Mar-17 21:30:43

yep i reckon its adrenaline! but 4 hours later? heart isn't exactly racing but its definitely faster than normal.

I read about bonking and its very interesting. Tbh i doubt we will manage too many epic rides like todays but will definitely have some carbs on us just in case. not sure that is what i have just now though but can pretty much identify exactly on the ride where i almost bonked but was saved by arrival at our destination and a good dinner. Something I've been lacking recently as on a low calorie diet.

Going to rethink my weight loss regime as i don't think i am getting the balance right. im impatient and have about four stone to lose blush i have been running rather than cycling but not regularly as i work long hours so today was a bit of a binge as dp was able to havea day off with me. rate.

Thanks so much for the advice it has given me alot to think about.

Alice212 Thu 16-Mar-17 21:55:24

Yes 4 hours later.

"I read about bonking and its very interesting"
I'm not sure what effect that's having grin

TheoriginalLEM Thu 16-Mar-17 22:07:55

It made Dp grin but i think there has been quite enough bonking for one day so he'll be laughing on t'other side of his face later.

slowly feeling more human --makes mental note to buy more avocados"

Alice212 Thu 16-Mar-17 22:27:11

grin
Also, obvs everyone's different but regardless of what I can eat - I have eat carefully due to ruddy ADs - I can still run myself into adrenaline overdrive. So even when I've made the mistake and had the right recovery snacks I've still felt awful.

I used to work shifts and managed to stop myself after a couple of incidents of running too long in the morning and then still feeling awful at work -blush

Ohyesiam Thu 16-Mar-17 23:05:24

Google EFT, emotional freedom technique. Seems woo, but had come through some scientifically robust trials as a great way to help with any feelings you don't want to be experiencing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now