Talk

Advanced search

To always feel way more ravenous after swimming than after any other exercise?

(45 Posts)
OrlandoTheCat Thu 16-Mar-17 17:46:42

Just that.

Annoying really as swimming is my favourite exercise but I always seem to undo all the good by downing a hearty meal after....

Dozer Thu 16-Mar-17 17:47:44

I am the same, only after swimming!

Amibeingtoosensitive Thu 16-Mar-17 17:48:17

Do you drink water whilst swimming? As you would do if running.....

daffodildandeliondaisy Thu 16-Mar-17 17:48:29

Yes, lol. Think it's the cold water!

PaulaBBB Thu 16-Mar-17 17:50:06

Yep, it's because you get so cold smile

Schwifty Thu 16-Mar-17 17:51:33

And if I swallow any pool water it gives me massive burps about an hour after = more space for food! (Pleasant)

minipie Thu 16-Mar-17 17:55:25

Yep it's because you are burning calories keeping yourself warm as well as doing exercise. So eat away!

Cellardoor23 Thu 16-Mar-17 18:43:38

I'm the same. I usually feel exhausted as well, even after a very moderate swim. This was like me the other week. I took my DC with me so I wasn't really doing much. I think I did a couple of lengths max while my OH looked after him. I think part of it must be the heat as well. As I find even though the pool can be cold, I'm sweating in the changing room.

Rainbunny Thu 16-Mar-17 18:51:02

I read that because you swim in water which is a cold environment it increases your appetite as your body sees food as a way to warm up again afterwards whilst land based activities warm us up which suppresses our appetites.

noeffingidea Thu 16-Mar-17 18:57:16

It doesn't increase my appetite. I can swim for about 90 minutes non stop on an empty stomach and then have a normal size breakfast. Today I swam for an hour then had a slice of cheese on toast when I got home and felt fine.
I never feel cold swimming either, in fact I hate it when the water is too warm because I feel too sweaty.

QueenofLouisiana Thu 16-Mar-17 19:03:24

A hour of swimming can burn 450 calories, even just at a light pace. Vigorous swimming burns over 700! Which may explain the hunger.

Also you need to drink while swimming, as you will sweat and dehydrate. That will make you feel hungry too.

Best thing is either a carb snack within 20 mins of getting out the pool or a drink of chocolate milk.

CombineBananaFister Thu 16-Mar-17 19:06:35

YANBU, me too! only after swimming - could eat a scabby donkey grin

paperandpaint Thu 16-Mar-17 19:18:52

I eat more after 15 minutes bobbing about in the water than after running a half marathon! I lost loads of weight running as I was never hungry after a run. Swimming though - disaster and way harder than running!

lljkk Thu 16-Mar-17 19:27:40

hmm... swimming (2km) doesn't make me that hungry at all.
Getting old, I suppose.

yumscrumfatbum Thu 16-Mar-17 19:32:34

As a child we always had a cone of chips after a Saturday morning swim. I always thought it was that association that made me hungry after swimming!

OrlandoTheCat Thu 16-Mar-17 19:59:15

I'm with noeffingidea on hating the water being too hot.

I only really enjoy swimming in outdoor lidos now. Not saying I am hardy and swim in unheated outdoor lidos. Heated ones in winter. I like to take a lungful of fresh air when I turn to breathe.

I dearly wish I could not go and crave my own body weight in food after..

IamFriedSpam Thu 16-Mar-17 20:03:02

YES! If I don't eat straight away after swimming I get massively hangry and just can't be around anyone. I thought it might be that you lose so much heat in the pool that it affects your blood sugar?

NotCarylChurchill Thu 16-Mar-17 20:05:00

To this day I associate swimming with vending machine scalding watery hot chocolate and salt and vinegar crisps so strongly, every time I clean the bathroom the chlorine smell of bleach makes me crave them.

Firesuit Thu 16-Mar-17 20:08:45

I went on a five-day swimming camp when I was a skinny 16-year-old boy. By the end I had lost over 10 pounds, despite eating a loaf or two of bread and butter over and above my ordinary meals, every single day. The fact that I was spending a few hours a day in water between 0 and 5 degrees Celsius was probably a bigger factor than the actual exercise. (Seriously, there were mornings when there was a thin layer of ice on the pool.)

FeckinCrutches Thu 16-Mar-17 20:09:10

Klix hot chocokate
Salt and vinegar chipsticks
Twix

These are the only acceptable foods after swimming.

RortyCrankle Thu 16-Mar-17 20:24:09

After swimming as a child a bag of chips and a Wagon Wheel were obligatory. That was back in the day when Wagon Wheels were HUGE, not the miniscule little things they are today.

Dozer Thu 16-Mar-17 20:49:36

Ah post swimming childhood snacks! Always from the vending machine.

Yes yes carolchurchill! That hot chocolate was weird, and there was a funny soup too with bits in. Had forgotten!

RockyBird Thu 16-Mar-17 20:52:08

I always sleep in the morning after a swim.

BigGreenOlives Thu 16-Mar-17 20:54:26

Swimming is much harder for beginners, technique makes so much difference.

Acornantics Thu 16-Mar-17 21:00:35

Fish n chips biscuity-crisp things from a 1980s leisure centre vending machine!

But yes, I want to eat my arm after a good swim, and invariably need a short nap in the hours afterwards.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now