What time is acceptable to use a hairdryer until?

(31 Posts)
kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:31:44

Need to wash my hair. It's very long and naturally curly,, so takes forever to dry naturally.
I live in an end terrace house. Is 8pm too late to use a hairdryer? It would take me no longer than 15 minutes to dry it. (Should I just towel dry my hair as best I can instead?)
(And no I couldn't wash my hair any earlier to avoid the problem).

Wishiwasmoiradingle2017 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:32:38

I wouldn't say using one at anytime would make you a nuisance neighbour tbh!!

IGotTheMustardOut Thu 16-Mar-17 19:34:07

How thin are your walls if your neighbours can hear your hair dryer?

DJBaggySmalls Thu 16-Mar-17 19:34:53

My tenancy agreement states no noise after 10pm through to 8am. 8pm isnt too late. In any case, its not like you're drilling and putting up shelves.

ArchNotImpudent Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:00

Are you sure your hairdryer is audible next door - have your neighbours said something? I don't think 8pm is too late for 15 mins using a hairdryer, in any event.

Pengweng Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:04

I think that's fine. After 10pm maybe a bit annoying bit it's not something that is likely to last all night.

Sometimes I have to dry my hair really early in the morning (before 6am) so I do it downstairs as my bedroom is right next door to my neighbours bedroom and I wouldn't want to wake her up with it.

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:32

In all my life I've never heard someone in another house using a hair dryer.

What hairdryer do you have that people next door can hear?????

MiddleClassProblem Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:37

I used mine at 11 as a one off last week. 8pm would def be fine, for me 9 is the general cut off but last week, needs must.

user1471545174 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:35:43

A hairdryer at 8pm wouldn't bother me, and I am intolerant of all neighbour noises.

MiddleClassProblem Thu 16-Mar-17 19:36:18

Although I would never be bothered if someone else did it, just my mental note cut off

kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:36:44

I don't know if they can tbh. The houses are quite old (Victorian terraces). So probably not.
I suppose I've just always worried about such things, whether necessary or not.

ArchNotImpudent Thu 16-Mar-17 19:37:24

Also - do all your rooms adjoin the neighbours - if you're concerned, could you use a part of the house that doesn't share a wall?

apostropheuse Thu 16-Mar-17 19:37:24

Surely you can use your hairdryer whenever you want. Your neighbours won't even hear it next door, unless your walls are paper thin.

Gwenhwyfar Thu 16-Mar-17 19:37:27

I think it's unlikely it can heard and a hairdryer is something that's normal to use before bed or after getting up so I don't see how anyone can complain really. What I don't like is people using the washing machine at night and the fact that my neighbours' bathroom fans come on automatically and take a while to stop whirring after someone's left the bathroom.

weeblueberry Thu 16-Mar-17 19:38:14

Have you heard others using a hairdryer? If not you can probably safely assume they don't hear you either?

mistermagpie Thu 16-Mar-17 19:38:54

I live in an end terrace and it would never occur to me in a million years to worry about the noise of my hairdryer! On the flip side, I have never once heard my neighbour dry her hair either. I can just about hear her washing machine sometimes but only if it's totally silent in my own house.

ArchNotImpudent Thu 16-Mar-17 19:39:35

Someone here might be able to recommend a quiet hair dryer (not me, though, I drip-dry mine).

foxyloxy78 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:40:13

All good until 10 pm

Sunnysky2016 Thu 16-Mar-17 19:40:44

Don't worry just go for it. I live in a flat and you would be surprised what can not be heard.
I will say it is very kind of you to be so considerate though

Gunpowder Thu 16-Mar-17 19:46:54

I live in a Victorian terrace and have never worried about using my hairdryer at any time! As a previous poster says I wouldn't do something like drilling after 8pm or mow the lawn before 9ish in the morning. Surely hairdryer's too quiet to wake someone unless you are sharing a flat with very thin walls?

kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:12:16

The only room that doesn't is the kitchen and a narrow hallway.
Come to think of it I've never heard anything like that from next door. The most I've heard is the Hoover when she's hoovering the side of the room directly the other side of our walls.
Thanks everyone, I'll go for it.
Takes sip of wine and starts to dry hair

harderandharder2breathe Thu 16-Mar-17 20:14:13

8pm isn't late and a hairdryer is normal household noise. Don't give it a second thought!

Forager Thu 16-Mar-17 20:19:13

I'd use a hairdryer any time of day or night. I can't imagine any hairdryer would be loud enough to travel through walls to the neighbours.

specialsubject Thu 16-Mar-17 20:22:57

Stay in a building in new Zealand with Americans who dry hair at 6am and you will find otherwise...

In real buildings, 8pm is fine.

kel1493 Thu 16-Mar-17 20:58:59

All dried and straightened. Thanks again everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now